New MRI of the Spine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a new MRI of the spine, as I'm on my fourth Rheum because the Humira does not help me. He was thinking DISH and not AS because my 3rd gene test came back negative.

But the MRI says it's AS.

More importantly the MRI says my SPINE is MUCH worse (WooHoo) and it talks about anterior bony perforation throughout the thoracic spine. I assume this means what I think it means? Sorry I don't have more details. A little more context, my diaphragm is bothering my heart and causing me breathing issues; my Acid Reflux has also flared up and drugs don't seem to help. I've also had low iron for quite some time, but that's likely unrelated since I've had it so long.

Not overly worried about this, since I don't have more details, but if someone could shed some light on the medical jargon above I would appreciate it.

Thanks

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

I’m not sure what DISH is and bony perforation anterior sounds like it is protruding toward the aorta but that doesn’t sound right ...do you have the report? And when you say the third gene test was negative...do you mean they did the HLAb27 three times?
    • Posted

"Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH) and ankylosing spondylitis (AS) share involvement of the axial skeleton and peripheral entheses. ... The confusion may extend to the clinical field because both advanced DISH and advanced AS may cause the same limitations of spinal mobility and postural abnormalities"

Yes, test 1 (not PCR) was positive, but the 2nd and 3rd tests were negative, but they still put me on Humira, as the original MRI/x-rays and subsequent x-rays said it was AS. This MRI also says it's AS, but again no active spondylarthritis. So it's the immaculate spondylitis. :-)

Yeah I get that it sounds like the bone spurs are poking into my body, but there is no detail about where or how bad. All I know is that I've been having some unexplained issues with my diaphragm, stomach and my GERD has been acting up. I won't know until I talk to the Rheumatologist and possibly have more tests. The little I could find on this talks about it affecting the esophagus.

For all I know it's not significant at all, but I thought someone here might have some experience with this. I'm just disappointed the spurs aren't growing the other way, like a Stegosaurus. Just think of the advantages on the Tube! frown

• Posted

Read where in some cases the AS gene is negative with confirmed xrays. I also have GERD issues which in past required balloons open E so could swallow. Also receive infusion of iron every couple years. Think all immune related. Humira worked for me, Enbrel didn't. Just our particular bodies response. I just started Cosentyx, had side effect with Humira after several years. Spurs etc would concern me around chest. Sounds like my osteoarthritis in back and neck. But not to your level. Hope you get Dr that can dissect all the MRI results for you. Can't recommend Cosentyx since only had 2nd injection of load phase. Best!

• Posted

Thanks Gary, I'm kinda hoping not, as I've been looking for a resolution to these issues for three years. The reason Humira does not help me is because I've never shown active inflammation. So either my Arthritis is using guerilla warfare and they've never tested my inflammation at the right time or it's some atypical variant of AS.

Thanks for the reply.

• Posted

ESR and CRP blood work should show inflammation. Enbrel didn't work for me. Humira did then had switch to Cosentyx due to side effects.

• Posted

No, both are practically non existent. I only only had a high CRP value once and that was years ago, before i had these issues. It's not stopping my spine from ossifying though. The MRI says exuberant bony proliferation... Not a word I would expect to see in an MRI. LOL.

• Posted

That is different. For 36 years my sed rate and crp has been high spec even on DMARDS and biologics. My AS is still in sacral joints. I do have osteoarthritis in back and neck. Hope you find relief.
  • Posted

Did you mean anterior bony formation through out the thoracic spine? AS causes ligament calcification causing bony for.ations and it could mean your anterior longitudinal ligament, the ligament that runs along the front if your spine attaching to each vertebra is forming bony spurs that may cause the vertebrae to fuse. That may be the distinguishing feature from DISH.

I'm on Cosentyx and it seems to help a great deal. I have been on it since April. It's different than Humira, acts on a different inflammatory pathway.

I hope you find what works for you.

• Posted

Hi, saw in your post you're on Consentyx. I was on Humira then developed side effect. Taken second injection of loading dose of Cosentyx. How long did it take for drug give you benefit? Thanks

• Posted

No I meant perforation. I know what an Osteophyte is, I have lots of them. The question is what is being perforated and how badly. It's probably a wild goose chase.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Gary, I slowly noticed less pain in my hips and knees after the second loading dose. It's been 4 months and I stopped taking my NSAID, Voltaren. My feet still feel a bit inflamed but doesn't stop me from walking functional distances. I can do step aerobics now and it helps. I hope it works well for you too.

• Posted

Thanks Lilly hope Consentyx works that quickly for me. Third injection coming Tuesday. Hopefully, continues for you. Any side effects please communicate. Best
    • Posted

Hi Gary,

At first during the loading doses I had to take NSAID, Voltaren with it but then in the last two months I stopped the NSAID. I read somewhere online that a few percentage of patients had anxiety when taken together and I was sensing anxiety.

• Posted

Hi Lilly Yes I'm breaking 5mg of valium in half and taking at night. Also, 50mg of Tramadol with Voltaren gel. Still painful with. good posture but bearable. Best

• Posted

I am on Enbrel since 2012 , i stop 2014 to operate thyroid cancer they no allow TNF blockers for 5 years , i be back but last time i was use was 16 says on march i leave a gap of 3 months , i become sick ,Humira i try others try enbrel one year no work the hunira then remicade then try congentin , it is true everyone is different in bloos type enzymes etc none of us is same what may work on me no work on some , i use sulphazaline 500 direct release wiyh celebrex 100 this works tge predisolone hade side effects om

Me methotraxate i try ones i no see it for me , this disorder is very complex , very very complex , your body make the protein TNF the immune is like a crazy pilot who attack itself , i see few good professors it is complex MRI i do try what is best i think we need jesus 

• Posted

Hi Ted. Fills like going in circles with biologics. I'm on Cosentyx also, just took 3rd loading dose. Dr did give me tramadol, 50mg x2. Helps take edge off and use Voltaren. Didn't see Simponi on your list. My insurance didn't like it. Im going give cosentyx try and do exactly what it says. Had Melanoma while on Humira. Hope get blessed where this one works with no "C" side effects. Best to you Ted.

• Posted

They have never tried Sulfadiazine or Methotrexate, but they did try prednisone for my breathing. The prednisome did not seem to help. I think the reason Humira does not seem to help me is that I don't have any inflammatory markers. But whether this is true all the time I don't know. It's possible that it is stopping my disease from progressing; I don't know. It does seem to help other parts of my body, because of the tendinitis elsewhere.

• Posted

In order to understand what you have your ESR CRP must be high This my friend is a gene called HLAB27 but you need to how inflammation associated with to be AS as I am HUMIRA is monocle antibioty TNF many have issues , the biological drugs do work but are dangerous they block the receptors who the immune needed to fight cancer cells , if you no have inflammation markers like ESR CRP why they put you on HUMIRA ? We cannot do expirement with the biologists is dangerous, Enbrel last one week but also can cause issues what we have is blood disorder but do tests ESR CRP if the inflammation is High together with HLAB27 is ankylosing spondylitis this disorder is vey dangerous and inherited there is no cure if we can control it they is the cure , the Consentyn you mention work differently but what fit on you plus make sure you have AS based on MRI Plus the ECR CRP if high that is how you know or use some sulphazaline 500 direst release with Celebrex 100 it works I use it , no to much suppression the immune system is no recommended, there are side effects my friend out of that and lymphoma can occurred we need to beware I try what is safe in moderation plus hydrotherapy plus remedial massage and good nutrition unfortunately this disorder is no okay is very complex very complex but we need to get a solution remember you can be attacked by your immune Any time without notice 
    • Posted

Yeah, but my last gene test was negative, so that's why they were thinking DISH, as I have the calcification without inflammation. But the MRI said nope, it's definitely A.S.. Although you can have A.S without the gene, so I guess I've got some weird variant. I'll see what the Rheum has to say about the MRI. He's on vacation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.