New on sertraline

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone.

I have recently been prescribed Sertraline for PTSD. I am in my late 50's and have trained in psychology and mental health and so I am fairly knowledgeable about medication and other forms of help. I'm also a trained psychodynamic counsellor, even though I no longer practice.

Over the years I have been on a few different SSRI's , usually as a result of some difficulties/family deaths etc. .. life stuff.

As I am very slim, I tend to be very sensitive to large doses of any medication. It makes sense to me that if someone has a low BMI but are prescribed the same dose as someone who is large, they will metabolise the drug differently.

The GP I spoke with last week was outstanding. She was on the phone with me for around 30 minutes and incredible compassionate and had so much empathy for my particular situation. It is the first time in many years I have experienced that with a GP. A very positive discussion. She even said that she wanted to get advice from the MH team with regard to which medication would benefit me the most, rather than just taking pot luck.

She phoned me back a few hours later to say that Sertraline would be the best and to start of 25mg. She also advised that (due to initial raised anxiety from the sertraline), it would be a good idea to take 2 x 2mg diazepam per day. Or at least to see how I feel and use them in I need to. She knows I'm very sensible with medication and even though diazepam are a controlled drug and you can build up a tolerance to them, I have never experienced that. The benefits of using them if I need to, whilst the sertraline settle down, is better than having a frightening raised anxiety.

I have read a lot of various posts but felt I'd like to add my own. I guess we are all looking for 'positive' reassurance in the beginning. And goodness knows, there have always been enough negative reviews online. Whilst I am a health conscious woman and prefer not to take medication for anything, I am also sensible and I do need these to regain some quality of life again.

This is Day 7 for me and whilst I feel a little tired, I am sleeping really well and able to motivate myself to get out of bed in the morning, and complete chores, I still have that awful sense of fluttering heart rate and that feeling at the back of my mind that I'm about to receive bad news for something or that I'll never feel like my old self again. I know of course that this is a symptom of the PTSD but it's incredible draining. My normal self has always been as a very adventurous, cheerful and confident woman. So, this is really alien to me. I feel a prisoner based on my thoughts.

I have also reluctantly agreed to some CBT although my first telephone assessment isn't until 28th July. As I was trained in person centred therapy, I have always been slightly cynical regarding short term CBT as I think that each person is individual and they each have a back story that affects how they see the world and themselves. However, my GP was incredibly supportive and so I will give it a go. I did try EMDR for PTSD but that did not do anything for me.

It seems to be trial and error as to who of us responds positively with medication. I've noticed already that I'm extremely thirsty and my facial skin looks awful and dehydrated. I'm downing water like it's going out of fashion.

Are these side effects short lasting until the medication kicks in properly? I have also noticed that the texture of my hair has become brittle. This happened once before with another SSRI. It's not great when you start to lose your hair!

Be lovely to hear from someone who has PTSD who is using sertraline, as I'd like to hear how you have found it. It's specifically this condition that I am interested in.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had an absolutely horrendous time taking 25mg Sertraline that landed me in Hospital. I have no idea why I reacted this way as I was on another SSRI last year with no major side effects. It was as if I had the worst flu of my whole life & could not even lift my head off of my pillow or walk properly. My mental health became something extremely scary and I wanted to take my own life which is really not normal for me. I reacted after the first pill but carried on for 7 days as I assumed the side effects would subside but it just got worse & an ambulance was called out. I am a minority though as most people do not react this way and I personally know people who have had great success with Sertraline. It is just so baffling how some people can react so differently to the same medication as others. It took me 3 full weeks to recover after stopping the medication as it was like getting over the worst illness of my life and I could hardly walk from my bed to the toilet without feeling faint and my heart would race. Very scary experience! If you have not had any major side effects then it seems as though it will work well for you!

• Posted

I forgot to add that I have PTSD and Panic Disorder

• Posted

Gosh, you poor thing. That sounds like an awful experience. There are always an unfortunate minority of people who will suffer adversely like this on certain medication.

All the best to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.