New on the tablets

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey all,

I have just started the tablets (2 days ago) and was worried about the side effects. Last night i had the 'oily gas' experience for the first time and i panicked! But after reading all ur comments i guess its not abnormal for the tablets to make u do that.

I have started eating more healthily and am following the GI diet rules from now on (i also have PCOS). I think the food i ate a few days before i started taking the tablets are the reason for my embarrasing gas.

Any tips side effects etc will be welcomed!

Cheers - Red

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Me again - also i have just started orlistat and my doctor has given me metformin.

She has said to try the orlistat first then go on to use the metformin with it.

Does anyone already do this???

Ta - Red

• Posted

the gas is normal and most people get it, oily gas on the other hand is a sign you've had too much fat sometime in the last 48 hours, you shouldn't pass gas with oil or have any oil leaking if you're keeping low fat
  • Posted

Hi, assuming you are using metformin because you are diabetic. If so, suprised as the Dr said use orlistat first. Would assume you use metformin to bring you sugar under control.

I have metformin for diabetis and on orlistat to get me weight down.

Have lost 2 stone so far, but very slow loosing the rest. Just keep plodding along.

• Posted

Hey guys thanks for replying.

Well after reading up i have figured out that the unhealthy food i ate 2 days before starting the tablets caused the oil. It's stopped now as i have been eating less fatty foods so i just need to keep it up right?

I havent got diabetes, the metformin has been given to me as a trail test on testing my PCOS - its known to help level out your body and hormones apparently, but my weight is the main thing to get rid of which should help level my hormones.

I seem to have come out in a rash too!! My face and chest and some on my back, and they are like spots not just rash like.

Anyone else get that or do you think i should go back to my doctor?? I feel like a right hypercondriac!!!!

Sorry guys sad

Ta - Red

• Posted

can you call your doctors and speak to a doc or nurse practitioner about the rash instead of going in?

i have PCOS and had read that metformin was used many years ago to help women with PCOS but they found that when they tested so many women there was nothing to suggest it worked any better than a group who were given a placebo

• Posted

You could also ring NHS direct or go and see a pharmacist about the rash. Boots normally have a private room for consultations. (Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know)

It sounds like you are having a few problems but as others have said, stick with it and yes, if you have reduced the fat and the oil has gone away you should be fine on those levels of fat.

Good luck

• Posted

hey guys,

I havent started on the metformin yet as wanted to give orlistat a go first.. didnt want loads of side effects all at once!

I have a nurse app on friday for blood tests so will get her to check out the rash then, i wasnt always the healthiest of eaters so it could be all the toxins coming out through my skin. - hopefully!

I will do some reading on the metformin before i start taking it.... thanks for the heads up!

Hope you are all doing well! I am getting weighed on friday for the first time so i hope its been worth it!!!

smile - Red x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.