New onset of symptoms - can you help?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello

59 yr old male with no outstanding health issues. A bit overweight, not the most fit, but overall, can't really say I have known problems. Digestion-wise, things have always been pretty good. Could eat anything pretty much, any time, often with a good glass of wine.

In the past 10 days or so, I have observed the following:

1. Appetite loss, with a bit of nausea, no vomiting. Once I begin eating, I am fine. Stomach feels a bit sensitive before eating but fine afterwards.
  2. About 2 hrs after I eat, I feel a bit bloated and it feels like it takes forever for the food to get past the small intestine.
  3. I am not constipated, but my bowels have changed since onset. Less frequent and smaller amounts.
  4. I have not lost any weight.
  5. I am on PPIs and have been for years. No acid reflux
  6. Lots of gurgling, whether hungry or not
  7. So, symptoms from stomach to colon, with different sensations at each stage

For context, it is about one year that I have been quite stressed and worried for a family member's health, Additionally, i had to put my dog down 2 weeks ago, and these symptoms started about 4 days after. I had been grieving her already for months. I am thinking they might be related, but I don't know. As added context, I had my screening colonoscopy last year, all fine. I also had an abdominal CT scan a year ago for a very painful gastro that was also normal. Had a abdominal ultrasound 2 months ago to track and monitor a gallbladder polyp. All normal and stable there too.

Thinking this could be IBS but not sure. Debating whether i should wait a few more days and try some alternative remedies or whether I should head for the clinic which may trigger an entire battery of scans and scopes.

Any insight, similar experiences or guidance would be appreciate.

t

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You have had a lot of negative tests already. Since stress is involved and the symptoms started 4 days after putting your dog down, this sounds like IBS which does not show on any scan or test. Has IBS been mentioned?My IBS began after six months of stress. The final bout of stress triggered my symptoms two months afterwards. When everything else has been ruled out, IBS can be diagnosed. Go back to your doctor to get a confirmed diagnosis a d ask if additional tests are needed.

• Posted

thank you for your reply. i am going for some imaging this week and we'll see what that brings. i always fear the worst with these tests. i work in the field of oncology and who knows what could be lurking inside.

• Posted

I know your field of work will cause you to worry more. However, worry makes gut symptoms worse, especially IBS. Try to stay as calm as possible. The CT you have had is very accurate and would have picked up anything bad, but it hasn't done so and has shown normal results. This is good news for you. Your symptoms sound more like stress related IBS. Ask your doctor about IBS.

• Posted

The entire battery of scans and scopes may find the problem. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.