New pain?

Posted , 3 users are following.

It's many months since I have been on the forum. Covid has belittled aches and pains to minor worries in this new and frightening health landscape. However, am so beset and compromised by unusual morning pain that I wondered if forum members could advise on whether this is an expected progression of PMR or perhaps the start of arthritis. I have been on Prednisolone since my PMR diagnosis six years ago. I have never managed to get below 10mgs for any longer than a couple of weeks, so that is my current dose. For the past few weeks I have woken with severe pain in my hands, shoulders and back. I stay in bed with heat pads and after about three hours the pain dissipates. Could this be a flare I've not experienced before and do you suggest I reluctantly up the pred? Or is this what arthritis feels like? I am 73. Thank you - and hope all the owners of those memorable names and advisors from the old formatted forum are well and coping with today's scary health scenario.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

I have osteoarthritis and I have to say, my personal experience only, that it has never caused the degree of pain and disability you are describing. But not to say that it might be what's happening to you. Have you noticed any swelling of the joints? After six years at a dose of around 10 mg pred I wonder if your doctor has considered running you through the battery of tests they do in "differential diagnosis" where they look at anything which can cause the PMR symptoms.

• Posted

Thanks Anhaga for your suggestion. I think next time I am in England (when, oh when, I live in Zimbabwe) I need to have some advanced tests done. it is ridiculous that I can't get below 10mgs. I long to be rid of these Pred side effects. Meanwhile, take care in these times.

• Posted

Small world. I was born in Zimbabwe (called Southern Rhodesia back then). Only in Africa until I was 5 (several countries) and then to UK, and Canada by age 6. A very well-travelled child those years! Most of my family is in UK. There is an article which I will post separately as it will be moderated. The info about "differential diagnosis" is about halfway down the page.

• Edited

What a coincidence that you were born here. We are such a dwindling community of "foreign-rooted" Africans, one forgets how far those old Rhodesian tentacles spread - nor indeed how a miniscule sense of nationalism exists in those who once lived here. Zimbabwe is a hugely frustrating country (mainly because it has failed so spectacularly, mishandling our rich resources so unscrupulously), but has great appeal and I would hate to live anywhere else. For years I have seen your name on this forum; I now feel a kinship!

• Posted

You can have a flare not just because of reducing the dose but also because the disease activity ramps up. That can happen for all sorts of reasons - including stress. Is this "just" PMR? But I'm way ahead of you in dose and duration!!!

In the nicest possible way - good to see you!!!

• Posted

Thank you Eileen, as ever the Forum's go-to expert! I think this must be a flare because the pain is so much a morning occurrence, and then wears off a couple of hours after my Pred. I'm hoping if I live with it (and not up the dose), the flare will eventually subside. But don't know if this works in spite no doubt of millions of words of advice over the years from you and the other Forum stalwarts. I remember nostalgically when this journey started being told it would burn itself out after two years. Ho Hum!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.