New pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 11 weeks post tkr and up to now pain level low but today completely different. I did go for a walk yesterday about 45mins but rested on return and iced. Today another walk about 45mins again. Got home and iced. But this afternoon keep getting stabbing pain in left and right of knee. I'm not on any medication as such but resorted to 2 paracetamol. Is this normal or am I being too hasty and walking too much or too little. I walk without an aid just slowly and deliberately. Help

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ann 

I’m 12 weeks and just started feeling a twinge on the right side by the knee cap. This just in the last few days started up. I’m also numb on that side as well. I’m thinking for me, it’s probably because nerve endings are starting to come alive. Although I don’t walk around the block, I’m walking around the house and in the back yard for one reason or another. You mentioned it’s all of a sudden. You may be over doing it and your knee is telling you.  I’m also finding it hard to get motivated to shower or get moving. I’m hoping this is just temporary and when I get back to work next Monday things will eventually fall into place and I’ll get my energy back. Last week I started to take One A Day vitamins, B12 and today went out and got prenatal vitamins. I am feeling desperate to get my energy back. How’s your ROM? I had a or appointment last week and I’m only at 106. It’s frustrating to say the least on top of not sleeping well still. I hope you start feeling better soon . Please let me know how your coming along!

• Posted

Hi lynda I do realise overdone the walking but feel guilty when hubby and me are used to going out etc so I'm trying hard. My pain isn't too bad but today 7/10 the Dr gave me tramadol since can't take anti inflammatory medication. Also my left knee which was done unfortunately my left foot I have a toe fusion thanks again to arthritis. So that doesn't help the night sleep patterns. Some nights I can sleep from 10 to 4 but others I watch the clock. So frustrating. My flex is 112° so my PT happy with it. I go back to see the consultant July when he will xray the knee to make sure all is well fingers crossed. I've been a wimp throughout this horrendous op just hope it's worth it. I've put my right knee on hold indefinitely. I massage my knee a few times a day with bio oil showers no bother and no cane needed but I have bought a collapsible one my hubby insisted to be on the safe side. You'll get there think in a few months time pain free.

• Posted

Hi Ann 

It sounds like your coming along great. My left knee  ( the good one ) has been acting up big time. For now I’m saying NO. Some days are a struggle but other days are great.   When I’m sitting in the recliner, I try and straighten my leg as much as possible ,  try pushing my knee down as far as possible and when walking I try and remember heel-toe. I’m sure one day hopefully sooner than later this will all be behind us and we will be saying it was not that bad. So, don’t worry about getting out there with your hubby for now. There’s going to be plenty of time for that and your probably going to be running circles around him. I look forward to your post to let us know how your doing 😉

• Posted

Your progress is not measured in time or distance...it's measured in steps.  Get a fit bit or equivalent and track your steps every day.  Obviously, 45 minutes two days in a row is too much.  You need to use a pedometer to count your steps.  When you have pain, note the number of steps that caused the pain, back off, heal for a day or two and then resume with a lower upper limit.  Increase gradually.

I did 8,200+ steps one day at 5 weeks post-op and paid for it with a "balloon knee" for three days.  Never made that mistake again.  Checked my steps every day, graphed my progress with the device's app.  By 8 months, I was doing 11,000+/day (~5 miles) with no issues at all.  Simple...learn the lesson, track your steps. 

• Posted

If you follow Chico's advice it will help another way is to follow what your knee is telling you. When I go for a walk and we will assume I am doing great when I notice my knee is starting to hurt not bad but starting to ache I need to turn around and head back. Now being hard headed and having a tendency to go overboard I will continue the end result is lots of pain and swelling " water balloon knee " and it will take 2 to 3 days to get back to normal. In my neighborhood I have 3 different routes I take easy is 6/10's of a mile even on bad days its okay. middle a tad over a mile and hard approx. 1.5 miles. If I do the hard it takes me about 45 minutes and when I am done that is it and there are times when I do yard work on top of that the end resuly misery and its my fault. Chico's way makes a lot of sense. I go by how it feels after having been thru this so many times I pretty much can tell when I have gone too far. It does not matter the time what matters is how the knee feels yes your getting to the 3 month mark but you still have a ways to go just don't push it as hard.

• Posted

Thanks I do realise afterwards done too much but its hard after being active to suddenly realise you have to tell yourself no.
  • Posted

I am with you Ann, I am trying to follow the advice from Chico and others but  as my husband says I have two speeds, full speed or nothing.  I am now 20 weeks post op and at 11 weeks was not able to walk 45 minutes at all but my bend was not good and my incision wasn't healing properly.  But now I can be as active as I want....but I have a fitness tracker and realized when I started having knee stabbing pain that was putting in over 12,000 steps a day!!  So now I know if I have a really active day or two or three I am going to have to deal with some pain and slow, ice and rest for a couple of days.  From what I learned from all the good folks here on this forum...it is all part of the healing process.  

• Posted

Hi. Yes that's normal, i went for a bike ride last sunday about 8 miles in total i had pain when i got back which I expected when you are pushing yourself to get better, i also went for a walk on the saturday about 2 hours and yes i had pain from that as well, i am weaning myself off my medication so you are doing really well to not be taking any medication only when needed, that's my aim, I am 12 weeks now after my TKR my surgeon doesn't want to see me for 10 months and I have just been signed off physio, but they said keep up with your exercises at home and keep icing as my knee is still slightly swollen, I want to go back to work but as my surgeon signed me off for 4 months on my sick note they wont let me? so I have to wait another month before I can go back to work, you are doing well keep up with the exercises and icing and walking, I think you should do what your knee allows you to do, good luck, Max 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.