New pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

2 weeks ago I had my second spinal fusion (I am a 30 year old female) I woke up  and my outter part of my left thigh was so numb I could stab it and I wouldn’t feel if. They told me this was normal and because of how long the surgery took and the strap that goes around you is right there. So they started me on gabapetin... about a week goes by and the numbness turns into pain, a very sharp pain in my upper outside left thigh... a blanket or even just clothes on If is almost unbearable. Any clue what this could be as I don’t think it’s from the OR table anymore ?! 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amber, google meralgia  paraesthetica, I have this, and hopefully in your case it was caused during the op, and should calm down.

Its entrapment of the femoral nerve, and very painful.

• Posted

Amber it is nerve damage i had it after my spinal surgery to insert 3 rods...the numbness can ease but mine did not dissapear altogether some parts of my lower bck are completely dead to touch but i also have severe pain and they said it was also the nerve damage...it can ease off during day but never goes completely....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.