New Patient/New PFT?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So, recently I was given a PFT and I am curious what the forum thinks.

The read is "A mild obstructive lung disease, not improved with inhaled bronchodilators".

I have no, or very mild SOB but I do have a a chronic and mostly dry cough... Oh, I do not smoke, never have!

I appreciate any insight.

Spirometry         Ref         Pre         Post

FVC                        5.83        7.59        7.61

FEV1                      4.76        5.00        5.26

FEV1/FVC            81%        66%        69%

FEF 25-75%         4.84        3.22        4.65

FEF 50%                5.78        4.28        4.65

FEF 75%                2.38        1.42        1.54

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Just a thought.

Aspergilli are some of the most common environmental molds, frequently found in decaying plant matter, such as compost heaps. Inside, it's found in air conditioning and heating ducts, insulation, and even on some food and spices. Most strains of this common mold are not dangerous, but a few can cause serious illness when their spores are inhaled by people who have weakened immune systems, as is the case with asthma or underlying lung disease. Or, healthier individuals can be at risk from long-term exposure to mold quietly growing in water-damaged buildings.

Infections caused by Aspergillus are called aspergillosis, which is actually a group of illnesses ranging from mild to severe lung infections, or even whole-body infections. The most serious type of aspergillosis is invasive aspergillosis, which is when the mold invades your blood vessels and the spreads to the rest of your body.

Aspergillus allergy can result in fever, productive cough, and worsening asthma.

With aspergillosis, you can actually grow a "fungal ball" in your lungs, a tangled ball of fungal fiber called aspergilloma. Aspergilloma can lead to coughing up blood (hemoptysis), wheezing, shortness of breath, fatigue, and weight loss. According to the Mayo Clinic, if this type of fungal infection becomes very severe, it can spread to your brain, heart, kidneys, or skin. You can also develop pneumonia.

• Posted

Thank you!  I will look into that.

I had a chest xray and it came back normal.  All of this is wierd, I have nothing in my history to suggest that COPD would be likely...

• Posted

Hi there AEmedic

I have a query on the figures - are they correct? I ask because your FVC figures are very large.  

FVC varies by age, height and sex.  So if you were say 30 years old and a man, I think your figures would make you about 7 feet tall.  If you were a woman you would be even taller, that would make you nearly 8 feet tall.....

So before you can interpret these, we'd need to account for age, sex and height.  

Cheers

​dr_hits

• Posted

Those number are correct...  I am 6'2", 43 years old and male. 

I just had another PFT and the numbers vary a bit.  The PFTs are a number of months apart.

Spirometry         Ref         Pre         Post

FVC                        5.80        7.09        7.16

FEV1                      4.73        4.95        5.10

FEV1/FVC            81%        70%       71%

FEF 25-75%         4.81        3.38        3.65

FEF 50%                5.74        4.47        4.83

FEF 75%                2.36        1.35        1.61

• Posted

By the way, my TLC was 10.40 then and 9.63 now...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.