New PE's

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well, I am now a lifer on blood thinners. I was off Coumadin for less than 3 months, I got sick with bronchitis with asthma. During being sick and my provider ordered labs, I asked if she could add a d-dimer. The d-dimer was elevated. A stat CT scan showed PE's in both lungs. What can I say..... I just continue trying to stay healthy..eating right and out walking as much as I can... And life continues on....

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear. Do you feel ok on Coumadin?
    • Posted

Yes an no. My tastes buds are different again. I'm not at therapeutic INR yet. Still hovering at 1. Being bridged with the Lovenox still. It's the regimen of being on the Coumadin that gets me. And knowing I'm gonna need to be monitored for life being on the thinners that I haven't wrapped my brain around yet. But, suppose not much different then diabetes or anything else... I suppose a grieving process I'm going through too.

• Posted

What caused your pes? Do you have a blood clotting disorder or on bc or long trips or anything?
    • Posted

Mine they don't know for sure what causing them. Don't have any genetic causes. All the other reasons I can't be tested for because on the blood thinners.

• Posted

I am so sorry sue, it is difficult as we cannot see inside ourselves isn't it. I hope you can eventually be free of the clots.

• Posted

Sorry to hear, Sue, but good news that you survived new PEs. So wise of you to request a d-dimer test! Is it possible for you to switch to one of the newer anticoagulants
    • Posted

I can after I've lost more weight. The pharmacist said other types of blood thinners, besides the Coumadin, don't work well in people who have a higher BMI.

• Posted

Sue, this is the first time I've heard that. My BMI is 29 and I also need to lose weight--about 30 pounds for health reasons--, but I'm taking Eliquis 5mg twice a day. What BMI do you need to have before you can make the switch?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.