New perforation after ear drum repair - anyone else ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I had a perforation repair done in June 21 after waiting a year due to Covid backlog.

I started with earache this May and the practice nurse noted bubbles of fluid behind the repaired drum but assured me it was intact. I was referred to ENT.- And am still waiting.

Fast forward to now and after having a bad episode of earache I went to GP who diagnosed an anterior tympanic rupture.

Im not sure if this means the repair has failed or if this is a new perforation, I didnt ask

as was fed up . There has been another request for an ENT appointment.

I just wondered if this has happened to anyone else ?

Im fed up of waiting to be seen and have earache nearly every day. If I could afford to go private I would !

Thanks ,if anyone reads this 😑

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, i am sorry to but in but wondered how you were after the op. i am due to have a myringoplasty in Jan but am really unsure whether to have it or not. I am really undecided. What was it like afterwards? thanks

• Posted

Hi Magskeef,

Not a problem at all ,happy to reply.

Before my surgery I wasnt advised of the recovery time and had planned to go back to work 2 days after ! I had a week off in the end but 2 weeks would have been better.

I had pain afterwards for about a week , in my ear but also down the side of my face.

The repair worked initially and my hearing was restored, but about a year afterwards I started with earache again and the practice nurse said I had bubbles of fluid trapped behind the drum. Which then went on to re- perforate😒

I was referred back to ENT in July and am still waiting .

Im not sure if I would get it fixed again as it clearly didnt work for me but it could be different for you ?

Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.