new physical therapist for shoulder after talking to doctor

Posted , 4 users are following.

Will I did what people suggested I saw my doctor again and told him what happen with my first physical therapist, he wasn't to happy surprised what happened. So he's sending me to another one.

The cotisone shot has finally kicked in. It still hurts at time. But Im able to move it more. Still hurts to write. Fixing dinner gets it sore depending what I'm doing.

My jaw still hurts for clenching my jaw to handle the pain but its getting better. Good thing I didn't listen to the first physical therapist when she said that there was nothing wrong with my shoulder and that the pain was all in my head.

When I talked to my chiropractor he suggested that I talk to Dr. Federov again and letting him know what happened. Husband went with me. So Monday I go see a new pyysical therapist, wish it was at a different place but its close to our house. Doctor was not happy and was going to talk to her boss.

Told Federov that my hand shakes. He said its not from my shoulder injury, wasn't sure why it was happening. Would have talked to Kevin my chiropractor about it today but he has the flu. Got my xrays to show him.

Husband and I have been going for walks on his days off and talking about fun stuff. Family is back to being normal. Daughter is happy at home again, but has to deal with an issue with a classmate at school.

For those who don't know I hurt my shoulder in high school and nothing was done about it. In 1997 good shoulder started hurting went to see a chiropractor Dr. Hart who cared. Now he's retired and Kevin took over. Kevin is great. April last year shoulder got sprained by husband and tore the muscles. I saw Kevin for help. And now after my daughter in December dislocated her knee I thought really hard if going to a physical therapist would help my shoulder. So I daw Dr. Federov and he took xrays. Said therapy should help or we would have MRI done and surgery. I'm left handed and its my left shoulder s it makes everyday stuff hard.

Cortisone shot seems to be helping now. Sure hurt for awhile. Took awhile for it to kick into. So after being totally confused from first therapist and after talking to Kevin who said talk to Dr. Federov so I did today with my husband. The good thing that came from the first therapist she made my husband real mad and daughter and things at home is a lot better. I might actually like tomorrow.

So I get to try a new physical therapist Monday and hope he gives me exercises to do and not be lime the first one. Wish me luck! I really need it!

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lori,

I wish you the best of luck with your new physical therapist. You need a break from this ordeal! Bless your heart!

Hugs

Dawn, USA

💛💕💙💕💜💕💚💕❤💕💛💕💙💕💜💕💚💕

• Posted

Dear Lori

Sorry to hear about all your tribulations.I am right handed and it is my right shoulder.The sports injury doctor at our local practice does not think cortisone will be any good in my case so I am awaiting  an MRI scan for a precise diagnosis.As I have said to Shera if I am offered an op to repair what I believe is a torn tendon I will go for it.The question of exercising has not arisen yet as I only did it last Monday.Good luck with yours on Monday

• Posted

I'm hoping therapy works. Been doing some exercises on my own that two doctors gave me. Plus the shot finally kicked in. MRIs aren't cheap, so I'm hoping I don't have to do it. Plus I don't want surgery.

Its no fun having your main arm hurt. I learned to do things right handed years ago. The torn tendon sounds more painful. I hope you get your MRI real soon.

I'm tired of my arm tingling or going numb. Just tired of pain.

My therapy is next Monday the 23. We will see how it goes.

In another posting I wrote what the doctor called my shoulder. love all their big words. Good luck on your MRI and I hope you get it real soon.

Lori

• Posted

Dear Lori

Thanks for the good wishes.I have booked a call with our local sports injury doctor this morning.I have been offered a private appointment for the MRI but it would cost £300.00.If it accelerated the process of recovery by whatever means maybe I need to seriously cosider it. As I had successful surgery in 2005 I feel I am headed that again.

• Posted

Hi Ian!

I was able to get in to see the new physical therapist yesterday. He runs the department.  He got right to the issues and showed me exercises.  Husband was with me and I have to see David once a week but next week is full; so I have to hope for another opening to open up like it did this week.

I'm not sure what it cost here for MRI had mine back in the 90's. Other xrays or scans I have had the last few years have cost a lot.

I hope you get the MRI and they can fix your shoulder real soon.  It is no fun having your main arm hurting.  I'm tired of it being numb and tingling.

Hang in there!

Lori

• Posted

Hi Lori,

It was great to get your update,and I am so glad you are getting a new therapist,and family life is good and back on track.

It,is 8.45 am here,and oops 😄I slept in,so am on a mission,as I have an eye appointment,so will get back to you in detail this afternoon.

Thinking of you,

Alice x

• Posted

Hi Lori,

i am sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday.I have had times since my fall,and all

the things that are going on,because everything has to be sanctioned by the store where I fell,when through sheer frustration and pay that I have been cranky,frustrated,and in tears,but I have tried to be positive about it,but yesterday I felt like just throwing the lot in,and just forgetting about Physio,the whole lot,as I got a letter from Head Office,and they won't cover even out of pocket expenses,that will be mounting considerably soon,unless my Doctor and Physiotherapist release all medical and treatment documents to them.Rhat is OK as far as Physio goes,but they want Medical records since I first attended the clinic ten years ago,even previous surgeries I have had,any existing conditions etc.,Lovely,so they are going to fight any claims on the grounds that I have Osteoarthriris,Osteopenia,previous fractures etc.

I just burst into tears,and am completely over it,as like you,the pain is bad,I am sick of waking up,and not being able to move my arm,amd then being in pain all day.

Not sure what to do,as I was only at the Doctor last week,about a prescription I can no longer get,amd he was good enough not to charge me.It is all money,that at the end of the day,is the Supermarkets  fault,as their staff should be cleaning up the floors so people won't slip on rubbish,instead of standing around looking bored.

Anyway,that is where I am at.I don't see Craig,the Physiotherapist until the 27th.

Keep hanging in there,and hoping you get some relief soon.

Alice 

• Posted

Hi! I know how bad the pain gets.  It is scary when you wake up and you forget you can't use your arm and put weight on it and the pain starts.  

I feel a few years ago walking, I didn't see that the sidewalk was raised up and feel. I was hurting for awhile and missed my body up. My chiropractor helped a lot. Use ice packs.  I found icy hot roll on helped. 

Yesterday I got my teeth cleaned and my filling done in my tooth. I don't like having fillings done. Mouth was numb 3:20-6:15. It shouldn't have stayed that numb since they can't use the stuff that keeps the numbing stuff to stay longer.  I was so numb I had a hard time talking and daughter and husband teased me.

Dentist said I have TMJ-temporomandibular joint disorder. Just what I wanted another problem. Now I have to figure this issue out. It's one reason my jaw hurts.

So Thursday I get a call from the physical therapy office; they had an opening so I was able to go in.  David is the head guy and he was great. Husband went in with me. David explained again what is wrong with my shoulder that Dr. Federov said at the beginning and then showed my excercises to do. The exercises I was doing was to advance for my shoulder at this point.

He wants me back next week but he was full so unless they have an opening I have to wait until the next week to come. I'm hoping this time and gets my shoulder back.

My chiropractor told me to ice my shoulder and use heating pad also.  When my shoulder got hurt in April I didn't have any medicine. Icy hot roll on really helped for bedtime.

Sorry you are having issues all the paper work and job stuff. I hear people say all the time that companies like to fight people work injury claims.  Just fight them. You have rights to get the help and care you need. 

You should be able to take up to 800 ibuprofen, it has a deflamatory in it to help with swelling. My gp told me I couldn't take that stuff since I'm on Savella but other doctors said it is fine. The surgeon who did my gallbladder and dentist told me to take 600-800 for the pain.  

I hope you are feeling better real soon.

Lori

• Posted

Hi Lori,

Thanks for your lovely reply,and your concern.We had to work today,36C (100F)heat outside,and because of no aircon,40C (104) inside,and I overdid cleaning and having to rearrange  as well.Thr duty manageress and both husband I were all sick by the time we left,although we were drinking iced water all day. Not too bad now it is dark,and I had a shower and rest on the couch.I have tried the ice pack,in a light cover,amd it has felt nice,although my whole arm is stiff at the moment,and my neck feels like it is pulling.Physiomonly told me to use heat.A friend called round to see my husband the other day,and he was talking about someone he saw with his a Osteo issues,similar to a Chirpopractor,but deals with only Osteo patients,so may be worth checking out,as Craig the Physio is really nice,but has admitted he really isn't sure what to do,with all the other issues with Osteo,neck,spine etc. He said he generally works with just Accident or Sport Injury,like the rotor cuff tears,but not the Rheumatology stuff.I forgot to write down who Neil  was talking about,so husband is going to call around and ask him,as I go back and see my Doctor,Arvind,later next week,as he is doing school vaccinations Monday and Tuesday.I gave him the letter to read,so he is going to advise me what to do.I am not going to give up,as who knows what will happen down the track.We are extremely lucky here,as generally the costs of MRI,XRay's and Ultrasounds are covered for people on Government benefits,and those on Private Health only pay a minimum amount.I am so happy to hear that at long last everyone is on the same page with your diagnosis and treatment,and that you like David.Fancy,with the pain in your jaw,it turns out you have all those problems.I hope that there is no intensive procedures on the cards,as like you say,you don't need anything else. So nice your husband is being involved as well.I must say,mine is not really good with pain issues,or immobility,as because he can't see the  injury,and my arm is not in a sling or anything,he still thinks I can carry on as normal.😁I hope your daughter is going well and her  problem at school has been sorted out.

Almost time for bed here. I am only allowed to take Panadol Osteo (which is useless),or if I am really in extreme pain,Panadeine Forte.I can't take Ipobrufen,as I have Norspan patches,and they are a type of opioid.

Take care,and will chat again soon,

Alice

• Posted

Wow! You sure got hot weather! We have been in the 50"s-60"s here in Oregon. This morning when I got up it 28f. This is normal weather for Oregon. We just haven't gotten all the snow we needed in the cascades this year so it will hurt us during the summer.

Daughters issues at school I hope will be over but its one of those things that I feel shouldn't be taught at school because it just gets the kids to be bullies to some of the kids; like mine. She is the kindest kid out there and doesn't deserve to be hurt by anyone.  Her teachers made her run last week and her knee is hurting her again. They knew about her knee,, it bugs me they didn't listen to her when she was trying to remind them about her knee. 

I would try a chiropractor. From what you are feeling you have either pinched nerves or pulled muscles. Find a chiropractor who does sport and accident chiroprating.  Mine does.

Our oldest cat started bleeding Saturday and we had to take her into emerency vets and they think it is just a bladder infection but we are still waiting for her test results to come back fully. It could be tumors or cancer. She will be 16 in April. Husband's cat; he loves her so much. It will be hard losing her but so far she is still eating, drinking, and peeing.  Keeping her in the bathroom from the other cats for a few days to make sure she can eat all night.

Been wondering when we will get some good luck around here.  Its been one thing after another for years now.  At least my husband and daughter are getting a long again.

Take care and I hope you can find a chiropractor or someone else that can help you with your pain.

Lori

• Posted

Hi Lori,

Sorry I have taken so long to get back to you,Same here,one thing after the other,as husband's mum is not at all well,but is refusing medical help.They are so stubborn,some of the frail elderly.Now I feel like I am getting a cold with sore throat,headache,and hot and cold sweats,but then I was cuddling my friends baby on Sunday,and he was miserable with a cold,so with my dodgy immune system I should  have been more careful.He is so cute and smiley though.! 

I am glad to hea that  you are getting answers now,and everyone is on the same page,although like you said,the jaw and dental issues are something you don't need.It is good to hear your daughter and husband are getting on well,and as she gets older,and eventually gets boyfriends,she will realise all relationships,are hard work,and not all romance and happiness.

She sounds a sweet young girl,and I hope she has some friends who do care for her,and value her worth.

I am so sorry to hear about your beloved cat.Our Captain,(a girl),had UTI problems,but lived to 21,although she did develop uterine cancer.She was a gorgeous girl.We love them like family,and it is so hard to have them leave us. I go to Arvind tomorrow to nut out the possible legal process,and also to discuss what is going to happen with future treatment.The Rheumatologist I see in our Capital City,has said Chiropractors are not an option,because of my neck and spine issues,from previous car accidents,as the wrong treatment can cause a break,or paralysis,and I also have the start of Osteoporosi,although I can't  start treatment for that until I am 70,as our health funding does not cover the medication until that magical figure 😄,unless the condition is life threatening.They still issue a drug that had the worst side affects.My mum had bone growing through her gums at one stage,so there is no way I will be using that.Luckily I have some time on my side,before I have to think about it,and hopefully,it won't be at that stage by then.

Must go,as it is late,and I think bed is the best place.

Take care,and keep updating.I hope you get some relief from pain and trauma,

Alice.

• Posted

Hi! I hope you are feeling better. Our cat is doing better, thank goodness.  They think her thyroid problem was causing a lot of her issues and now is on higher meds.  We are also giving her Iams senior food now.  She just needs to get the weight back on. I think she has put on some weight. Glad we didn't have to go to the vets last week or so far this week.

Sorry you have to wait to get more help.  So see my physical therapist today, soon and he moved me up last week on the strength of the exercise rope. It hurts a little but it should help things get better.  My arm will still go numb; not sure why.

Old people due become stubborn and I'm sorry to hear she isn't well.  When my daughter was a toddler my Granny had cancer but she didn't want treatment but she had it and is still with us even though we don't ever get to see her, long story.

So what are they going to do about your pain and injuries?

Lori

• Posted

I had my first physical therapy yesterday with a new therapist; they had an opening yesterday. He got right to the point and explained everything that my shoulder is going through.  My husband was with me. The exercises I have been doing is to advance for my shoulder at this point; so he gave new exercises to do.

Looking promising to me but I have gotten my hopes up before.

• Posted

Therapy going good with David. I see him once a week. Shoulder still hurts at times and pops at times.

Doing things on my own. Husband hasn't been supportive. He's actually making things worse. I don't know if it is depression or if he just getting anger issues. Last week he hurt daughters jaw, he says it was an accident, daughter says no.  Today he almost hit me and he was a man I didn't recognize. I told him to leave.  He came back this afternoon and I told him if he doesn't get help for his anger issues thats it.

It has been bad enough dealing with the shoulder he hurt. Plus had surgery in November. Then I get the idea to get help for shoulder and all the trouble with the first physical therapist. Pulled muscles in the jaw that is also turning out to be TMJ. Plus daughter and I have had swollen glands since January 24 and the doctors say it is a virus and just wait it out. Talking hurts so we try not to talk but he just gets mad at us.

I'm scared to death about calling womens space. I don't know what they will do. I can't loose my daughter. No family support. Friends don't have time for us and never check in, I always have to check in with people, I can't understand why its one sided.

Support should be both ways. I support him but he can't support me. When I went to see Dr. Federov about what happened with the first therapist I made it clear to my husband I needed him with me and his support. I needed his help doing the exercises etc. but he doesn't even remember the talk.

I wish I could find a foroum on her for support dealing with abuse or for spouses dealing with a depression spouse.  Feeling totally lost.  I can't believe he almost hit me in front of our daughter. I know I'm locking the dead bolts tonight, he doesn't have those keys.  But if we need help we are screwed.  This is so missed up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.