New PIP explained

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I have a whole series of physical problems from many tumours removed around my body and from operations going wrong and the frustration of not being able to do what I once did. This has led to mental health problems and severe anxiety. I had acrophobia for many years when a particular operation damaged a large artery and I kept having blackouts, so I never went out alone, however I had an operation to repair the artery but the vein they harvested from my leg left me with lymphoedema. I had a breakdown as in the same year I was forced to move due to noisy neighbors, I can now go out and about to the area I know but not to places I do not know. I just won’t go. I am on a lot of medication for pain and depression and have had my driving license revoke for medical reasons, can I claim PIP for not knowing where to go on unfamiliar journeys ? I was told the high courts have over ruled some changes, is this one of them? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Lisa,

Maybe because of your medical history you will be able to claim PIP & not just because you don't know where to go on unfamiliar journeys.

I think you have to phone DWP first to start the process of making a claim for PIP.  Then you will be sent forms which can be daunting but you can enlist the help of CAB. You will need to gather as much medical evidence about your health & send this off with the completed forms.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you. I am not in a good place at the moment but I will phone them and see if that descriptor apples to me. I thought it was just for people whom are totally acrophobic. I don’t go far from my home, just to Doctors and chemist, because of brain tumour I can’t drive, which is just as well as I take so much medication
    • Posted

HI Lisa,

Because you are able to go out then the new rules for the planning and following a journey will not apply to you, unfortunately.

The new ruling only applies to those with extreme anxiety and because you are able to go out even though it's only to places you know it makes no difference. Also unfortunately not being able to drive won't award you any points ether. If you have mobility problems then you maybe able to claim it for this BUT if you already have a PIP then please do be careful when report any changes, you could lose everything you already have.

If your review isn't too far away then i'd advice you wait for that. Reporting changes means they will send you another PIP2 form, like the first time. Another assessment will most likely be needed too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.