New 'positive report' on HRT reported 10 Feb 15 in UK press

Posted , 6 users are following.

A column in a popular UK tabloid today, states that according to a new survey 'HRT could cut the risk of heart disease and an early death' - 'as long as they start in their 50s' according to researchers. Well, that's good news for us all isn't it. It's about time those of us on HRT or thinking of taking it, heard some positive news on this subject. 'Data from 40,000 patients found that those taking the drugs from this age were less likely to die prematurely from any cause and the threat of heart attack was halved'.

I began taking HRT around 20yrs ago when I was fifty and despite all the various scare stories that have been published over the years, I always refused to accept doctors nagging me to stop. My one time head of practice GP, many years ago said to me 'It's all about now!' 'If HRT makes you feel better, takes away all those horrible symptoms, and you have no side effects from the drug, then I'm happy to prescribe it for you'. 'You know the risks and you accept the risks'. Those were my sentiments at that time and still are now. So, here I am at the age of 70 and various GPs later, still taking HRT (Livial) and feeling fantastic. I am still having an active sex life, with a new husband 8 years my junior - my first husband having sadly died - so things can't be so bad, aye? We all have to die of something so if I get cancer eventually (although I hope not) or something else which turns out to be fatal say, in ten years time - well at least I can look back and say what a blooming good life I've had. I still have all the regular health checks so if anything shows up, it gets picked up quickly. This report gives out figures for the risk of blood clots etc as usual, but this is only a slight increase. Yes there are risks of course. We know all about them; we are intelligent women and we are aware of those. However, we are also capable of weighing up the positive advantages with the ones not so advantageous. Most of these women the report says, took HRT for between three to 10 years - but why did they have to stop??

I won't go through the whole of this new survey here; I'm sure you can find it online, but the way I see the whole subject of HRT is all to do with our 'quality of life' as well as that of our families and our partners. If we are happy - then they are happy. It is all to do with how we feel NOW and not what 'might' or might not happen to us in the future. If more women were allowed to take HRT or were allowed by their GPs to take HRT longer, then I'm sure they would see less of us taking up seats in their waiting rooms. I know before I took HRT I had terrible aches and pains, depression, thrush, cystitis etc the usual things but the thought of going back to sweats and absent mindedness, lack of confidence, the weeping etc which all filled me with doom and gloom - no thank you!  I did by the way try to come off my tablets - twice - but within a short time the menopausal symptoms came flooding back with avengance.

I hope more of you ladies demand to stay on HRT longer if you want to, it is your choice - not your GPs - and as long as you are aware of the risks, there is no reason why they should refuse to prescribe or bully you into stopping. 

LadyPink

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Here! Here! LadyPink. This is what I've been saying for years.
  • Posted

Hallelujah, Lady Pink!   Like Matron, I've been saying exactly this for years - and having to resist my doctor's compunction to take me off my Tibolone (see the discussion I started, Forced off HRT at 60?).  I still haven't seen my doc for my latest MOT - I keep avoiding it because I know what she's going to say - so next time I'm going to go armed with a copy of your post and she can put that in her pipe and smoke it!   You're absolutely on the nail and it's time the medica woke up and got real about the whole issue.
    • Posted

I'm seeing my GP in 2 weeks time armed with as much information as possible requesting another repeat prescription. I'm 61 not some old lady with 4 cats sitting knitting all day long. I have a life, a husband and a sex life. Let battle commence! 
    • Posted

Go, Matron, go!  I'm right with you and I too will go well-armed when I see my GP.  
  • Posted

It is so good to see a positive report about taking HRT.  I have only just started so of  course I don't know if I'm going to get any adverse side effects, but I was so worried about taking them in the first place because of the negative press.  Thanks smile
  • Posted

Hi there (again!), I am having trouble finding the article that you mention as it is completely overshadowed but the news a couple of days later about ovarian cancer.  Can you please tell me which newpaper it was?  Thanks.
    • Posted

Hi mrpip64,

Sorry for the delay but I've been away for a short break. The article I was referring to was in the Dail Mail and can be seen by going to Mail Online. It's headline was - Taking HRT in your 50s 'cuts risks of premature death and heart disease'.  I hope you manage to find it. LadyPink

• Posted

Thanks so much for replying.  I have actually decided to come off them now as my second attempt on a different pill has led to bleeding.  But I need to use the article for some study I'm doing so it's still really useful.
  • Posted

I've just found this and am going to print this out along with a load of other information and go to my next GP appointment fully armed! I am only 50 and have been on HRT (Prempak-C 0.25) for 4 years with no problems and my GPs are already talking about weaning me off it. No thanks!!!

I'm thinking this recent reluctance to prescribe may have a lot more to do with reducing costs than with avoiding the risks (which, in my humble opinion, are tiny). Does anyone have experience of getting a private prescription from their GP for HRT where they have refused to prescribe through the NHS?

• Posted

Same boat and totally agree, 33 years on HRT patches and still at 71 going great guns
  • Posted

Hello My story is I have been on HRT for 25 years after having a full histeroctomy when I was 32 .I had ovarian cancer I was put on Hrt straight away .Iwas on 6.25mg but have decided 10 yearsago that i could reduce it to .2mg..I now have tried to get of it so many times with no sucess all of the symptoms came back.I have been again reducing my taking of them and have not had any for about 3 weeks  now.The flushes are not so bad  but still hve some as well as shivers every now and then,  the joint pain also not bad no sex drive at all  but the depression is so bad I'm thinking on going back on them as i do  not really want to take anti depression tabs.Replace on for the other.My doctor wants me to get of HRT but he does not understand what it feels like .My doctor is a man.I have mammogram every year and also have blood test all good so far.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.