New Pregabalin user - what's this drug like?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I am looking for some advice. I have just started Pregabalin on 22/8/19. I have been having some nerve pain (heightened response) to hot and cold like someone cranked up my nerve sensitivity + getting some like burning sensations in muscles and facial flushing, this in turn was keeping me awake. I have been going through some anxiety previously (not too much) and GP prescribed Pregablin 150mg a day (75mg x 2) for 30 days.

I kinda feel it working, though my nerve sensitivity seems a little higher on day 2, though I assume it’s the body trying to get used to it’s new incoming medication? How long roughly does this fully kick in and start altering your brain chemistry. I am hoping to be seen as only taking this as a temporary thing (ie the 30 days) and come off, can I just stop after 30 days or do I require a wind down weeding off it procedure?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It will take a good week for changes to take effect - so expect hopeful improvements until then - and YES, you cannot just stop this after 30 days. The withdrawal can be brutal if stopped cold turkey. A couple of weeks tapering would suffice after 30 days.

Note that this drug also has a history of exacerbating depression, so if you have suffered from it in the past, or do so now, be very aware...

• Posted

I have been suffering with peripheral neuropathy for a few years now and have been on pregabalin (225mg AM and 150mg PM). The drug is fine and helps quite a bit, however, I have recently come aware of the side effect of depression. If I miss a tablet I become aware that I feel 'gloomy' and not very positive in outlook. I have previously not suffered from any form of depression. I am a very happy outgoing person and therefore these feeling are totally alien to me. I have been considering going back to my GP and discussing slowly withdrawing fro Pregabalin and either just putting up with the pain or trying a different medication.

• Posted

This is an unfortunate side effect of a number of psychotropic pain meds. Cymbalta has been known to do the same thing. You may find that as you come off it, the depression might hit you. A very slow taper is what is required here.

I was on the stuff for 6 days and I stopped cold turkey and what followed was 2 weeks of the most awful suicidal depression I have known. I looked into the paperwork and as it turned out there is a lot behind the scenes relating to the drug trials that most are not aware of.... involving prison sentences.

• Posted

Interesting reading this post. I have CFS but significant neurological type symptoms. My doctors seem reluctant to discuss this drug even though I have heard others with CFS have benefited from it. Anyone on here have CFS or fibro?

• Posted

Many thanks for all the replies sorry for the delay in getting back I assumed there be a email notification from the site!

OK, it's a wait and see then, in regards to it working, just hope it does, I've never really been on pills like this before. Ok so the depression and mood swings, something to note then, I'll be aware of this. Though be nice to shift some of these symptoms, I seem to be kinda ok during the day, but laying down in bed at night it's like massive sunburn has just swept across my muscles, it's the sleep deprivation I am concerned about as I have to work.

My GP who prescribed said it might help matters though it's like in the hoping this is anxiety triggered & this drug will set things back to normal. I think the likelihood I might have Fibromyalgia, I have a Neurology appointment in November, but hoping this situation will hopefully resolve itself by then.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.