New Procedure called iTind

Posted , 56 users are following.

Has anyone in this discussion have experience with this new and quite remarkable procedure? A device is implanted then removed in five days and none of the usual negative side effects occur.

5 likes, 203 replies

203 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I signed up for the iTind device clinical trial in NYC. The implant is made by Medi-Tate in Israel and is being used in Europe. Went to Weill Cornell - NY Pres to be screened on Monday to have a TRUS to get an accurate size of my prostate, a uroflow test and an abdominal ultrasound to check the PVR. All simple and painless. Very nice facility and very nice staff and doctor. I fit their parameters and am waiting for blood work results before scheduling the implant. The reason I am going through with this trial is because of the very low downside risks so far. About 95% of patients have a positive effect with the main question being how long will the effects last. So far it has lasted 5 years with only one or two going back for TURP.. The two key positives for me is no long term drug use and no traumatic tissue destruction. The downsides issues have been a few UTI's which can happen with any procedure, one implant displacement, and one or two patients who found it too uncomfortable. In each case the device was removed early. for a quick remedy. The implant is done with a local and a sedative. The car drive to the procedure will take longer than the procedure itself and recovery is just a matter of waking up from the sedative. I will post once I am scheduled.

• Posted

Not yet. Had a battery of blood tests to get cleared for surgery and had to be retested and have my primmary care physician concur which he did. Now waiting to scheduke the procedure. Medit-tate sends a team over to work with the doctors so they schedule a number of patients to be done in the same trip. There appears to be a lot to organizing a proper clinical study so it meets our FDA requirements.

I will post as soon as I know.

• Posted

Good luck and thanks for posting. I would be very interested in your experience and the impact on your bph.
    • Posted

I just heard today that they willbe doing several of us at one time in late November. Have to be retested for blood work as tests are only good for 30 days. Will post once I know for sure.
    • Posted

Good luck Bobby. Hoping for excellent results. Please keep us informed
    • Posted

Good luck Bobby..

Are you self cathing these days.?

• Posted

No. My problem is going too often, having to get up at night, and not fully emptying my bladder. Sometimes it takes a minute or two to start a stream and it tends to be weak but I have always been able to start a stream.

Just went for blood and urine tests to clear me for the procedure at th eend of the month. Will report back once it is done.

• Posted

Have been retested for blood work and urine analysis. Waiting results. If all good will undergo the procedure on 29 Nov. Since it is a clinical trila there is a 2/3 chance of getting the implant and a 1/3 chance of a placebo. We shall see.
  • Posted

I'm still at a loss as to what keeps the urethra open once this device is removed. Seems to me it would just close off the urethra again.

• Posted

The three wires press on the tissue in three different directions. The tissue it touches dies because of lack of blood flow but does not damage the surrounding tissue. When the tissue dies it sloughs off like a wet scab. The wire just digs in a little deeper and the process continues until the device is fully expanded which takes 5 to 7 days.

It is sort of like making 3 inscisions with a knife in three different directions. The difference is that the surrounding tissue is not damaged so the slits do not "heal" back together even after the device is removed. So, when the bladder sphincter opens up the bladder passes urine under pressure into the prostatic urethra which parts the slits and allows the urine to pass.

Think of a ballon filled with water. If you do not pinch the neck of the balloon the pressure forces the neck open and the water squirts out until the pressure in the ballon decreases. Have you been to their website? There is video and animation.

• Posted

Interesting. Too bad I'm not a candidate at this point

• Posted

They are still doing the iTind trial near NYC if anyone is interested
    • Posted

Yes, they are still taking patients into the clinical trials. They have sites in Manhattan, Long island, Poughkeepsie, Syracuse, Toronto, and Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Contact Weill Cornell- NY Presbyterian Hosp at 646-962-4811 for Dr. Chughtai. He and his group were excellent.

or the USA clinical study coordinator - Maureen Reagan at 516-669-6081. Super nice person.

• Posted

I don't think I would fit the criteria. I have a bleeding problem, but docs are unsure where its coming from. 

• Posted

You are not a doctor so how do you know? Apply and get screened. They are the tops in their field. They will let you know if you fit the criteria and if they can help you. You may be shutting off an avenue of cure unnecessarity. I am sure if they find your problem they would make a referral to somebody who can helop you if they can not include you. Your body. Your decision. But getting checked does not hurt you.
    • Posted

Hi Bobby,

Do you have the contact info for Poughkeepsie?

Rich

• Posted

Call the USA clinical study coordinator. Maureen Reagan at 516-669-6081. Super nice person. Let her know i told you to call her. She is a very sympathetic and understanding woman and a real professional. Not sure if she is a doctor but I bet she could do the implant procedure herself. She is so knowledgeable..

BTW, I am now down to one bathroom visit at night at 3 AM.

God it feels so good to sleep again.

I am down to 8 trips a day. (Yes, i still keep a bathroom diary.)

No more sense of extreme urgency at all.

(Except maybe when I am outside in the cold weather.)

No hesitation to begin urinating.

No more stopping and starting of the flow..

No more feeling like I still have a full bladder after urination.

No incontinence.

No retrograde ejaculation. Everything feels normal. Just a little dark red cloudiness in the semen for a few times from leftover miniscule blood clots tat looked like pepper grains.

I guess the symptoms came on so gradually over time I never realized just how annoying or severe they became.

The best part for me was that compared to other methods I see here on this bulletin board the procedure was painless and the 6 day recovery while the implant was in, while uncomfortable and tender, was not really painful except for some buring when urinating, but that lasted maybe 30 seconds at a time. Plus constant stimulation due to the retrieval string in my urethra. Like having a pebble in your shoe or a popcorn hull stuck in your gum.

Since I was "oozey" with some blood clots, healing fluids and small amounts of urine dribbling I recommend shaving or trimming your hair to make cleaning yourself easier and to get Depends Men's Guards, essentially adhesive backed sanitary napkins for men to stick in your briefs. The pain meds they gave me for the burning in my urethra stained my urine a bright orange which stains your clothes so wear old clothes or wear synthetic instead of cotton as it does not hold stains as easily. Also have those waterproof cloth band-aids to tape the coiled tether to your penis after you shower. and dry off.

The removal was not bad. They gave me 10mg of vallium to take. i never really felt it but I guess it relaxed me some. They put plenty of numbing gel into my urethra to make the removal catheter slide in more easily. Just a sudden surprise "ouchie" as the removal catheter passed the prostate, but it was like getting stuck in the arm when they draw blood. It only hurts for a few seconds and then it is over. Just keep breathing and you are fine. The actual removal process took 15 seconds, tops. It took more time ot get undressed and redressed. Some bloody discharge but urination did not burn after it was out.

After it was removed it was sudden relief and it was dramatic. Everything calmed down. Within the hour of leaving the urology office I stopped for lunch and did not have to suddenly run for the rest room. By 4 days after the removal I went to a fundraiser diner and drank wine, beer, soda and coffee and did not have ot run to the men's room at all. Not once. When I got home and used the toilet I realized it had been almost 5 hours since the last bathroom trip.

So make the call and find out if you can be screened. Hope you get picked. Good Luck!

• Posted

Thanks Bobby for the detailed post. I'm still leaning towards PAE, but things have a habit of changing.

• Posted

Thanks Bobby for the reports. I hope it will be approved in the US soon.

Hank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.