New procedure called - Optilume BPH Catheter System

Posted , 5 users are following.

July 2023

The US Food and Drug Administration has approved a new catheter designed to treat urinary tract symptoms of an enlarged prostate, also known as benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH).

Designed and marketed by Urotronic (Plymouth, Minnesota), the Optilume BPH Catheter System employs mechanical dilation to relieve obstruction of the prostate and then delivers paclitaxel to aid in prostate healing. The device is used in an outpatient setting and is less invasive than other procedures.

"There's nothing else like Optilume BPH that's currently available, it's the only treatment option that requires no cutting, burning, steaming, or implants," said Urotronic President and CEO David Perry in a press release.

Two randomized trials, EVEREST-1 and PINNACLE, both showed that the Optilume BPH system improved urinary flow rate and decreased the amount of urine stored in the bladder following urination. Men who used the OPTILUME device were able to ejaculate normally and reported no sexual difficulties.

Anyone here had the procedure?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Never had it done. It seems to be used in Canada quit a bit. I've not seen any US cases yet. It's was initially geared toward urethral strictures. Its now expanded to BPH cases where the Median Lobe is not an issue.

If I had this option, I would try it, quick and easy. I have a median lobe issue. Looking at PAE for my next procedure.

• Edited

This sounds great. Even if you had to do it every few years, if the recovery time is minimal and you don't have to go under for it that's not a bad trade-off.

• Posted

Interesting. I found a you-tube presentation (about an hour). Title is Episode 55: Optilume, a New Treatment Option for BPH

Rich

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.