New question

Posted , 11 users are following.

had my staples out on Friday how soon after can you start using bio oil 

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hello Sharon, I started using it as soon as I could get someone to bring it to me! 3 days later but you can use it immediately as long as everything is clean and together. It has a good reputation although ive never used it before. 
  • Posted

Hello Sharon as I still had a couple of sore spots I waited about a week or so after and then used the bio oil - E45 lotion is also good for massaging into the muscles
  • Posted

As soon as ALL signs of drainage has stopped. Please take no chances of anything getting onto what might be cpncoeved as an open spot on the skin, it isn't worth the chance of an infection
  • Posted

I waited a month but now use it twice a day, morning and after my shower at night. I used it on my last knee op 7 years ago and it is really good.   Nice for face as wel.!

As said E45 is also good.  

• Posted

For good scar results, use Maderma. But, u can not use it until incision is totally

healed.

• Posted

My surgeon used glue and derma bond, no staples.  I've been using Vitamin E

on my incision.

• Posted

My physio said use Bio oil 24 hours after, as my scar was all dry and closed. I waited 48 and have been using it twice a day since. Lovely stuff. 
  • Posted

Nurse told me to wait untill all scaby bits had gone and the wound was totally dry   I had mine out on friday and think i will be ok to start using it tonight, but take no chances we have come this far !
    • Posted

Wound is closed but still got scaby bits on it so might leave it a few days , does the back of your knee feel really tight mine is an is restricting me doing the bending exercises 
    • Posted

yes it does ,I thought it might be caused by the excercising. The bending excercises are torture. Straightening ones are ok but at the moment I feel as though it will never bend again, Everyday seems to throw up something else to test us but we will get through it .Best wishes
    • Posted

Sharon, I'm 5 weeks and the back of my knee still feels tight and like you I'm having problems with the bending exercises. Of course I keep trying to do them but feeling somewhat fustrated.  My therapist says it's normal as my knee is still swollen and that's what is causing the tightening feeling. I'm using ice packs on the back of my knee also, hopefully this will help.
  • Posted

As long as it's nicely healed with nothing leaking you can apply Bio oil or E45 cream. My physio told me to massage it in, which I did although I remember not being able to look at the area and it did feel strange too but I got over it! I still massage oil or the cream into the scar a couple of times a day at almost six months on! The physio also said to brush the scar with varios textures eg a hair brush, velvet etc as it helps to re train the nerves! Sounds odd but I did follow his advice😄
    • Posted

glad its not just me that finds it difficult to look at I thought it was me being squeamish ! thanks for that
    • Posted

Hello well I can look at it ok and put bio oil on but only with a wad of cotton wool still can't touch it ew

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.