A family member sent me a cute little picture with the following printed on it:

Rx for chronic pain

Sunshine

Rest

Healthy diet

Stay busy

Positive thinking

Exercise

Well sure! Why haven't I tried these before??

Tonight, while I lay here with every nerve in my back on fire and aching - while I pray for just 2 hour's of uninterrupted sleep and try to find a comfortable position to lay in that won't cause my hands and feet to fall asleep and tingle...I will just try some more freaking exercise!!!

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Beachgirl,

sorry, but I have just read your message and have a big smile on my face. Your pain is not funny, it's just the way you ended the message which made me smile.  

I'm sure people mean well when they come out with all this advice, but sometimes I get the impression that they are being a little patronising. x

• Posted

Really feeling for you beachgirl57...no one knows what it's really like...they probably mean well, but  just don't know what to do..none of that will take away what your going through...chin up..gentle hugs to you from over the seas...I'm in remission..at the moment..just get bad flare ups now..but there is light at the end of the tunnel..thank God...I have been diagnosed for 30 years...many different autoimmune conditions,..😨.yuk,  gotta say the first 10 years were the worst..hope better days are a head for you ..be blessed...take care..have a lovely day..😍😍😍

• Posted

Hi beachgirl,

Im sorry for your frustration, though I'm sure your family member meant well people tend not to understand illnesses. My mom had MS and after a good 20 years of living with it I caught her brother about to send her a leaflet he had picked up on "learning to live with MS". Thankfully I managed to dissuade him from sending it just in time. He meant well, but....it was rather like what your family member did, so I guess at least it's not just us fibro sufferers that get it.

hope this helps 😊

• Posted

Hi beachgirl 57 I understand how you fell with pain but this made me chuckle with the end part. Thanks for cheering me up on yet another sleepless night 😊 kirsty x

• Posted

I think the only people who really understand fibromyalgia, its symptoms, and how it makes us feel are the other people who have it.  The family member obviously has no idea how you feel or they wouldn't have sent that.  I wish everyone could be educated about it and not think our symptoms are made up or exagerated. I understand your frustration.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.