New rash help im scared!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Im 43 and have a shingles rash on the back of my neck left side...i went to the dr about a week after the rash started..he said medicatiin may not work but gave it to me anyways...after 3 days i had to stop because of upset stomach...after 3 weeks the rash seemed to be clearing up...but then a new rash of blisters started on the edge of the old rash...i admit to scratching in my sleep...did this start it again? Also the bursitis in my right shoulder is so bad i cant move it..did shingles irritate this too? Stress caused the shingles i was miving out of state when it all happened.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I strongly suggest go back to your doctor again as soon as possible, you should be getting treatment, the sooner is better. Best wishes buddy
  • Posted

Dear Dark Vixen,

I am so sorry you are going through this. It appears that you had a recurrence or extension of the initial Herpes Zoster-Shingles. The stress of moving certainly could have precipitated the episodes.

Your bursitis in the right shoulder is probably triggered by the physical labor of moving, not the shingles.

Also, did you move to a state with lots of sunshine? Ultraviolet radiation can trigger shingles.

To prevent further recurrences, Google High Lysine Low Arginine diet. Many members of this forum including me find the frequency and intensity of recurring episodes of Shingles has decreased markedly by following this diet. Some take Lysine supplements.

Please have your Vitamin D level checked. It should be between 40-60. Vitamin D is essential for immune function.

There is the new immunization Shingrex which has been efficacious in reducing the frequency of Shingles episodes. I would inquire about the availability in your area. You should be eligible as you have had shingles. You are in the States.

I hope the pain is under control.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Exactly the same happened to me. A second rash, not blisters and not as bad. Went after about two weeks. Dr said it was possibly a sensitive reaction to something topical and gave me antihistamine. I had put several topical ointments on the rash so seemed plausible. Don’t know what it was really but it went away after about two weeks
    • Posted

I have been using a cream for poison ivy..to help with the itching and rubbing alcohol to dry it out. Thanks i hope its true and clears up cause its twice the size it was.
  • Posted

Don’t put anything on if you can stand it. It’s far too sensitive for rubbing alcohol, just leave it alone to mend itself. 
    • Posted

Ok...i havent put anything on it in 2 days...we will see if it helps..pain is not bad it just feels like a burn.
  • Posted

Hi Dark. Sorry you are going through this. I see others have responded to your email message. Follow their wise advice to the letter, friend. Shingles can be a lifelong sentence and should not be taken lightly but you have come to the right place for answers and support. Many wonderful people here on this forum, who have been where you are now. I hope this finds you feeling better. Take care friend
    • Posted

Thank you so much....i was very scared at first but i have felt so relieved sonce i have posted. The second outbreak is itcher then the first one so its harder not to itch...lol....tired alot but not trying to nap just resting around the house.
    • Posted

Nothing wrong with being scared, friend. Shingles can be a lifetime sentence without parole, if not caught in time and taken seriously. Ref to your itching, most have found that cold compresses were great for an active rash that was itching. The cold compress did work for me as well at times but not so much if i was going away from home because the topical would wear off too quickly and as you know, shingles is often NOT always located on an area easily accessed if you are away from home. When i would have the shingles on my hip and knew i would be away from home or not able to treat topically often as needed, i used a warm compress instead, adding more heat as i went, BEFORE applying the topical lidocaine that was generously applied to a 4x4 gauze pad. Using the warmer cloths on the wound before applying made the topical treatment work almost immediately with a lesser amount needed and my relief from the topical lasted a significant time longer. Just a suggestion. Also, you may want to ask your doctor for a prescription for itching as well. One that is a non-drowsy itch medication will do wonders and make you less miserable. Hope you continue to heal quickly friend. Take care
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice...the shingles rash is spreading all over the back of my neck and hairline so im going to the dr again on monday...im so scared now. Its been 2 months since the first outbreak.
    • Posted

Hey friend. Going back in to see your doc sounds like a good idea. I know this sounds crazy to even suggest to you but try to stay as calm as you can through this. It's scary for sure and we've all felt that same fear but stress will make your shingles worse, fast. Also, keep in mind that bravely suffering with the pain will also have the same negative effect, causing your shingles to spread, from the pain alone. None of us like to take the narcotics meds and don't self-medicate (let someone you trust give you the pain meds) but unfortunately narcotics are a must and no way to get around it. So don't suffer with the pain, friend. If your shingles are recurring and spreading like it sounds, your antiviral may need to be changed. Have you had the new Shingrix vaccine yet? It DOES work and i'm living the proof daily. Hope you get some relief fast, friend.

• Posted

I contacted Shingles about 7 months ago. The rash appeared around my upper left thigh and around my genital area  I attempted to get an appointment (some hope!) and eventually spoke to a nurse practitioner who was on triage.  She diagnosed shingles and made an appointment for me to see a G.P. He confirmed the diagnosis on examination and was a little concerned because of the penis/testicle area.  He prescribed Gabapentin.  Although the rash has gone there is still scarring which is irritating and uncomfortable (and embarrassing to scratch in public). I wear boxer briefs/shorts which irritate - briefs have been tried but even worse.  Have I got to live with this?
    • Posted

Hi JonnoJohn!

Sorry you are still dealing with the aftermath of Herpes Zoster-Shingles. As you still are itching, you have Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN.

1. What dose of Gabapentin are you on? Sometimes, the Physician places on patient on a lower dose, but needs to increase it to help with the itching.

2. I would find 100% cotton knit boxers. Make sure there is no inner seam to irritate your skin. The cotton knit is the most breathable, least irritating cloth to most individuals.

3. Use Lidocaine Cream or Spray topically to help with the itching. Many on this forum feel either Lidocaine or Benzocaine help with the itching. The cream might soothe the inflamed nerve endings better and last longer. You can only use Lidocaine 12 hours on and 12 hours off, as the usefulness will extinguish itself.

4. At home, use ice or cool compresses. Do not take hot showers.

5. Most Important, get the Shingrex Immunization as the vaccine has been helping decrease the pain and itching of Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hello i found no dr here to give me the vaccine because im not 60 years old...has any one else had this problem....and my secondary rash has blisters so i dont think its post itching due to the nerves...it was a quarter size 2 months and now its most of the back of my neck into my hairline...its scary cause the articles mention meningitis...and these are giving me headaches.
    • Posted

Hi Dark Vixen,

Where do you live?

Is the rash located on one side of the neck? Is the rash actively spreading?

Is the second rash on your neck diagnosed as shingles?

If the shingles is currently active, a clinician would not want to give you the Shingrex now.

I would find another Physician to give you the Shingrex once your rash resolves. I realize you did not tolerate the Antiviral well.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hey Dark. Most of the chain oharmacues and health dept are staying with the CDC age recommendation butcheck with the privately owned pharmacies. Most of them ARE giving the vaccine, no matter your age, if your doctor will write the prescription for you. Best of luck, friend
    • Posted

Yes the rash is actively spreading...its in the left side of my neck and i found new pustules on my hairline going up towards my ear...the second rash was confirmed and im in marietta Georgia
    • Posted

I know you had an upset stomach with the first antiviral. Perhaps you could try again with an antinausea medication and a different antiviral? Famciclovir is the easiest on my digestive tract.

Also, the pharmacies will give you Shingrex with an order from your Physician in most States.

I hope you feel better.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.