New Research re Reducing Inflammation -- Working for me -- Dramatically

Posted , 18 users are following.

Don't know if anyone has covered this yet, but there was a U of GA study funded by NIH that started to be talked about this Spring.  The scientists discovered that drinking baking soda water 2 X a day can help with inflammation.  Apparently, the baking soda turns off the inflammatory production of the pancreas and TURNS ON an ANTI-INFLAMMATORY mechanism.  

I was having great success with boron/turmeric/serrapeptase earlier this year for my PMR -- my lab results showed huge reductions in CRP and Sed Rate within one month of this regime.  Something like a 60plus reduction right out of the box.  But, even though my markers were incredibly lower, the pain/stiffness/numbness, while reduced, was still plaguing me -- not terrible and debilitating like the initial onset, but still there.  Then  -- 

I tried the baking soda.  Have done it for a month now -- results -----  AMAZING.  Am practically free from pain and stiffness.  No, not all gone but dramatic!!!!  First time in 9 months that I am practically NORMAL. 

Are there complications with the baking soda -- of course.  Are there complications with ANYTHING you do -- of course.  Is baking soda for everyone -- NO.  Don't know if you can do if on Prednisone.  I WAS NOT ON PREDNISONE.  I only took the pred for one week in order to be diagnosed with PMR but have not been on it since.  DO YOUR HOMEWORK -- INTENSELY -- and see if it is something you could try.  Just Google (or whatever) Baking Soda and Inflammation or Baking Soda and Autoimmune.

My regime -- 1/2 TEAspoon in 8 oz of water in AM and PM.  I always took away from foods and medicines.  Two hours either side.  (This can be the hard part.)  This dosage was less than some recommendations but worked for me.  May need to supplement with folic acid in connection with B-12 absorption, etc., etc.  Again, do your own research.

My goal was to be free of PMR within one year WITHOUT PREDNISONE.  I am getting closer by the day.  If my doctor had not taken 4 months to finally admit I had it, I probably would have already reached that goal   But that is okay -- I'm almost there. razz

Best of luck.  

2 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Very interesting.  A number of us have been wondering whether baking soda would work for PMR, and also what the suggested dosage was.  Thanks for sharing.
  • Posted

Here is an article that talks about it:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180425093745.htm

I am really, really interested in hearing from the gurus here!

And moderator, thanks for your review!

• Posted

Very interesting read Danrower, I wonder the quantity in 8 oz of water. Has anyone found anything? ☺️
    • Posted

Thought I'd try half a teaspoon twice a day as e5503 is doing. I cannot find any information regarding dose in the information so far.  I am no scientist but the reports sound very convincing and from very reputable sources.

• Posted

I am really looking forward to looking into this!  I was diagnosed earlier this year and am currently taking 10mg Pred.  I know I will start reducing at the end of the month and I haven't been looking forward to it!  Your post sounds very interesting indeed.

You have done very well without any pred and I wish you all the very best.

• Posted

Does anyone have a link to this paper? I think I remember seeing it and maybe the doses of baking soda were of concern to me perhaps?

• Posted

Are Baking Soda and Sodium Bicarbonate one and the same?  There is a lot of information on the internet about the use of Bicarb to treat inflammation of various kinds but it also warns about the possible interaction with corticosteroids such as prednisone.
    • Posted

Baking soda and bicarbonate of soda are the same thing, just with different names.
    • Posted

You'd have to make sure that the rest of your diet is rather low sodium as a teaspoon of bicarb will give you between a quarter and a half the daily sodium you should probably consume.  I inadvertently made myself sodium deficient, but that probably happened when I stopped eating nearly all prepared foods, not even tinned tomatoes in recipes, for example.   I've just read that the average adult consumes close to 10,000 mg sodium a day which is more than twice what's healthy, and even more than the latest probably too low recommendations.  

• Posted

Hi Anhaga, do you blanch your tomatoes to make sauce? I do, I learned to cook that way as a teenager from my piano teacher. In fact I learned several different recipes from him. I enjoy cooking and get hand a bit. Jan let me help. ☺️
    • Posted

I used to when I cooked.  Now I just throw a few things on a plate and hope for the best (cooking what needs to be cooked of course).  

My children are all good cooks.  They learned out of self defence!

• Posted

Thanks for this Anhaga.  I hadn't considered that but I prepare all our meals from scratch so I will start checking the salt content.  I don't add salt but I do use stock cubes so I will reduce those.  Possible have to give up my digestive biscuits but it's a small price to pay if the bicarb works!

Even on 10mg pred the fronts of my hand are very red and a bit swollen with a slight fizzy sort of ache in my wrists. I am hoping this visible sign of PMR will reduce after a few weeks of bicarb. Then I will tell my GP!!

Thanks

Kate

• Posted

Hi again to the thread responders -- everyone -- please remember to do proper research on everything.  I would like to note that the KIND of salt one uses is very important.  Table salt and commercialized salt that is prevalent in prepared foods is sodium chloride.  As I understand it, this is a stripped down version of real salt -- all of the nutrients have been removed and our bodies cannot process it properly..  Pink (Himalayan) salt (and/or sea salt) is loaded with something like 84 minerals and numerous enzymes.  It can be used in much larger quantities than the table salt without issues.  When the table/commercial salt is not recognized by your body, complications occur.  Real salt enhances your health.  Our bodies need a certain amount of salt to function.  (Pink salt is very useful for adrenal issues.)

I agree that one does need to be careful with baking soda and its salt content -- especially long term -- BUT please note that baking soda has been used for generations for a myriad of health issues and has a long record of success.  Will baking soda work for those on prednisone??  I would be very cautious!!!!  I have been NOT on prednisone so my circumstances may be different from yours.

Also, with the research -- always use various  informational providers to vet what you are reading.  As an example -- I have been using serrapeptase for my PMR.  There are many articles that say it hasn't been researched enough to be able to determine its effectiveness/safety.  In actuality, it has been researched up one side and down the other in Europe and used by doctors there for about 30 years.  Its the U.S. that is behind. AND, if there is a product that works and is inexpensive, it is a threat to pharmaceutical companies and to doctors who are not knowledgeable.  AND, in many cases, more and more, it is coming out that research which is funded surreptitiously by the pharmaceutical companies is not proper research and is sometimes proven to be completely bogus.  i.e., There was an article against serrapeptase on one of the threads a while back on this blog site.  However, if you look at the author's other information, he was saying that things like aspartame and artificial sweetners are perfectly fine to take (soft drinks, etc.).  That is a totally untrue as there is plenty of scientific  information saying otherwise. Aspartame, in particular, has terrible consequences.

As a side thing -- when I told the rheumatologist that I didn't want to use prednisone long term, she essentially stopped the interview.  She was totally unaware of my other health issues which would have been disastrous on prednisone.   She didn't ask about any thing that would have been relevant -- she did not physically exam me (I was in a wheel chair sitting in front of her -- she didn't see me unable to move my arms or almost unable to walk).  She shut me down completely.  It was highly offensive to her that I didn't want the prednisone and that was the end of any conversation.  She was not knowledgeable about any other avenues that might have been helpful and -- in my case -- which I have since used with success.  One month on the triad of things I took and my numbers went down 60 to 75 percent -- without prednisone -- that -- to me is huge.

And please -- take all information (from me or anybody else -- even your doctor) with a grain of salt (pardon the pun) until you have done your own research in connection with your own circumstances.  I have an integrative doctor -- but even then, he did not believe I had PMR at first.  Kept trying to tell me I had sciatica and didn't do proper testing.  He even sent me for physical therapy which made things worse.  Trying to make muscles bend that are practically paralyzed only damages them.  If I hadn't become knowledgeable about a lot of things with PMR, my story would be a lot different.  As it was, I suffered greatly for four months until I became involved with what we were doing.  The good news for this doctor is he was okay with this and didn't write me off as the rheumy did.

I will be traveling and without internet for a while, so I will not be back on this site to see any responses. 

In the meantime, best to you all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.