New scoliosis diagnosis, aged 40

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I recently met an othopedic surgeon socially who said I have mild scoliosis.   This was a big shock, although there is a strong family history (ie my mother and maternal grandmother had severe scoliosis.)   I was not aware of the mild version even existed and thought I had dodged the bullet.   

I went to the GP (in the UK) who confirms it, though she asked if I'm in pain and when I said no she said maybe doing nothing is OK?   

The orthopedic told me that my shoulders are abnormally stiff, (and over-sized for my small frame,)    due to compensating for a weakness lower down my spine.   And my arms hang there like a monkey!   I drag my feet slightly when I walk.

I dont want to waste NHS resources but am concerned this gets worse with age, (I watched this happen to my mother.)   My back and shoulders are not in pain but feel very stiff.   Should I go back to the GP and ask for investigations or treatment?    I have not had an x-ray since i was 9 (looking for scoliosis due to family history.)   This was inconclusive due to young age.

Should I ask the GP to be able to see a physio, osteopath, get an xray, or ask to see an orthopedic doctor ???    I do not know which exercises to do (and which might make things worse...).

I was told that due to family history my chances of getting it was 1/8.... however 3 generations of women in my family have it so I wonder if it it true...

I try to wear flat shoes, use a back-pack style hand bag, and tight clothes feel uncomfortable.  

Good luck and blessings to anyone with this extra thing to deal with...

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Jessica,  I too wasn’t diagnosed with mild scoliosis til I was much older ...,as a result of that I developed kyphosis...I have been trying to correct that on a regular basis with exercises, chiropractic visits and constant reminders to stand straighter. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.