New shingles vaccine "Shingrix" IS working!!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello friends. Please let me first say THANK YOU again for every ounce of support I have received from this forum, from ALL of you. I was truly blessed to find you. God bless you all.

Wanted to share with everyone my recent development. On April 2nd 2018, i took the newly approved shingles vaccine called "Shingrix". It is new, so ask for it specifically by name. It took almost a full two months to see ANY improvement but after 8 YEARS of suffering with reoccurring shingles, this vaccine appears to be working!

My case is ongoing but truthfully, until 3 days ago, i could not have said with any confidence that it truly works. But the improvement i've had these past 3 days, i can NOW say, it DOES work.

For those of you not familiar with it, Shingrix is a two-dose vaccine you take 2-6 months apart. The creators of this new vaccine claim it has a 97% success rate and that's very high for any non-live vaccine.

The CDC recommendation is for age 50 and older but remember this is a recommendation and most pharmacies and clinics WILL adhere to it but call around to the privately owned pharmacies. If your doctor writes you the prescription, many privately owned pharmacies WILL give the shot to you.

Like I said, i took my first dose April 2nd and scheduled to take my next dose this coming Saturday, on June 2nd.

I've had shingles well over 100 times. My husband and i stopped counting around 140. I was still getting reoccurring shingles, even though i was taking 3000 mg Acyclovir EVERY DAY for a full 5 years and most recently adding an additional 1500 mg Famciclovir. I still got the shingles but the daily antivirals offered me some protection against the nerve damage, PHN.

For the first time in years, i am actually hopeful that this new vaccine will allow me to come off ALL antivirals AND pain meds. Because my shingles is mostly on my face and eye, hospitalization and/or sedation was required just to relieve the pain. When i wasn't sedated, pain meds have been my daily norm.

As i mentioned, it took nearly the full two months to see any improvement but now i've seen great improvement and have had NO pain and NO pain medication in 3 days. Today will be my 4th day and i am STILL in NO pain.

I brushed my hair and put it in a ponytail yesterday. I talked on the phone, without a speaker for the first time in over two years. i've left my home 6 different times in the past 2 days and i've had NO pain medication and NO pain anywhere.

Keep in mind, this new vaccine "Shingrix" was just approved and released by CDC this past January 2018, so ask for it by name. Most doctors and pharmacies have little information on it. They all know about it but it is THAT new. The CDC has posted their research, testing and results online, for public view.

I will keep you posted. God bless us ALL.

~Rhonda

6 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

So happy for you!  
    • Posted

Thank you Andrea. At first I was scared to get my hopes up, then about had given up...then sudden turn around at the 2 month mark. Feeling happy this may be a relief to us ALL. Tale care sweetie and God bless
    • Posted

Hello Rhonda

Hoping you did get the 2nd shingrix vaccine!  I am excited to know what happen after the vaccine!  I know you said that the first vaccine you had shingles and still get the vaccine!

Now with the second shot did you also had shingles when you went to get the vaccine?  Are the blisters gone or do you still get them without pain?  Are you still taking anti virals even thought you had the two vaccines or did you stop after the vaccines taking the anti virals?  Please let me know because this way everyone can have an idea what to expect before and after the vaccines!   I will wait for your reply and wait for more good news!!  Waiting for a miracle,  I have burning pain still but mild one or two blisters and still taking anti virals!

Take care

Myrna

• Posted

Rhonda

I want to tell you that I am so happy for you that you have no pain!  I mean it’s been 8 years you fighting this monster disease and it’s about time you can brush your hair and go outside!  You deserve this and much more my friend!  I have some pain on my scalp and wonder if this was the last time I won’t get a bout!  I took anti viral Zovirax in February and almost 4 months now I got a mild bout and the blisters healed rather fast!  I hope I can say in the future I am blessed and will not get anymore and no pain or itching!  Maybe I am asking for a miracle?  I know you have prayed for me and I can say your words have helped me indeed!  Right now I got home with my husband with a terrible reaction to the med he was given in the ER with the terrible doctor I told you guys!  My husband was so weak I had to almost carried him out the door to the ambulance!  I got home a while ago and just cried my eyes out in the bathroom because I didn’t want him to see me cry!  He was worst enough to add more worries!  I want to thank you for your prayers because somehow I have endured everything and I am thinking it’s because of all the beautiful people here and especially you my friend!  I am happy for you and I want to hear soon where you tell me that shingles are gone in the name of sweet Jesus!  Have a great afternoon!🙏🏻??

• Posted

Forgot to say that being able to comb your hair onto a ponytail is Big news!  I know what it is not to be able to do such a simple thing as to comb ones hair,  but pain is the demon that doesn’t let us!  I couldn’t go out this past Mother’s Day or wear the beautiful dress my daughter had gotten me for that occasion!  I had to stay home because of the pain I was enduring that day!  Since February I lost my life!  I write stories for Wattpad and I haven’t even been able to open my laptop!

My grandkids graduation was missed!  But I will bring my head high and say there will be relief and as I said before I want to believe that there will be no more shingles and we all will win this battle because you are proof of this!!

Bless you

• Posted

Aweeeee Myrna, bless your heart. You have so much on you. I am so very sorry and my heart is heavy for both you and your husband. I will be praying EVERY day and night for you both.

I took the Zostavax vaccine about 4 years ago and it did help but never like this. Have you take the new vaccine "Shingrix"? It was just approved late January and they are saying even if you took the old vaccine that you still can and should take this new one. Wouldn't it be wonderful if this was the answer for us ALL?

Please keep me posted how you are doing. I've thought of you so often since we started talking on here because I can remember when it felt like everything was hitting all at once for us too and over and over. It felt like we trapped inside a tornado or tragedy on top of another.

Bless your heart. Do try to take extra precautions with all the pressure you are under.

I will be sure to keep you posted and fingers crossed it is all good news

Take care and chat will you again soon

~Rhonda

• Posted

You are so right Myrna. Just the simple act of brushing your hair or brushing your teeth. Showers...forget it, ouch. Baths ONLY for me.

I know what you mean. I've missed so many events too. Doesn't it feel so bad to keep telling our young ones we just can't make it. Have missed out on so much

Hopefully not for long though. If this new vaccine Shingrix keeps working, i am making up for lost time : ) Fingers crossed for us ALL.

Day 4...NO pain : )

• Posted

Hello Rhonda

It’s been a few days I had the burning pain and just today my daughter saw a tiny blister drying out!  Since February after like two months a tiny blister also came out!  Could these be like two weeks from one tiny blister to another be mild bouts?

It’s the pain on my scalp which hurts!  The burning and itching comes too!  The rest of my scalp is clear!  In February it was a line on top of my scalp from one side to the other and that lasted like a week!  After two months one tiny blister and like I said today one other tiny blisters!  Can these be mild bouts Rhonda?

I will be seeing my dicotomía on June 18 as well!  Will ask for anti viral Zovirax too

Glad you are better and let me know if you have had blisters too ok!  Tell me about your vaccine on June 2 ok

Blessings 

Myrna

• Posted

Concur with your comments on the new vaccine Shingrix. All reviews I read on the new vaccine are positive. I’ve had ophthalmic shingles PHN since July 2013. My case is a mild one today compared to how bad it was when I first got hit with it. Although I have not had blisters since the initial ones, I still have a mild case of pain and itching. I will be taking the Shingrix vaccine the next few days. The Shingrix vaccine has a 90% effectiveness of preventing shingles or not getting a recurrence of shingles. It is also recommended for people who have already taken the older vaccine. What caught my attention on Shingrix is the following: Shingrix may also help on treating or alleviating nerve damage, which is the root cause of PHN. Who knows, Shingrix  could be the answer to treating or even curing Shingles. I recommend all people, even younger ones than 50 years old, consult with their medical provider on taking the new vaccine Shingrix.
    • Posted

Hi Hector. Same here with the shingles in my eye. It began on my hip 8 years ago but then moved to my eye about year and half later. Been there ever since with too frequent bout of it by hip at same time.

You are spot on correct, friend. Yes, i read the same. This thing is pretty big deal if it works. So many are suffering.

Great to hear you are going for your first dose. That's great. I will say it literally took almost the ENTIRE 2 months to see ANY speck of improvement but then 6 days before the 2 month mark, everything took an about face. I've been getting better ever since.

To say that it helped my PHN would be an understatement on my part. They had me in high dose Dilaudid, Morphine and Amitriptyline for the pain. I haven't taken pain meds in 4 days and i actually still had shingles 4 days ago. I had the rash but no pain. I was looking at it in my mirror and saying to myself..,"I should be screaming in pain right now". I even touched my face yesterday, which i would have NEVER done before but NO pain. Everyday, the rash is fading.

I go back Saturday for my 2nd dose. The first dose knocked me down pretty bad but had shingles at the time I took it. Didn't have a choice at that point. This 2nd dose may knock me down again, like the firstn but I will be there when they turn that key. It will all be worth it if keeps works.

Please keep me posting on your progress. Hoping good things for us ALL.

~Rhonda

• Posted

To all I had the vaccine three weeks ago from my supermarket Pharmacy (no cost). I did have a reaction for a day only. I never want the Shingles nightmare to return. I hope I am in the 97% group. PHN was brutal last year 
    • Posted

We hope that you are in that 97%. We are hoping WITH you, friend : )
  • Posted

Update:

I went to the ER but another hospital where I left this morning about 6am.....yes that early as I didn’t sleep last night with pain!

A wonderful doctor there heard all I had to say and checked me out!

He saw the little bout of shingles and knew right away my problem!

He gave me my anti viral meds and others for the pain and itch! 

He also administered great med through IV!  

He explained it all and in my mind many great advice I was given here in this forum rang a bell!   I am grateful to this doctor because right now I have no pain!  I am waiting for my prescription! 

I want to thank you and everyone here!  Asked about the shingles vaccine and he said after I am cleared for a month to talk to my head doctor for that info on shingrix vaccine because she is the one to give me the right of way!  I remembered you taking your shingrix vaccine with a bout right?  Was the reaction bad?  Or do we have to wait to be almost cleared?  Pls let me know because my appt is June 18!

I want to hear that your second and last shingrix vaccine was a win win and you are doing great!

• Posted

Sorry for my delay, friend. I've been more down than up, for a while now. How are you, friend? You doing okay??

• Posted

Hi!  I am 39 years old and I really want to get Shingrix.  I had shingles in my eye and do not want it back. I was wondering if anyone here received this vaccine that is under 50.  Apparently it has only been studied in patients over 50 so I would feel better to hear from others!

Thank you!!

• Posted

Hi Kc. Sorry for my delay as i've been down for a long while. Yes, i know people under 50 that took the Shingrix vaccine. The chain pharmacies, like CVS or Walgreens and your local Health Department tend to stick to CDC recommended age of minimum 50 years of age. However, privately owned pharmacies will give it to you, no matter your age, as long as you have a doctor's prescription for the vaccine. Also, when Shingrix was first approved, cancer patients, both young and old, were given the Shingrix vaccine because they were high risk to get shingles due to their weakened immune system. Hope you are doing well

~R. F.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.