New side effects after 3 years??!! Is this possible

Posted , 2 users are following.

hello, this is my first post here so I'm sorry for any ignorance that I show or if I share too much information.

I've been on Topiramate for 3 years now for analogous hemispheric migraine symptoms.

The topirimate made me lose a good 10lbs at the start but I didn't complain about that and slowly my appetite settled back and my weight levelled off and I was quite happy. Aside from that I've not really noticed many other side effects, I've always suffered with bouts of depression so never really connected that to the medication when it has reappeared in the last 3 years.

Now, my question... For the last 4 to 6 months I have noticed a worsening fatigue, muscle weakness and joint pain. Sometimes my back hurts so much I can hardly stand. I am tender to touch on my arms and legs like I have bruises but for no reason.

I thought I had hypothyroidism but the GP insists that my blood levels are fine.

Has anyone had any new symptoms appear after a significant time on the medication? Or is it more likely that something else may be going on?

Thank you for all of your time

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Hello Rachyburd~

I've been taking Topiramate for many years. I didn't think I was having any adverse reactions. I have everything you've mentioned and have been to my doctor about it several times. Not once did she consider I've been suffering from side effects! She said I probably have fibromyalgia, which I never believed. Even my eye started twitching two weeks ago. Last night was the last night I will take this medicine! I hope you start feeling better very soon! Now I will research a different migraine preventative.

Best regards,

Gigi

• Posted

thank you, Gigi for your reply I'm sorry I took so long to get back to you.

I went to my GP and they said that my iron was a little low and I had to go on supplements for 4 months! he also suggested Fibromyalgia but won't refer me until my iron levels are normal.

I am more and more convinced that it is all the topirimate but I don't think I can go back to my migraine riddled life just yet.

I hope you are doing ok and that coming off the topirimate is the right thing for you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.