New spinal cord stimulator implant

Posted , 2 users are following.

12 days post op for Boston Scientific Spectra WaveForm SCS. Was wondering if anyone else has had issues with balance once they stood?  Feeling like my balance is off a bit. I also am still having pretty good amount of back pain.  Mostly from the area of where leads were implanted at L6-7 and above. Where the battery was implanted is doing very good. Just feel like I shouldn’t have to be taking the Valium still when I take the pain meds (Percocet 10 or 5) every 6 hours to just take edge off...also take Flexeril every night as well (taken for years) .  When I charged it tonight I got a headache while it was charging...is that normal?  Just want to be back up and going again I guess too.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It is actually a WaveWriter SCS from Boston Scientific. 
  • Posted

Hi Kim, I had mine put in this past February and yes, I do be off balance when it's on...Most people will have it programmed a few times to make sure it is helping your pain.  I still have back pain and I am using Oxycodone 20 mil.  Been dealing with my pain for many years until 2007 I was not able to walk in the building without crying.I've had steroids shots as well. the SCS is only supposed to take away about 50% of the pain away, that's why I still take pain pills and Flexeril. Let your Dr. know everything you feel. At this point, I don't use it daily, but when the pain is a 9-10, I will use it on low or medium. Good luck. And continue to see on here other people issue, you might have something in commom. Take care :-) PS maybe you should not use it when it's charging, maybe that will help :-) Good Luck!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I as well only got 60% relief from my pain but decided to try SCS and see if could decrease meds and frequency of epidural injections and radio frequency. I have similar issues with not being able to walk very long at all or sit for long periods. I have to lay down a lot. 
  • Posted

Hello Kim,

I only received 50% less pain using the SCS. My pain level is still high with the SCS, and when I use it, it does calm the pain, but I hardly use it because it affects my left leg and feet with pain.  I've learned to control it with my remote control, which I had to have it programmed again several times....and will be doing it again this month. I no longer get the shots and as for as my meds, it is the same, I thought it would lessen my meds but it did not. I went out for the 4th of July and after about 3 hours I had to get home asap because I was in so much pain about a 9 with my pain, and was walking like I could not, I was bent over in pain, I put my bags down and headed straight to my bed to lay down and took my meds. Everyone is different with the SCS, but, I am wondering if I should have it taken out because after having it done, not only my left leg and feet, I have nerve issues with both of my hands and stomach in the AM, once I start moving around it goes away. And my pain meds have me constipated all the time, which really bothers me.

Like I said everyone is different with the SCS, some complain about the battery moving etc. I don't have that issue. Maybe you need to read more of some of the issues on this site before you make a decision. Again good luck and I hope it works for you if you decide to have it done.  I hope I didn't scare you but I am just stating facts with me... :-) Have a good day okay! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.