New Spiriva product: anyone tried it yet?

Posted , 6 users are following.

My GP recently gave me a free sample of Spiriva Respimat Inhalaton.  It looks a bit like a ventolin inhaler and comes with a cartridge.

I haven't actually tried it yet except once in the GP'S office and would be interested in other peoples' experiences of it.    I'm hoping their quality control is better for this product than the old capsules:  I still find varying amounts of empty capsules in every prescription, which I report to them and am always told that "no one else has complained".

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jude,I suffer with Emphysema and have been using Spiriva since it came on the market (both spray and powder) and will say it is very good for copd..I recently had a LVRS and was taken off it for a while as I was taking ipratropium in the nebuliser and can't take Spiriva and  ipratropium together..For the past few weeks I have reverted back to Spiriva and have not come across empty capsules.You must keep the capsules dry and only expose the one needed as the capsule becomes soft..I have taken numerous inhalers over the years and strong medications for respiratory problems and will say I find Spiriva very good..I hope this helps,and good luck with the breathing..Take care.porche296.
    • Posted

From previous responses on this forum to my comments about Spiriva empty capsules, it only seems to be a problem with the Australian distributors.   It's nothing to do with how I look after the capsules, it's just very poor quality control which strangely enough, usually becomes 100% for a few months after a complaint - strange eh?   

Has the Respimat been available where you live for a while then?  They gave my GP a heap of freebies to give out as an introducdtory offer for a new product on the market .

• Posted

Spiriva has been with us for about 2 yrs  now.The inhaler spray had a few complaints of which you can google.I found it quite scary to read, and blamed it on  being tackycardia for some time..I am on a Pulmonary programme every few mths in the hospital gym, and all patients with copd are using the Spiriva respimat and all find it very effective..Kind regards ...
    • Posted

Thanks for the feedback:  do you mean the OLD Spiriva inhaler (not spray) has scary issues or the NEW one, ie Respimat?   
  • Posted

Yes hun, the old Spiriva spray.I was using for some time and had a lot of side effects..I am now on the grey round handihaler 18 microgram.
    • Posted

OK, I didn't know there was a spray as well as the round handihaler, which is what I've been on since diagnosis: the newest product is the Spiriva Respimat, which is the one I have the free sample for and am wondering how others have found it
    • Posted

Hi Vee

Haha i have trouble inhaling the capsules too but only Bc some are empty :0( pity they can't get it right considering the cost here in Australia

• Posted

Mine are subsidised because I'm on a pension, but i sitll call the company every now and again and complain about the empty capsules:  the phone number in Sydney is on the packet.

If enough people did the same maybe they'd improve their quality cotrol:  apparently the  empty capsule problem has existed for years because I first heard about it in rehab 3 1/2 years ago

• Posted

I started Spiriva a few months ago. I had chest pain from armpit to armpit so it has relieved that. I also asked for an emergency inhaler for later in the day as Spiriva wears out for me.  I experienced empty or dud pills also. I am trying to be more careful as how I tear the pill sheet apart.  The pills are no good once exposed. Really bad presentation from pharmiceutical company.  Very expensive but ineffectually wrapped. It should be taken daily.  It has really helped me but I would prefer a different delivery system.
    • Posted

Why don't you ask your doctor about the Spiriva Respimat?   I haven't tried my free sample yet becuase I'm using up the capsule prescription.  I've used capsules that have been exposed when the foil has torn off too far down and they still seem to work for me
  • Posted

I will ask for that when I get a viewing with a doctor. Thanks Jude. Then my theory about the pill misfires is wrong? Then they are just duds? They don't rattle, are overly broken and pssibly empty. I thought I was doing something wrong. I thought maybe I exposed them mistakenly and they dried out and the medicine disappeared.  I live in a low humidity desert.  How can a company charge $10.00 a pill and include duds? I will ask about the other form. Is it as good? I do like the results of Spiriva though I wish it lasted longer.
    • Posted

I don't know what you mean by rattling:  the duds result in nothing happening when you try & inhale, as if you're trying to inhale something solid.    I've been contacting the company every now and then when I find duds but they still turn up every now and again.

I ahven't actually tried the Respimat yet, I have two of the capsules left and will give it a go when I've finished them & post on here what I think of it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.