new style fentanyl patches making me sick

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been on the patches about 1 year. I just got my first refill of the new style patches and it's making me so nauseated I can't keep it on. I had no problems when I first started using the patches with nausea. anyone else experiencing this too?

3 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Victory Queen

I have been on Fentynal patches for 11 years. Mine are called Durogesic. What are the new ones called? After so many years im lucky to get 1 day out of the 3 days of relief. They still also make me sick & doey 6-8 hours after application when they start kicking in.

Im in Australia so maybe we dont have the new ones yet,but im curious to find out.

• Posted

Here in the states they had new requirements but the maker of the generic patches changed from Mallinckrodt to Mylan,  the ones I just got made by Mylan is making me very nauseated,. Just wondering if anyone else is having a problem. Have you ever cut yours in half like I do. It really helps with the highs and lows. Sometimes I have to scale myself back to smaller dose so it will be more affective again. 
  • Posted

Hello Victory queen,

These new style patches,  can you look them up and compare how Fentanyl they contain compared to previous patch you were on?   I did once look up the various brands and found that different companies had differing amounts of the drug in them.  It could be if there is a big difference your body will be needing time to adjust and hopefully this nausea will settle down as you get used to them.

To help meanwhile maybe eating an apple would ease the nauses with a couple of rice cakes,  or  how about plain popcorn - just something to put onto your stomach,    hard to think of eating when feeling ill I know, but it may help.  Apples are known for easing digestive troubles.

Hope you start feeling better soon.

Warmest regards

Jessie x

• Posted

Hi Victory,

So sorry your having problems. cry    Do you mind sharing which brand is making you nauseated?  I've had problems with Watson brand, and cannot believe how quickly I got sick...  I use Sandoz, and they are ok, but I must say i cannot even get in the shower with the tegederm

• Posted

I just started the patch 2 days ago and am so sick it's almost impossible to eat anything without throwing up. The internet says lay down when you feel that way and fit dies help but when I get up I am dizzy and sick again.
  • Posted

Hi 

I am trying to come off the Fentanyl now . I found the the brand PAR they have gel in them . I can't use them I got so sick and the pain . So I got the brand Mallinckrodt and they work better but I have to cover them with a  transdermal patch . Wish me let coming off 

• Posted

I think some folks get sick when they go from the patches that are "dry" to the ones that have a gel in them.  I have been on the ones with the gel forever.  Was prescribed the Mylan ones and I could not believe the difference in dose, I started withdrawal symptoms the 2nd day on the Mylan ones.  I use Watson or Actavis (generic for Duragesic) and they both have gel in them.  In my experience the dry ones (Mylan) are MUCH weaker and that is  probably why you are nauseated, that good/bad old opiod nausea.  It will pass as you get used to the higher dose contained in the different patch, it really should not last that long, unless you are not used to using opiods.  I wish you the best, and I hope that nausea passes.  I have found a cold cloth to my head helps my nausea.  Or benadryl will help, too.  Stay in touch!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.