New SVT diagnosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

About a month ago, I had an SVT episode where my pulse reached 250 bpm. I went to the ER where they gave me adenosine to control it. I saw a electrophysiologist who recommended that I go for ablation. I was given a holter monitor and did a stress test too. Nothing else came up. I took propanol once when my heart started racing again (140-150 bpm) and the side effects from the medicine were made me almost pass out (low bp, light-headed). Before I make a decision about the ablation, I was hoping to get a clearer picture about the options for me. I have a few questions I hope you guys can help me with.

1. Those of you who have had SVT for a while, do you feel tired, shortness of breath, dizziness, throughout the day without actually having an episode? Because I have been feeling like this for the last 2 years and not entirely sure if it's related to SVT. Or if I take care of the SVT , these symptoms would resolve as well?

2. Do SVT episodes get worse over time (years)? Did anybody get an ablation done which resolved SVT? Did it make it go away completely? How many ablations did it take if not with the first one?

3. Even your episodes stopped after ablation , did you still have lingering tiredness or did that go away as well?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Thank you.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

I have had SVT my whole life (now in my 30s). While I never really experienced symptoms when not having an episode, I do sometimes get a 'feeling' that an episode may start later that day - but no fatigue, shortness of breath or dizziness. My episodes did become more frequent over the past decade. I used to get less frequent but more severe ones, and now I find that I get more frequent but generally less severe ones. I usually don't go more than 2-3 weeks between episodes now vs. 6 months to a year between episodes in the past. I was hoping to be able to get an ablation, but the EP I saw actually advised against it, so I can't speak on that. Hope this helps!

• Posted

1, your heart is doing a marathon, so yeah you get pretty much wiped out and it can last a couple days. shortness of breath yes during. I would be somewhat labored the next day because of being weak. ask your Dr though.

2. for me became more frequent. the heart muscle can become tough over time. I had the ablation and for me it stopped. I can't comment on the amount of ablations I've had way to many.... I'm not your normal patient but I have an extensive history.

3. ablation isn't that bad , Dr's are gonna tell you you don't really feel anything but you'll be sore. heart will ache maybe a little burning but it goes away and 99% of the time your back to normal in about a month + or -.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.