New swollen lump right by perineum stitch (day 18)

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

I have been doing ok but today am a bit more sore and have noticed a new small swollen lump on the left side right next to my lowest perineal stitch. It wasn't there yesterday. Has anyone else had something like this and any advice on what I should do?

Thanks

Trina x

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Trina

Sorry to hear you have more pain. I also had a lump there and noticed it at day 8. I didn't want to go back to where I had the op as the nursing staff were appalling and uncaring. Fortunately I have a very close friend who is an Obs & Gynae reg (and does our regularly ) so he had a look. He said it could possibly have been a haematoma, as a bruise tracked from it on to the top of my leg. Anyway he said he thought it looked to be healing well.

Have you been up and about more than before? Have you been having BMs ok? What about your pain relief? Are you still having that regularly?

If you're really worried, you could call the ward where you had it done, for them to have a look? Did they give you a number to call?

It's probably all fine and just part of the healing process so it depends how worried you are. My lump has gone down some, but I still the most painful part.

Try to rest today and take regular pain relief and see how it goes, or if not call ward or your gp (though your gp might not know what it should look like at this stage )

Good luck

Sue x

• Posted

Thanks Sue, good to know it's not just me! I am going to call the GP in a couple of minutes and try to get an appt today and go from there; it's just so awkward to get a lump in that area as it restricts movement totally!! Typically I have just got my little girl back so it's going to be harder to take it easy but so far she has been a star! X

• Posted

Good plan. I'm sure your gp will be able to reassure you hun.

Let us know how you get on.

Lots of love

Sue xx

• Posted

Hi trina.

Does the lump look like a big blister type lump but not fluid like inside. I had 2 lumps. One on either side of my perineum stitch and they looked like the sides had been rubbing together and caused 2 friction like blisters. They were very raw looking and very tender to touch after having a wee. I had to dab very gently. And sitting was uncomfortable. I eventually went to Drs and she thought it was due to the stitch being very tight. She offered to cut the stitch but I declined as I didn't know if it was fully healed and didn't want parts coming undone so I just put up with it. But it just felt and looked like friction burns. My hubby was worried they would turn hard like a callous but they didn't. Haha. Can't remember when they went away but it felt like forever.

Hope this helps.

It's a tough recovery. Take care. X

• Posted

Hi Fi, yes it sounds similar. The only reason j am more worried is that it has just suddenly come up from nowhere; was yours there all along or did yours pop up later too? X
    • Posted

Wasn't there in beginning but can't tenner when it showed up but it was about 3/4 wks when I went to Drs. And I think I'd had it a wk or so. Maybe it appears due to swelling causing the rubbing. Or maybe it's the type of stitch they have put in that's tight and causes irritation as time passes. I don't know but mine have gone. I'm now 16wks post op and t all feeling normal down there minus the prolapse feeling ?? X

• Posted

Do you think it could be the start of a stitch abscess trina? If so you need antibiotics today x
    • Posted

Possibly matron, it's certainly painful enough to be. Am at GP now waiting to be seen and trying not to cry!! X

• Posted

I'm back from the dr and they think it could indeed be a stitch abscess. The examination was horrid as every time she touched me I jumped a mile!! I think she soon realised how painful it was!

Now on a weeks course of co-amoxiclav so fingers crossed things will quickly improve.

Thanks for all coming back to me so quickly in my hour of need! Much appreciated xx

• Posted

As soon as I read your post trina I was sure that's what it was and the problem with these abscesses is that if you don't get antibiotics very quickly you become very unwell. So well done for getting an appointment so quickly. Rest now and drink lots of water x

• Posted

Hi Trina

Sorry to hear that's what it is, but very glad you went to gp quickly. It's another hurdle, but with the help of the antibiotics, you'll be fine.

Back to watching those Olympics eh?

Best wishes

Sue x

• Posted

Get well soon Trina. Sorry to see you have been in pain 😢

Helen

Xx

• Posted

Arh bless you trina. Hope the antibiotics work and it clears up and eases the pain. Take care and enjoy the olympics. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.