New Symptoms 2 Years Post Op?

Posted , 6 users are following.

My daughter is 15 and had decompression surgery in December 2015. Her MRI at one year was fine. In the last few months she gets dizzy walking (not one for standing up) and blurred vision. She’s never had these before. We were blessed that her only symptoms prior to surgery for her headaches. She goes for another MRI in February.  What could be causing this?  Anyone else?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It’s the Chiari.  Sometimes MRI and Ct will not pick up what is going on.  I had surgery in 2014.  I think I have cervical instability and I can’t sit up for very long.  I just about pass out.  Im still walking but not well.  The spine nerves affect just about every part of your body.  My teeth have pain in them.  Neurologist and neurosurgeon don’t always have the answers.  I’ve tried gabapentin, lyrica, bunches of muscle relaxers, opioids and even morphine.  Nothing helps.  Gone to PT, needling, massage, acupuncture and injections.  I spent thousands of dollars and it’s a money making business and no relief.  Not trying to discourage you just giving u the truth.  Bottom line surgery is not a fix.  I have slowly gotten worse. I also have throat pain.  Sorry to dump all this.  I could sugarcoat it but the only thing u can do is follow up with neurosurgeon.  
    • Posted

When have you been operated?

Did you had syrinx? Did they opened your dura and put a patch when you were operated?

Do you have any other issues besides your chiari?

• Posted

Hi Dear

I have all those symptoms all my life because of my migrain

I always confuse if the symptoms are from chiari or migrain

After 50 years I know now which is which

Take care

• Posted

Hi there,

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter...each person is different - I have a successful decompression and free of drugs or pain..my suggestion would be taking your daughter and have another check up - or ask the neurologist to provide LP (Lumbered puncture) its help some patients post decompression..no medicine will help ..best try to do Tai Chi or Yoga (even though she might be struggling as well)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.