New symptoms after doing endoscopy

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello guys

I had an endoscopy done 2 days ago and right after i sedation effect went off i started feeling pain in my upper part of my stomach right behind my chest With shortness in breathing. I never had these symptoms before. The only thing i was suffering from is digesting probs which happen once in a while. The endoscopy results show that i have hernia. I really regret doing endoscopy i was all fine.

The question i have is whether these complications are normal after endoscopy or did my stomach got infected? I have online that these things could happen but none mentioned what to do if you experience this

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Yes this is quite normal though it doesn't happen to everybody. (I'm a former nurse btw.) It won't be due to an infection, just the various manipulations that were done during the endoscopy. It's highly unlikely you have suffered any permanent damage.

If the pain suddenly get worse, or if you start to have black, sticky diarrhoea resembling tar, then you should see a doctor immediately. However, if the latter hasn't started within a couple of days of the procedure there's very little possibility it will start now.

• Posted

Hello lily

Thank you for your response

Is it possible that endoscopy might cause hiatal hernia? Because i started developing hiatal hernia symptoms right after endoscopy. It has been a week now

Thank u

• Posted

Hi Alid, I wouldn't have thought that the endoscopy would have caused the hiatal hernia, or even made it worse. This is caused by a weakness in the diaphragm, and I don't see how passage of an endoscope could have affected the diaphragm in any way.

However, some people do experience quite a lot of symptoms after endoscopy (of either end of the digestive tract) when it's been carried out under sedation. I'm sure your symptoms will subside if you give it another week or so. If they still haven't after that time, or if they suddenly get very much worse, you should see your doctor. The response to this may well be to suggest a further endoscopy. If this is the case, I would strongly suggest that you opt either for a full GA (if possible) or just throat spray if you can bear it. I'm afraid it's so-called "conscious sedation" that's at the root of many temporary post-endoscopy problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.