New symptoms, not sure what to think of it

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've had headaches and migraines my entire life. Started having occasional episodes of passing out since 4th grade. Pituitary tumor found at age 16. Doctors have blown off my issues constantly ever since. I'm now 33, had tubes tied after having my second kid. Usually my periods have always been extremely heavy and occasionally skipped an entire month here and there. Now for 2 months I have barely bled. Just enough for me to toss a pad on but not enough at all to even call a period by any standard. It does this barely spotting routine of dark blood for about a week and a half then goes away. I've noticed my clothes being big on me. Weighed myself and have lost 15 pounds in about a month and a half to two months. I'm not trying to lose weight at all. I've been an Lpn for 9 years and am in RN school now. I am not stressed anymore now than normal. School is going good. I still have the same appetite and eat and drink the same stuff I always have with a little more fast food added into the mix due to less time some days between work and school. Any ideas what could be going on? Anyone else experience this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

normally I would say your lucky to have lost 15 pounds

but with your other symptoms, it could

definitely be something.

the only thing I can think of right now

is hypopituitarism

it can definitely be because of a pituitary tumor

and it can cause weight loss

Did you already get the first tumor out

tumors can also grow back

I guess they are sort of like weeds

check your cortisol level

if low , then check acth level

if low or normal then it is usually

hypopituitarism

the other one is called Addisons

that is low cortisol, high acth

• Posted

No my tumor has never been removed. I've spent my whole life trying to find a doctor that cares and listens with no luck. I need to get my blood work done. I'm supposed to have blood work every 6 months to check all of the hormones and an MRI every year. First time I've ever dealt with these symptoms though and the weight loss has me a bit happy yet very concerned. I noticed my clothes falling off of me and clinical scrubs getting huge all of the sudden recently. That's why I weighed myself today and was shocked at the numbers. Thank you 

• Posted

As a medic, you will know that any kind of op is risky - even though pituitary surgery nowadays is not a major op, So no-one will operate on your adenoma unless it threatens your sight or is seriously affecting your hormone balance (hypo or hyper)--nor would you want it. Pituitary adenomas are almost always benign. 

But sudden weight loss (or gain) for no obvious reason needs to be explained so you do need to see a doctor to investigate.

• Posted

I can't believe that they found a pituitary tumor and never did anything.

of course theh would think it is benign, no big deal right?

I don't believe it.

what you really need to do is collect your paperwork, results, lab work

and send it to a pituitary specialty hospital

that provides second opinions

it will cost about 800$ US

there is UCSF and Massachusetts General (Harvard )

also provides second opinions

• Posted

hi Amber

I really hope you can get a second opinion

I think it will really help you

It is great your still able to have a normal career

but if you can get your cortisol tested

that is a place to start

plasma cortisol can tell you a lot.

there is also salivary cortisol.

doctors are probably going to test your tsh and

thyroid hormones and might think you have

hyperthyroidism

the thing is you don't want to take yhyroid medications

if you have an overactive pituitary tumor

hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.