New tinnitus sufferer

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

Really hoping you can give me some advice please.

My wife was recently prescribed HRT medication and after taking the drug for a short period now has tinnitus. 21 years ago she suffered similarly and was successfully medicated. We think it was the drug Nortriptyline but unfortunately her medical records from that era have not survived. She has today consulted her GP who frankly seemed to have no idea of how to help her. She mentioned that she thought she had been successfully treated with Nortryptoline and she has now been prescribed this. However, we are still concerned as to whether this treatment is appropriate at this stage and do not wish to inadvertently make things worse. She is not severely depressed but is suffering anxiety as a result of prolonged menopausal issues and now tinnitus. 

Would really appreciate the thoughts of anyone else, particularly those who have been prescribed Nortryptyline. We feel that after her taking HRT and only attaining a new ailment that we are lurching from one crisis to another and as the GP provided no real reassurance we would love to hear thoughts from others who suffer similarly.

I am absolutely desperate to help my wife so would very much appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks you so much in anticipation of your replies.

Paul

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

How kind of you to look into this on behalf of your wife.   I too am suffering from many menopause symptoms but do not want to take HRT as I fear worse consequences down the road.  My mother took the HRT medication and when she stopped still went through all the hot flashes etc.  She felt it just delayed it.  I am having some success with essential oils so will continue with those.

I developed tinnitus in January after a nasty flu.  Even though it’s Been 7 months I still have fluid in my ear that won’t drain.  My GP has referred me to an ENT but there is an 18 month wait. She feels tubes to drain my ear may help alleviate the tinnitus.  As months passed haven’t lessened the condition I worry I could have hearing loss as a result.  I do have some quieter days and I wish it would stay at that level.  Seems I get a quiet day every 3 noisy days.   It is very distracting- especially sleeping.  Background noise doesn’t help me much.  I often think the flu virus I had attacked my ears!  

I hope you are able to find some answers that will help your wife.  It doesn’t seem like the medical community knows how to treat tinnitus.

• Posted

Hi Paul, you are obviously a very caring husband as it is difficult for non tinnitus sufferers to appreciate just how debilitating this can be. I have suffered for the past 18 months and had all the test ie hearing, ct scan, mri and all are clear. I have been told that there is no cure so no medication is offered but learning to live with it is the only way forward. As with most other sufferers there are good and bad days, certainly anxiety is the worse culprit but also the most difficult to avoid. I try to be optimistic and find if life is not too troublesome then I feel OK. Worse is when other health problems arise as with your wife as it tends to build up a negative feeling, so if other issues can be sorted out then hopefully the tinnitus is something she can come to terms with. There are a number of suggestions for self help on the tinnitus web site.

All the best

Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.