new to 10mg citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi im 17 years old and the doctor has giving me 10mg citalopram foranxiety but after looking online I am wary of taking them due to the side effects I feel scared to take them becsuse of theese, can someone tell me what common symptoms for that dosage are

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Common side effects I mean x
  • Posted

Hi

side effects were never a big issue with me as they helped my depression so much.

However I would say only take them if you really feel you need to.

I have been on them 10 years now and really want to stop taking them, my memory has got terrible, I am pretty emotionless about big issues and have absolutely no sex drive, don't even want to be kissed! 

Although the doctors say you won't get addicted, you only have to read on here how difficult it is to come off them. I have tried a couple of times with no success and now wonder if taking them all those years ago was really worth it.

Good luck with your decision, do what you feel is right. 

• Posted

Hi,

I'm new to the drug, I've been on them for almost 4 weeks and I'm on 20th.  Side affects were not an issue for me and I can feel them working.  My anxiety had taken over my life and the citalopram is helping to get it back. I can't comment on things like sex drive yet but for me it's worth it. Good luck with what you decide to do

• Posted

Hi, I had bad side effects. You are so young can you discuss with your parents or a councillor. I would use as a last resort at your age, which I appreciate without knowing your circumstances, this may be a last resort.  My dad passed away and I am not coping, was prescribed these but only lasted 4 days I was so sick, and opted for councelling and exercise, healthy eating and a sleeping pill every second night to stop the nightmares I have. Life is tough some times and if you can avoid drugs I would. Good luck x
  • Posted

Dear Kirsty

Side effects vary a great deal from person to person including their severity.  Try not to focus on 'expecting' side effects otherwise your existing anxiety issues will create symptoms for you that may not have been that severe otherwise. It's the nature of being stressed and worrying.  Read the packet the meds come in, there should be a leaflet with it that lists possible side effects, although only a few will be experienced and then only by some people not by others.  At their best SSRI medications are a life saver but they don't work for everyone.  I suggest you start the course as prescribed and if you have any bad effects, revisit your doctor who can advise you on next steps.  Do try not to dwell on 'what if' as that's the root symptom of anxiety and tends to overcome us and stop us from doing things that help.  I cannot stress highly enough how getting into the habit of doing something physical, like regular low impact exercise (walking, swimming, cycling, etc) will do wonders for anxiety issues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.