New to a Hiatal Hernia and I think I am going crazy

Posted , 10 users are following.

Brief History

I had started getting symtopms about 4 years ago which all started with coffee which would give me a very full and bloated feeling when I drank it (I dont drink it anymore) from that I would also get a feeling of a lump in my throat. I started having stiffness in my neck. That's how is started....over the years until now my symtopms would be all over the place. I just recently got diagnopsed with a Hiatal Hernia FINALLY!!! I had a reason to my symptoms. Problem is that throughout the years I developed anxiety from my sympotoms, I cant tell you how many times I was in the E.R. thinking I was having a heart attack. I had multiple EKG's done and all came back normal (Doctors always preceeded asking me "Do you have anxiety?"wink I would laugh and admit it, but I am not characterized by this at all.

I have been to so many different Doctors over the years and everything comes back normal so..... unfortunatly while I finally know what I have I am left with anxiety. Every little thing I feel I start to freak out! I can't help it. On top of that everything is in my chest. I get weird aches and pains, burning feelings here and there (nothing major, but enough to freak me out) sometimes I get pains in my shoulders and I freak out, or I get a pain on my chest (which usually feels surface level) and I freak out. I can't tell the difference between anxiety and the real thing.

I have learned that this Hiatal Hernia sucks really back and because of what it does in my chest just make it worse. I promise the pain has never been major, its just enough to pester my mind and keep it on high alert

This is what I want to know

Am I the only one? Am I normal? lol

I just want to hear others who have and are going through the same thing.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I think getting your anxiety under control should be your major goal. My son has a high level of anxiety and before he wss treated, he thought he had countless medical problems. Now that he's had treatment (the most successful is CBT, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) he is much, much better. Hopefully you will be able to recognize your aches and pains as just annoying symptoms of HH, and push them to the back of your mind. However, if the symptoms are in the intolerable category, you should pursue a surgical solution, but in either case, definitely get your anxiety under control.

Good luck

• Posted

Hiya

You are normal. I have a HH diagnosed 5 years ago. Been to A and E a few times because of pain. It will cause you anxiety as it does feel similar to a heart attack even the doctor told me this. I get chest pain, shoulder pain, neck pain, burning etc. I also had every test you can think of. I started to keep a food diary to see what foods upset my hernia and this helped a lot. Also I have accepted if it was my heart I would be very ill by now. I breathe through the attacks now and try to distract myself. Do not be so hard on yourself. Have you tried seeing a counsellor for the anxiety it may help you cope better when you get the HH attacks. I had some counselling and it helped me to cope better with the pains etc.  Finding a good doctor also helps , took me a while to find a doctor who understood. You are normal,  it is just hard to cope with the symptoms. I hope things improve for you. 

• Posted

Maggie, I should have mentioned that I have HH, big time. I wouldn't be on this forum if not. I have had near constant chest pain that radiates along my throat and sometimes involves the outer ear since 1994, and less frequently back pain. The symptoms are generally in the mild category, but become severe upon prolonged sitting.

Before HH was diagnosed, on two occasions I was sent from the ER to intensive care for possible heart attacks. Believe me, I know HH, it is a constant unwanted visitor. But now I have peace-of-mind that the symptoms are not serious, and I can tolerate them, but if they start becoming intolerable, I'll opt for the surgery in a heartbeat.

I hope you can also get to the peace-of-mind stage. If not, and it continues to affect your quality of life, and wellbeing, go for the surgery.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi

I also had many visits to the ER and countless tests done. I had heart palps. High blood pressure., shaky, tingling of the face , upper back and arm. .... i was diagnosed with a HH a year ago. 

I become anxiety ridden during these episodes..and when any wierd feeling starts to happen.  I normally do not suffer from anxiety. I went to mental health and they said i cant give you a diagnosis but your welcome back any time.

I stay away from caffeine, chocolate, onions and spicy food. I do self talk abd pray when symptoms happen.  Mylanta helps me because I burp and that relieves the pressure and the symptoms subside.

My symptoms began after I was taking ativan for sleep. Im dont know if that messed up my CNS or if I had the HH then.

You are not crazy, dont listen to anyone who tells you  you are.  Everyone is differnt.  Take some deep breaths and stay positive.

• Posted

Thanks so much for all your comments. It truly makes me feel better. In readying more posts here I can see there are so many who are just like me. Reading the posts help my anxiety.
    • Posted

I have a hh/gerd get all those symptoms chest pain/throat pain, heart palps - scary pain in back/shoulder.  Mine is said to be small - god help me when it gets big.

• Posted

Last year diagnosed with a medium sliding HH when prepare for gallbladder operation. Since then, everyday I will get heartburn, pain in chest even i take ppi medicine, still hv those sick. This month i will go for another Endoscopy check before i decide to do operation repair it.
    • Posted

I have the same it seems

I do have a problem that I've seen mentioned a couple of times but I don't know what to do.

I get episodes where I can't burp. It's miserable. I should know better than to eat large bites and esp food that is spicy or super fattening

I'm so miserable. I hate taking Alka Seltzer due to sodium content plus too much aspirin

I am diagnosed with Hashimoto's as well. Have had major anxiety lately. Anyone think anxiety can exacerbate symptoms ie...unable to burp? thank you

• Posted

hi I was diagnosed with Hiatus Hernia 2weeks ago i am also struggling to cope. i have stomach pain chest pain that goes up into my shoulder. its great to know what it is but how do you cope what do you have to do to get rid of these pains nobody tells you anything.

• Posted

You...are....human. Everything that you just described, is what i have been suffering from. I have health anxiety. Any little tingle or itch or pain or nothing, can send my mind into a world of anxiousness. Sometimes i feel like i cant control the thoughts of thinking that something major is wrong. Sometimes even feeling things that probably arent there. My anxiety has gotten so bad to where i have gotten something called, "idiopathic itch". Which basically means, your so anxious and worried and afraid to where your brain chemicals change dramatically. Leading to an itch for absolutely no reason. Its random itching all over. The longest ive had it was about 3 weeks. Mental health is so super important. Anxiety, depression, PTSD etc. is hard beyond words. I really hope that wr can find some TRUE and HONEST support and help. As far as hiatal hernias go, i have one. i was diagnosed about 4 months ago, along with gastritis, and esophagitis. i get shoulder, arm/armpit, chest, throat, back, and stomach pains. Its no fun and the Omeprazole was way too strong so im stuck trying to figure out what to take.

• Posted

i have the same as you, the health anxiety. i just got diagnosed with HH from endoscopy and they said they saw minor changes not sure what- in my stomach and esophageal juncture. recovering from endo was bad- trouble breathing and painful when swallowing where they took biopsy samples. i am on PPI but not really sure how they are helping me. how did you get diagnosed?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.