New to acid reflux symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

Dear fellow sufferers,

MY issues seemed to start with a nasty productive viral cough about eleven weeks ago, then over the last 2 weeks I have had chest pain, acid reflux and mild regurgitation which have, so far not responded to PPIs starting with Omeprazole then switching to Lansoprazole 30 mg once daily. symptoms are definitely worse in the evening and overnight, and in spite of taking all of the usual measures, not eating for at least 3 hours before bed, raising head and chest above feet in bed, the nightimes are dreadful.

My GP feels I have a severe oesophagitis triggered by the cough i had a few weeks ago. does anyone have a feel for how long it should take before i get some sort of relief? i have to say that i have the occasional day where i think i am turning a corner, then the symptoms return with a vengeance.

Grateful for any help and advice.

Joanne

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Buy the Acid Watcher Diet book by dr. Aviv. You will find all the explanations there. Facebook support groups are useful at the beginning then it might just create more anxiety. Discuss with your doctor about it. Ask for a referral to ENT, gastroenterology and pulmonary diseases. Treat it seriously. The GP dont know much about this disease. The healing takes time. Expect months. Some people get better some don't. Stay mentally strong and be prepared to fight this.

• Posted

Ah.... One more thing. Google "LPR NHS" you will find a lot of official information there as well.

• Posted

That's exactly how mine started, was I'll for 6 weeks constant tickley cough had bloods ,xray, eveything cam back normal , i coughed so much hurt my ribs.I was already on lansoparazole they put my dosage up to 60mg and take gavascon advance after meals and before bed , things have improved but not 100% but a lot better hop this helps.

• Posted

Thank you Gill, I'm currently only prescribed 30 mg Lansoprazole and mornings aren't too bad but the acid and feeling of some regurgitation builds towards the end of the day, with nighttime being particularly bad. Did you have an endoscopy? How long have you had this now?

Best wishes

Joanne

• Posted

I've suffered for years with reflux ,some time ago I had pain in my teeth ringing in ears pain back of throat,had a camara up my nose and down back of throat it showed nothing,but was advised then to increase lansoparazole and take gavascon advance it settled down and then I the reduced dose again .

• Posted

my dose normally is 15gm and I take 10 gm citalopram for anxiety

• Edited

Mine also began after a bad cold with a cough, but I didn't realize what was happening for months later as it took that long for me to realize that it wasn't allergies. And my biggest symptom is still coughing. Mostly in the morning, after heavy laughing, a little at night at bedtime, and a little after eating sometimes.

I'm doing much better than I was since I was at my worst in June. But I seem to have somewhat stagnated in my recovery, so I'm back to doing more research.

But what did help was reading from a website called refluxgate.come

I learned a lot from there, including how PPI's rarely help with lpr, because the coughing is caused by the fumes created from the acid that then irritate the lungs. I also learned about pepsin and its dangers if it lingers in the esophagus from the acid backing up into the esophagus. That site explains it much better and you might want to take a look at it.

What seems to help me the most is the combination of A) several hours of moderate to vigorous activity. i.e. I tend to do a lot better after a day at work where I work in laundry at the hospital and have a lot of physical activity. Or if I walk over 2 miles at a moderate to fast pace. Or if I have a spring cleaning day at home. Or if I do some kickboxing, as long as it's at least 2 hours after I've eaten. And B) eating smaller meals, more often if necessary. But smaller meals really seems to make a difference. It's challenging though since my stomach has gotten used to larger portions, so it takes more to make me feel like I'm not hungry anymore. But I'm learning. I try to remember that our stomach is supposed to be only about the size of our fist. And C) The Gaviscon Advance helps when used properly. This has also been challenging because you want to take it about half hour after eating, and then avoid eating or drinking afterwards for a couple of hours if possible. When I've been able to do that, I feel pretty good. But that means that I have to remember to drink plenty of water before my meal to get myself hydrated well so that I don't get dehydrated during the 2 to 4 hours after taking the gaviscon advance.

Anyway, we're all different and it's a process. Including finding which are your trigger foods and which ones help you. I don't have an issue with fresh citrus fruit, but spicy foods/peppers and chili powder are huge triggers for me. And some of the healing foods like bananas and oatmeal really help alot. As well as yams and sweet potatoes.

I also bought some high alkaline water to help neutralize the pepsin in my throat. I tried drinking it some too to see if that helped, but I haven't noticed any difference. So I just take a few swigs to coat my throat and neutralize the pepsin whenever I've had anything acidic to eat or drink.

Just a few of my experiences. Hope that helps. Good luck and let us know what works for you once you've had a chance to experience more. Thanks.

Irene

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.