New to AF, 53 yrs and healthy!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone. I had an experience a few years ago of AF but didn't recognise it and it righted itself. Two months ago I had a second experience which took me to A&E so was diagnosed this time. I awoke in middle of night with irregular and racing beat. It was beating between 70 and 215 and irregular.  At Hospital, they gave me fleccamide through a canular which got me back to normal. I am now on daily bisoprolol and have had a 48 hr monitor, am going for a ultrasound next week and an apt in March to bring all results together.

i am very healthy, non smoker, non drinker and exersize well, so don't know why this is happening? I still get heart flutters each day, mostly felt in my throat area and those of a few seconds long, in my heart too. Anyone else in similar situation? I had just finished a course of naproxen anti inflammatory  but doctors don't see that they caused it. Would love to hear from someone who's case is similar to mine. Doctor thinks as I get older the chances are that my AF will increase and then eventually won't revert, but why? I am very healthy and hate taking a beta blocker each day. Thanks for any replies to my story.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Katers, I too had Paroxysmal AF 8 years ago, I woke up with it and carried on getting ready for work, had a shower, got to work and I had a terrible headache and didn't feel right at all. I checked my blood pressure and it would not register due to thie irregular beats which were in excess of 150 per minute. I phoned the surgery, the did an ECG and sent me off to the hospital and they were going to give me something to slow it down but when they did the blood test it righted itself after many hours of being at the hospital. I had the odd flutter for the next 6 years and it went fast a few times but nothing alarming and then again, two years ago I woke with it and had to go to the doctors who gave me a bisprolol and said in half an hour it should be back to normal and about 45 minutes later it was. They have reccommended Warfarin which I need to discuss with them but still get the flutters throughout the day. I don't smoke, rarely drink, I have Type 2 Diabetes which apparently means I am 40% more likely to get AF so that highers the risk but it is under control I have lost over 2 stone and exercise regularly so it really seems to be luck of the draw. My brother has something similar and they reckon it can be hereditary. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hey mazieboo thanks for the reply. It is good to know that someone has had a similar experience as myself. Doc this morning at check up, said to keep taking the bisoprolol at least until my appt in March so guess I will have to. It is strange that people so healthy can suddenly get this. I know of no trigger points as yet! Keep in touch!
    • Posted

Hi Katers, it is good to know you are not alone, I felt like that until I joined this forum and you realise there are so many people with this. I am in my fifties like you and you imagine it is much older people that get it but i would have been in fourties when it started or even earlier but not noticed till it was a bad episode. Good luck for March and let me know how you go on xx
  • Posted

It happened the same to me 216 heart beat cardioverted with Flecainide now on Afib with Bisoprolol 2.5 and Flecainide 100mg x2 tabs.

Afib its very common I never drinked or smoked I was doing boxing and training that's how it come up. The best thing its to controlling it through diet boiling vegetable add olive oil mixing brown pasta ,avocado ,dinking juice like raspberry ,blueberry ,cranberry keep clean as moutch is possible you'll see the difference in heart beat and sleeping basically get maniac in cleaning your system will result in plenty benefit for your heart too.

Forget the ☕coffie coke and other nonsense avoid chocolate but not exlude it drink plenty water too.

I think you get my point flecainide killing rats just google it if you do not believe me.

If you going for a Cateter ablation and even better a Cryo do not forget to as the Electrofisiologist his personal success rate you'll see he will talk about in general but never about himself.☺ hope I did help if you need more help send me a message I will send you my number so wee can talk take care.

• Posted

Thank you max, yes it is good to keep your body healthy
  • Posted

HI Katers

I was diagnosed last year - cardiologist said sometime they dont know why some people get AF - my scan was absolutely fine no obvious reason why.  I dont like taking pills either but I suppose if taking a couple of pills means we can get on with our life its got to be worth it.  Im not a smoker either although I could do with losing a bit of weight!!.  I find this forum very helpful - its good to know you are not on your own and everyone has been very kind.  Take care and hope all goes well in March.

• Posted

thanks sylvester, yes and let's all keep in touch!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.