New to AF, is this classed as AF or something different

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, since being diagnosed a couple of weeks ago I seem to be having more episodes than ever or perhaps I just notice them more.  I have the usual fast heart beat with a pain across chest, but have noticed lots of fluttering type feelings all over chest and to be honest all through my body it seems in time with my heart beat. I feel very very dizzy/whoozy and a little nauseous.  I am on blood thinners for DVT I had a christmas and took 20mg propanol today which did not help.  Cardio said it not bad AF and I should not bother with beta blockers, but felt awful today to did try one. I had some from previous attempts at diagnosing palps.  I feel very tired and worn out with all the palps and want to understand how to help myself not focus on them so much.  I have noticed since AF diagnosed that I have a really grumbling stomach and wind (sorry) not sure if that is causing AF as I do have GERD.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi there glad you joined this forum. A lot of a fibers on this board can tell you they believe gerd, stomach, food sensitivities, stress and the vagus nerve are all intertwined and cause most of our problems. I myself started last November on the FODMAP diet to help with symptoms and to stabilize my episodes. It has been an absolute godsend and I truly believe there should be more studies regarding food and A Fib. Check out the diet that Stanford hospital and clinics has posted. You may find some relief with it. Take care.
    • Posted

Hi Sandi, I told my cardiologist that my episodes were usually straight after my evening meal whilst sitting down quietly, he then said "good to know" as food is directly related, he then went on to explain about vagus nerve etc, which stopped me panicking so much.  Yesterday I seem to have it on and off all day.  I will look at the FODMAP diet because my GERD is playing up at present, so probably all connected.  I am just finding it hard to ignore, but yesterday did what cardio said, which was, to find my pulse, close my eyes and go with the rythm, which did help.  I hate the thought that it will only get worse, but if I can find a diet that helps then I am more than willing to give it a go.  Thanks.

• Posted

Wow that's great your doctor recognises the food connection and the vagus nerve. He sounds like a keeper lol. Haha I went off my diet this weekend for my birthday and I'm paying the price today. Sooo many heavy palpitations ugh. I guess I better smarten up wink

• Posted

Happy belated birthday, you are allowed to be naughty occasionally. I have just eaten a mini magnum, so no hope there either.  I must admit the cardio was absolutely fab and cross that it had not been picked up before as I have had lots of ECG's and tests.  He said the treatment is blood thinners which I am for a few months yet anyway, but just said "go away and get on with life" as it will not kill you.  He said the treatment is worse than the symptoms unless you are really severe which I am not, just have to try to ignore it when it happens, which is where I am struggling some times. I have taken magnesium for the everyday palps, which helped, but it's when I get the really fast, banging painful ones that I hate and are quite frightening.  Enjoy the rest of your day.

• Posted

Its very difficult in the begining to think about anything else as you say the palps are so tiring, I usually find a brisk walk or deep breathing exercises helps a bit. but Sandi is right Almost all of us have problems with acid reflux and vagus nerve its about finding the trigger and staying away from it.

take care L.

• Posted

Hi, as mentioned to Sandi my cardio said there was a definite link, I will work on finding out what causes it for me, now that I know other people also have GERD.  After posting yesterday I calmed myself down and got on with things and it did help.  Thanks
  • Posted

For me, the dizziness and nausea was usually a sign I was going to make. When that happens try to lie down right away. Also some of your other symptoms may we caused by the meds. Praying for u to get relief
    • Posted

I meant was going to FAINT. Sorry
    • Posted

Hi, I am lucky I have not fully fainted as yet, I just get the horrible dizzy spells and feel like I am trembling, which is so weird.  I am glad to know it is not just me with these weird symptoms.  Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.