New to Alexithymia

Posted , 2 users are following.

I recently discovered that I may have Alexithymia through an online test. Is it possible to change? My partner gets angry & upset with me. I really want to improve but I think it will take time. Has anyone got better or is it just about pretending (assuming it’s possible to do that long term). Thank you for any help. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I think the first thing to do is see a counsellor and get a proper diagnosis.  You can't rely totally on an online test for this.

I never knew there was such a thing as Alexithymia but have realised this also describes me as well.  I can't deal with emotionally close relationships and I have never been married or even lived with a partner.  I am going to look for that test now and do it myself. I hope you find some answers.  x

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. It does seem to be close relationships that I have a problem with. Good luck with the test. 
  • Posted

Hi I did the test and I came out with a very high score.  Oh dear x
  • Posted

Hi I did the test and I came out with a very high score.  Oh dear x
    • Posted

😏 sorry to hear that.........takes a bit of coming to terms with. Not sure I have yet!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.