New to all this! A few questions..

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, having only just been diagnosed I've already got so many tips and information on how best to manage from this forum so thank you! I just have some questions.

I have a tear at 6'oclock at the entrance to the vagina, I think on the fourchette? The skin is a little white around the tear. I honestly don't know how long I've had the tear. It never seems to heal. I think it gets aggravated by intercourse and even tampon use. Does anyone know how I can heal this tear? I apply the steroid cream to this area. Will the steroid help to heal the skin? I'm only 24 and in a relationship so I'm having regular sex. Haven't had intercourse since been diagnosed though as I'm scared to make it worse.

Second question is roughly how long until the white patches disappear? Is it different for everyone?

Dani xx

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dani 

When i had a tear and a blister my gp recommended i had 2 weeks of salt (normal table salt) baths. In this instance i do not think keeping it moist helps.  The salt helps heal wounds.  Good luck

• Posted

Hi Dani. I would not have sex until this has healed up as I think you will just make things worst down there.  I would always use Lube before sex as well if you can...just to be on the safe side!  I like the idea of salt baths, I think in your shoes I would have two a day and then use a hairdryer afterwards to make sure that it is absolutely super dry, as I think it might speed up the healing..

It might be an idea not to use tampons for a while..sorry your having to go through this at such a young age! 

• Posted

Abstain from sex and tampon use until its gone. I had multiple tears and no matter what I did or used it was horrific and literally letting it heal was the only thing that gave me any relief. It took about a week or two on steroids for that to happen. I was diagnosed in November and been on treatment since, and I still have the white areas so I'm not sure, I've been wondering too. I'm jusr so thankful not to have the tears at this point as that pain was worth than my labors.
  • Posted

My experience is that the pain was caused by the fusions.  Once the fusions were solved and away the pain was gone.  Question is of course: How to get the fusions to disappear?  

Instead of salt, I am using baking soda/bicarbonate soda rinses (three pinches in a spray bottle, the kind women receive in the hospital after giving birth) after every bathroom visit.  In addition to that - baking soda baths (1/3 cup) every other day. 

And with that an alkaline diet (no gluten, no dairy, no sugar, no alcohol, no caffeine, careful with soya.)  

Fusions are gone now, intercourse in a gentle manner possible again. 

All I do is labour intensive, but hey, it works.  

Questions - just ask. 

• Posted

The vulval skin or mucosa is the same as in your mouth. normally cuts would heal within 5 days- however if there is scar tissue or inflammation this will have a delaying effect on the healing process. The surface of wounds need to be slightly moist to allow the movement of the "healing cells" in the body to move around  and thus promote healing, If the wound is dry then the process is delayed and scabs can form  (which may not be  not ideal as they can hide infection underneath) However you should not have a soggy wound as that is even worse, so it is a delicate matter to get the healing conditions just right in a very difficult area!

Salt baths are slighty antiseptic and mimic the salinity of the body so will not sting open wounds

"home-made" saline : this is made by dissolving approximately half a teaspoon of table salt into 240ml (approx. 8 ounces) of clean tap water.

The use of soda bicarb, which is alkaline, is to reduce the slight acidity of the area and thus reduce the burning sensation - and Hanny  is certain it helped her to unfuse  her labia

Every one has different bodies and healing processes so it isnt possible to be more than vague, the whiteness around the tear is likely to be scar tissue so that needs to be checked regularly - use you steroid on the white patches - perhaps using a cotton bud to get to the wound edges. Try not to have penetrative sex for the time being- friction isnt good for healing wounds, use tampons, if you can insert them without damaging the wound further. Try and keep the mentral fluid off the area as blood can have an ascoriating affect on open wounds

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.