New to Amitriptyline

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ive just been prescribed 10mg to take in the evening, just before bed. It has been giving to help me with various pain issues. 

Ive now been on it for 1 week and its leaving me feeling weird. I am really struggling to sleep with it, very restless. When i do doze off i am struggling to get out of bed in the morning, when i do i feel really lethargic, almost like there is no strength in me, my legs feel week and i feel cloudy, tired. As i said its the first time ive had this medication, so I am unsure if these are typical symptons? Any general feedback would be very much appreciated.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rossa,

I have been on it 3 weeks now...first week I was so tired especially in the afternoon.  I too am on 10mgs at night before bed.  someone said if you are struggling to get up in the morning maybe try taking it with Dinner instead to give you a few extra hours on the morning side.

do a google search for side effects and see if yours are in there and maybe speak to your Dr if you feel the effects are too much for you

• Posted

Kazled and rossa

Try takeing this medication about a half hour or so before bed, they will help you sleep.

BOB

• Posted

rossa

This drug is given to reduce nerve and tendon pain, it is a Anti Depressent, the nerve pain reduction is a useful contrindication of this medication

You are on a very low dose of this drug, I take 75mg and have taken them since been seen by pain clinic

All I can really say with the contrindications is you will get contraindications for upwards of five weeks, you may have the drug increased a little after your body gets used to the drug. There are newer types of medication that can help although generally the contraindications will be the same.

Give the chance for the drug to work, it has been a life changer for me in the reduction of some symptoms

Keep a hold

BOB

• Posted

What time do you take your medication in the evening.

I take mine at 7pm & go to bed at between 10pm - 10.30pm. I wake up fine.

The symptoms you are experiencing are typical when you first start taking amitriptyline.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.