New to Amitriptyline , any advice would be greatly appreciated

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there,

For the past 8 months I have been suffering from depression and obsessive thoughts to the point I cannot function properly. My doc diagnosed me with obsessive compulsive personality disorder and depression and put me on 200mg fluvoxamine + 30mg mirtazapine. I haven't seen much of a difference (very slight improvement only) so my doc has now decided to slowly wean me off from the fluvoxamine and slowly put me on amitriptyline. Has anyone used it for depression and OCPD with good results? I am a bit scared of trying a new med but honestly I am losing hope and my last chance is for amitr to work. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated... 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I take this drug for nerve damage, I also take AD medications and this is also an AD. I would advise you take this drug a half hour before bed. It will help you sleep. Take in during the day and it may make you feel tired.

My medication was set at 75mg  and I reduced it to 50mg, all was ok.

You know where we are if needed 

BOB

• Posted

Hi Pete,

I have been on Amitryptilin for 3 years for nerve damage, post shingles on the face. I started at 30mg, increasing to 40mg. Recently my doc increased it to 50mg to help Neuropathy of the feet. I have never had any problems taking it. I understand that acdose for depression could be as much as 150mg. Good luck

Geoff

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.