New to Amlodipine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, was pescribed these by my doctor have only taken two tablets . Feel awful ,hot flushes,headache,general feeling of unwell .Rang pharmacy she suggested I replace with a different tablet so hopefully can get something else . Was on Ramipril but Doc changed as I have kidney problems .

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

What did your doctor prescribe as replacement for Amlodipine?

It's hard to believe how many people have severe reactions to this drug.

• Posted

I havennt been to get a replacement yet as docs not open on Saturdays 
  • Posted

Maggie, some doctors would say that any side effects noticed wthin just a couple of days of starting any medication will probably settle down once your body gets used to the drug.  However, as far as Amlodipine is concerned, many of us have found the side effects bad enough to affect our quality of life.  Some people seem to be able to tolerate it without side effects but if you read all the discussions on here, you will see that they may be in the minority.

Like you, I have kidney problems (CKD3) and treating my blood pressure has become the doctors' worst nightmare due to my body's extreme sensitivity to all the pills tried so far, with one really hammering my kidney function.  The only pill out of half I dozen that I seem to be tolerating well well is Losartan which I have been on for some 12 months but unfortunately it isn't having any effect on my high BP.  The renal consultant is now trying me on a very small dose of a beta blocker, Bisoprolol, and after 10 days, there is definitely an improvement in my blood pressure.  It is affecting my legs, making them feel heavy, but I will see how that goes for the next couple of weeks and then have blood tests to monitor my kidney function.

If your side effects don't resolve in the next week or so, then do return to your GP and ask to be switched to another pill.

• Posted

maggie76424...Don't be surprised if your GP tells you that you MUST at least

give the medication a chance. 2 Tablets is not enough to judge it. I'm sure you 

must have read Mrs0's reply...I totally agree with her.

• Posted

Hi Mike , my pharmacist told me to stop these tablets immediatly as I look and feel so unwell .She told me to go back to Ramipril tablets until I can see my Doc on Monday .
  • Posted

Hi Maggie,

I am on Losarton which has caused no problems.I have been on the dreaded A also Lisinopril. Generally Losarton does not seem to cause as many problems as other drugs. Let us know what you are given, I too have kidney problems.

• Posted

Different doctor said I was wise to stop taking the Amlodiphine and I have been put back on Ramipril for the moment . However they have schedulded a kidney scan as as possible for me .
    • Posted

Maggie, I hope you have started to feel better now you are off the Amlodipine.

The probable reason your GP is referring you for a kidney scan is to ensure that you don't have any sign of renal artery stenosis (narrowing of the arteries going to the both kidneys) as ACE inhibitors such as Ramipril are contra-indicated in such cases.

• Posted

I actually have a stent in place as I only have low percent function in one of my kidneys I do think that is what my doc is concerned about .Yes starting to feel better thank you amazing how ill one could feel by just taking two tablets .
    • Posted

It's good that your GP is monitoring you well.  Hope your other kidney is working well.
    • Posted

Thank you MrsO unfortunatly no my other kidney is not so good either but thats another story .I seem to be feeling a bit more normal today would never ever touch A tablets again to me they are evil lol.

• Posted

Maggie, it's amazing how different all our bodies are when faced with medicating them, especially with BP meds it seems (well, in my case certainly!).  I know several people on Amlodipine with no apparent side effects;  hubby is one (having been on it or several years), plus a neighbour, and a friend.  However, hubby did suddenly collapse with total heart block some 18 months ago, recovering with an immediate op for a pacemaker.  Neighbour now has serious heart problem and has just received a pacemaker.    Coincidence? Amlodipine?   I guess we'll never know. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.