New to Anxiety.. Will I ever be ok to drink at least some Caffeine?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 26 years old and I tried a new weight loss supplement that I realize now I didn't need. I was just wanting to shed some extra weight even though I was only 105lbs. I took Lipo6Rx which basically had like over 350mg of caffeine and other herb blends and it was one pill and it sent me to the ER. That was 3 months ago. Ever since then I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and was given Clonazepam which made me suicidal so I discontinued it and have been trying to be as healthy as possible. I've only had 1 panic attack since then but my face is numb constantly and my eyes have been achy and my vision blurred since I did also have depersonalization. Thankfully it is slowly going away except for the numbness. I've stopped drinking alcohol and caffeine for 3 months now. I've read all these blogs and articles on caffeine leading to anxiety. Will I ever be ok to drink 1 coke? Or do these articles refer to like having a 2L by yourself? I've avoided even chocolate because of the caffeine content. The therapist I saw said that I'm making caffeine my phobia when it has nothing to do with my symptoms. Can I drink a cup of coffee or is it too soon? Im not afraid of the panic attack since I know they don't last, I'm afraid of the aftershock that leaves me feeling exhausted and short of breath with blurry vision for a week after.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It would sound you have sensitised yourself to Caffiene  and you may find the odd mug of coffee should not be a problem. You could for a time drink De=cafe and see how you go. White chocolate I understand does not have caffienne in it so if you are careful in your own mind you should be all ok.

What would it do if I was to say you are getting better ??? A phobia I suppose you you to give it permission to go

B.

• Posted

I didnt mean it as in asking for permission to drink it. I also dont necessarily see it as a phobia. I'm associating rightfully that if the initial overload may have been the culprit that I dont send myself down that spiral again. I was the type of person that could drink a cup of coffee 5 minutes before bed and be fine. Since my eyes were greatly affected during the first panic attack (vision connected to amygdala I read) then I dont want to chance losing my vision again. But asking in case they're not related and I'm just creating a problem that doesnt exist. Seeing if anyone else had a similar experience. 

• Posted

I used to drink pop literally every single day. I never drank water.. Just sugary drinks along with coffee everyday.. Since my panic attacks and anxiety started last year, I was told my heartrate was a bit high ( now that I'm on meds it's ok) and was told to cut down caffeine.. I no longer allow myself anything except water and decaf tea. Personally, if I were to have a cup of coffee, my mind would take over and I would spend probably 2 or 3 days in a panic attack state of mind. If you can keep your panic attacks under control though, your body should have no real problem handling caffeine.

• Posted

See? that's what my fear is. I keep telling myself that if I was fine before then it shouldnt affect me now but I'm wondering if the onset of this changed me chemically to where my body couldn't handle it now. I'm slooooowly getting better and would hate myself if I took 3 steps back all because I miss coffee.

• Posted

Can you get decaf? I find even the decaf sometimes gets me hyper because of the sugary syrup they use in it (i go to Starbucks), but it's still tolerable. My friend has anxiety and drinks coffee multiple times a day.. All depends on your body and how it can tolerate it. Maybe drink half a cup and wait a few hours.. If you're still fine withing 2 or 3 hours and not panicky, you should be able to have a cup a day.

• Posted

you will be able to handle it again but first time you do go for 1/4 glass. No need to go all the way. Let yourself settle a bit and then re-introduce it in more digestible amounts smile Best day to introduce a nice small cup of coffee...when you have a cold or flu. Tried and tested. And I am VERY reactive to caffeine smile

• Posted

Ive had sips of my husbands fountain pepsi but then I'm analyzing my body too closely afterwards to see if there are any noticeable changes or if it's triggering anything. 

I'm also relating this to a previous diagnosis of Interstitial Cystitis (bladder problem) where I cut alcohol for 6 months to follow the recommended diet but then realized with or without I still felt the same so I went back to drinking and it went away on its own. 

Ive cut caffeine but my face is still numb and my vision still somewhat blurred so wondering what the point is.

• Posted

Caffeine is often very aggravating to anxiety sufferers. As are pseudoephedrines found in cough syrups and OTC cold&Flu tablets etc....no need to be phobic or obsessive about it but common sense that when you are already pumped up on adrenaline, no need to add fuel to the fire. Not sure why your therapist wouuld say caffeine has nothing to do with your symptoms - perhaps your overload was a trigger. As such it is rather noteworthy chemically speaking. Mine was trying to smoke a joint as a teenager....never been the same after it and sadly cannot peruse...ever. smile phobic - why not smile

• Posted

Every now and then i have some and im fine. Not during any heightened state though. There are those times when i have a lot to do and ill have a cup of coffee or chocolate. I use up the energy though.  overall i dont even want it and if im really tired i wont drink it. Tired and wired is a set up for an anxiety attack. There is caffiene in other drinks too and chocolate so...

i dont think you have a phobia you dont want a panic  attack and i dont blame you. Soda is poison. Its really pure poison and filled with sugar and chemicals theres never a need to drink that. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.