New To Catheterization & Have Concerns

Posted , 18 users are following.

I am considering having a TURP but want to try self catheterizing to see if I can postpone or avoid the TURP. I would appreciate any information as to what to expect, avoid and employ (size, shape, and brand of catheters) as well as any suggestions as to method of insertion (things to do and things to avoid doing).

I am scheduled to have my urologists nursing assistant show me how to insert a catheter in a week or so and would like to go into that session as informed as possible. I would greatly appreciate anyone who has had or is having catheter experience to share any words of wisdom with me.

Worried in Colorado

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Barry,

I was on catheters for over 10 months before my Rezum which successfully cleared my BPH blockage without any of the complications associated with TURP. After the 1st urologist I saw said that he only did TURP and old mono TURP at that which was at the absolute bottom of my list of BPH surgeries beccause of its' known morbidity and complications, I decided to see another urologist.

If you live in Colorado like I do, there are more options available to you in the metro-Denver area than just TURP. One of the urologists who has been doing Rezum the longest in the U.S. is located in the metro-Denver area. I had my Rezum done at Advanced Urology in Parker/Lone Tree. I would easily go back there again if I needed too. I cannot say that about the 1st urologist that I saw.

During the 10 months that I was self-cathing, I had the time to research the various BPH procedures that are available today and also research the various urologists in the metro-Denver area. If you live in Colorado, then you have a lot of options available to you. If the TURP that your current urologist does is the newer plasma/button TURP, then it is not as bad as the old mono TURP.

Still, I would not do plasma/button TURP when Rezum is available.

Good luck to you,

Steve

• Posted

Correction: One of the urologists who is among those doing Rezum the longest in the U.S. is located in the metro-Denver area.

• Posted

Can you please share the name of that Doc with me?

Thanks for all of the care and information.

Best,

Barry

• Posted

Why considering TURP ? Look into hoLEP, the best, or GL or bipolar TURP.

• Posted

HoLep is favoured as it save tissue if PC is a possibility. Apart from that I see no reason for GL to be inferior although mine only lasted nine years. I'm sure that some weeds grow more quickly than others.

RevoLix laser and the similar Thulium/Holmium I had last time also save tissue though my surgeon said it had taken over 3 1/2 hours compared to the hour my GL had taken. Its a long time to be out for 😃

• Posted

Thank you for this advice. Until yesterday I had never heard of these alternatives. I am researching them and am very thankful for the information this community has made me aware of.

MANY THANKS!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.