New to Citalopram

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello, I'm 23 years old, I've had anxiety for 12 years of my life. It was not as bad in school but when I left and I was in college it became debilitating due to a bout of depression. That's when I stopped walking to college and taking public transport. I don't go out unless I absolutely have to. I'd rather stay at home and play Xbox all day for the rest of my life. However I want a job to help my family out. I'm fed up of being a liability and a burden on my family. I tried CBT a few years ago. It sort of helped but I still never went out. I have got to the point where every time I get in a car I feel like my body is light and it sends me into a panic attack. My legs ache even though I haven't done any exercise and I asked my doctor yesterday if it could be a sign of MS however he did a few exercises with me like pushed against my leg and I was to pull the opposite way and he asserted me that I don't have MS. So it is either my anxiety creating these symptoms or maybe pinched nerves from the years of leaning forward staring at my computer screen. Either way I have no definitive answer. So anyway, I have been given Citalopram and some beta blockers. So naturally I came to the Internet to see what the affects are and what other people have said. Also read that Citalopram can cause sudden death and heart problems... so now I am freaking out about taking them :'( it says it is rare however I am probably one of the unlucky ones. I don't think I have any heart conditions, I went for a scan in January and the doctor said I had fluid around my heart, nothing to worry about however they wanted to do another scan, they didn't let me go to my local community hospital which I had my first scan at, they wanted me to go to Derby Hospital which is about 40 minutes away. Irritating because they keep saying at my GP "they don't do scans at the community hospital" which is clearly absolute BS! I don't plan on going for the scan because it's too far away and my family are busy with working and such. I didn't mean to tell my entire life story just needed to type it out so if anyone read this and anyone has been in my exact shoes they can explain how they got through it or anything. The main topic was about citalopram, because I am so God damn nervous about taking my first pill. I need a miracle...

1 like, 83 replies

83 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi daintonlee

I understand your anxiety in starting antidepressants. I was exactly the same. Citalopram can make you feel extra poorly for the first couple of weeks, so please be prepared for that. Hopefully you will be lucky and get no ad adverse side effects. (If you do get side effects, I promise you they will pass) once citalopram builds up and balances, you will start to feel so much better. It's not a quick fix and you will need to be patient with it. (Which is hard when you feel unwell) make sure you drink plenty of water and eat nutritional food. It will really help your recovery. Lastly citalopram get initially heighten anxiety, but again, it will pass.

Try not to worry and look at taking your AD as your first step to recovery.

We are all here for you ♥♥

• Posted

Much appreciated for the reply. Luckily I don't have to go anywhere the entire next week so I'm hoping if there are any side effects I won't be anywhere but my home. Do you take yours at night or in the morning?

Daint x

• Posted

Hi daint

I found it better to take around 9pm. Please let us know how you get on xx

• Posted

Hi

I've been taking citalopram for 9 weeks now and I feel so much better. I was constantly worried about everything was positive something bad was going to happen to me daily.

Yes I feel 100 times better now but you need to know that the first 2 weeks were not nice as the side effects seem to make you feel worse!

But good new is if you stick with these meds the side effects DO pass and you will gradually start to feel better day by day . These meds are not a quick fix but they do work over time.

Just ride with the side effects and you will get better. If I'm doubt post on here there are some great ppl going through or been through the same thing as yourself. It helps to chat.

Take care you will get better x

Debi x

Ps.., you for your scan it will settle you I'm sure from thinking the worst x

• Posted

The doctor said it gets worse before it gets better I just keep over thinking that I will have a breakdown and end up dribbling on myself in a corner ha, I just always think for the worst. Thanks for the reply and boost of confidence.

Daint x

• Posted

Debi,

I hope I have a positive experience like you are having soon. I was on 10 mg for 1 month and just finishing up the 2nd week on 20 mg. My moods are all over the place and I am tired, but can't sleep will. It will get better, right?

Sissy

• Posted

Hi sissy

I started on 20mg but I've read than an increase brings all the side effects back .

My first 2 weeks were very tough but you will get past the side effects so hang in there.

Not sleeping is a side effect I've still got unfortunately but I'm taking Sleepease from boots which help. Getting a good sleep makes all the difference to your day .

Chin up .

Debi x

• Posted

Daint I take mine first thing in the morning x
    • Posted

Also thanks for letting me know. I was thinking at night so I could maybe skip and sleep through the side effects. I will try mine tomorrow morning.

Daint x

• Posted

Remember if in doubt post on here .

This site helps me lots and I'm totally thankful to everyone for that.

So I'm happy to help others .

Just keep away from them corners 😜

X

• Posted

I experienced the worst bad side effects of celexa.  The difficulty time lasted about 6 months.  It is all over now.  This medicine eventually helped me.  
  • Edited

Hi Daintonlee

My son is nearly 22 and he had a melt down about 18 months ago.  He started on a different SSRI and it took him around 9 months to get back to his normal happy self again.

One thing I noticed with my son was that he played x-box a lot - this added to his stress.  Many people get very wound up playing x-box, and stress plays a huge part in your mental well being.  Also staring at a screen for hours a day is one of the worst things for you - it's adds to your stress.  Stress causes anxiety.

Play x-box, but take long breaks.  Read, take a little exercise - exercise helps burn excess adrenaline which causes anxiety.

This medication will help you - it'll help calm your anxiety in time.  It might get worse before it gets better, but stick with it, be determined, be patient, and in time you'll find yourself beginning to calm.

I was ill for 15 years with anxiety and depression, and when I started on SSRI's I recovered.  It took a long time - but they were my miracle.  I've been well ever since.

You're probably feeling very achey because anxiety causes muscles to ache.  Also sitting playing x-box isn't good for your muscles either - a little exercise will help.  I can thoroughly recommend yoga - ok it may not seem too cool for a 23 years old, but it will help.

Citalopram will not cause sudden death or heart problems.  The maximum dose was reduced in the UK some years ago as too high a dose could cause problems.  Of course any medication not taken correctly will harm you, but this medication is there to help just as someone has to take diabetic medicine or epilepsy medicine.  These will help you.  They helped me and they helped my son.

Some people are nervous taking the medicine, and they can be tough, but they're OK, really, and it only lasts for a few weeks.  

Post on here daily, ask questions etc - there's many people here who will help.

You're not alone.  You will get better.

K xx

• Posted

Hi katecogs

I woke up this morning feeling so low has intrusive thoughts all day I feel like I've gone backwards big time I know you say hang in there and I will have these ups and downs but could theses meds be coursing theses intrusive thoughts?

• Posted

Did you have the intrusive thoughts before you started the meds?

When you're healing on these meds it's really hard to see any progress.  Yes the meds could be causing the thoughts to be more intense for the time being, especially as they do increase anxiety - which does wear off.  I never thoughts I'd be free of intrusive thoughts.  The thoughts make you anxious, and the anxiety keeps the theoughts going round your head.  These meds will calm the anxiety in time and the thoughts will get less intense as time goes by.

Sometimes I'd find my thoughts so overpowering it felt quite unbearable.  Yes you will be up and down on these meds for some time - feeling quite low at times.  It's tiring and very frustrating.

I used to tell myself that the thoughts were just part of the illness, the anxiety, and that they'd go in time.  It was hard to believe it, to feel it, but I told myself that anyway.  True enough, in time they did disappear.

• Posted

Wow really appreciate your story. Glad it all worked out for you guys. I am taking half of one of these 20mg cits tomorrow morning and from that day on see how it all pans out. I will try to exercise more and give my brain a break from xbox but there's only so much I can do when I can't get out my house and I'm stuck inside bored all the time. I try to help my parents a such as they need me, that's about all I can do. Thanks for your reply and thanks for the support!

Daint x

• Posted

Yes understand the x-box helps especially when playing live, as you chat to people.  My son used to.  Just remember the breaks :-)

Something that helped me me many years ago was some books by Dr Claire Weekes - Help from Nervous Suffering and other books by her - all about anxiety, depression and especially about being unable to leave to house.  You may find them useful.  It helped to unravel some of the mystery for me.

Good luck with the meds and keep in touch with everyone.

K x

• Posted

I mentioned some books in my post and it's being moderated ???  Hope it gets published for you.
    • Posted

Thanks katecogs

Yes I had intrusive thoughts before these meds but I was on sertraline before for 3 months if I can get these thoughts under control I think things will get better I'm going to have to stop mooing and just get on with things 😃

• Posted

Yes one of the worst things I had was intrusive thoughts - 24/7.  I couldn't understand how they'd ever go, because just thinking of them caused so much anxiety.  As time went by I seemed to develop more - stupid things too, but they bothered me so much.  Anyhow, the meds calmed the anxiety and so the thoughts began not to bother me and eventually was able to dismiss them.  I've been well for many years now and I can't thank the SSRI's enough.
    • Posted

Is your son and yourself still on Cit? If so how long have you been on them? I still haven't managed to take a pill yet. I just keep wishing there was a better way. I'm not gonna lie, I'm petrified of the unknown.

Daint x

• Posted

That's so good for you 😄So I guess over time my anxiety sould ease and so sould the thoughts I'm just in patient thinking the meds arnt working for me and I've gone all this way again I just need to give them more time 😬Sorry to keep bothering you but is it normal for these thoughts to still be their after 12weeks ?
    • Posted

Awh please take your meds as its the only way to feel better.

Everyone has different side effects you may not get as much as others.

Take them please as they will help you lead a normal life .

Remember if in doubt post you will always get ppl who reply which helps ease your mind .

Debi x

• Posted

Yes my son is still taking his meds (he takes Fluoxetine though) but has started reducing them.  I take Citalopram and I started on 20mg, recovered, and after a few years reduced to 10mg and am now taking only 5mg as a maintenance dose.

You'll be fine taking them.  When I started I thought it was better than carrying on as I was.  The side effects I experienced were similar to what I was feeling anyway and I only had heightened anxiety for a day or 2.  They're not terrifying, they're just medicine.  People take medicine for all sorts of ailments, and most give side effects.

Everyone is different and everyone has a different experience on the meds.  I was only 20 when I first became ill and was 35 when I started taking them.  Best thing ever.  I have my life back.

​Everyone here will help.

K x

• Posted

Hey, you're absolutely not bothering me at all.  It's really hard to feel any light at the end of the tunnel.  For me, I didn't know what else to do, so I just persevered.  

Yes it's normal for the thoughts to still be there after 12 weeks.  Some people get better quicker, some longer.  I also found there was little to gauge progress on - but looking back I could see very slight improvement.  That's how it worked for me - so slight I hardly noticed it happening.

It is so frustrating waiting to get better.  It will happen.  Just keep persevering, however bad you might feel, try and keep occupied, calm, exercise, eat well, sleep if you can ........ and slowly those changes will begin to happen.

K x

• Edited

Thanks katecogs

You are a lovely person that loves to help others thanks you so much for your advice I really value it 😃 Keep in touch xx

• Posted

How long is it before I can expect to see a reaction? Like from the moment I swallow how long can I expect to feel some sort of effect?

Daint x

• Posted

No one can really answer that because everyone is different. I really didn't have any side effects, at least nothing that was worse than the anxiety I was experiencing already.
    • Posted

Everyone is different so it could be immediately or it could be after a few days.  Then again you might not get any reaction.  A lot of people feel a bit nauseous and heady, but nothing is going to be scary for you if you take the meds.  Your anxiety might feel a bit more heightened, but that only lasted a day for me.  Nothing will happen to you xxxx

If you feel concerned maybe see your doctor and ask to take a much smaller amount to ease onto the meds.

The meds will help you in time.  Trust them xx

• Posted

Yea I kinda asked a stupid question, since everyone is different. I'm just hoping it will all be fine rolleyes thanks for the support though Kate. Really do appreciate it. I have already cut my tablet in 2 so it's 10mg and as soon as I take one plan to finish the first packet off all the way 10mg then next pack just take the full 20mg. I hate swallowing pills as it is so should be fun when the time comes. I don't even take paracetamol or anything like that cuz I'd prefer to stay medication free. I understand this all has to be done though. Just working my way to it 😞

Daint x

• Posted

There are no stupid questions! Deciding to take an anti-depressant is a big deal and you need to be okay with trying it. I think you will be pleasantly surprised that it isn't as bad as you think. If you do have start up side effects, for most people they don't last very long. 

I think starting with 10 mg is defintiely a good idea! 

• Posted

There are when it comes to me I've heard everyone say "everyone's different" but I never seem to take any notice. I just expect someone to know how I'm gonna feel ha which is stupid. I know I have to take them to get better and that's the bottom line. I'm just fearing that they possibly make me worse. To the point I can't get back to being the anxious me either.

Daint x

• Posted

Believe me...I am still wanting someone to be able to answer the questions you have and I am a lot further along than you are!! 

I really don't think a doctor would intentionally prescribe a medication that would permanantly make you worse. You may or may not feel worse for a little bit, but more than likely it will be very short lived if there are side effects.

• Posted

Yea I listen to all the negatives and never take in the positives which I should. But it's way easier said than done.

I dunno about the doctor but he seemed to check his computer more than concentrate on what was best for me. But maybe that's just me looking too deep into it and he was just looking over my files or something x

• Posted

It's not a stupid question at all - everything you or anyone asks is important :-)

My son also couldn't take tablets, so it was a challenge for him at first, but it was fine and he's used to it now.

I prefer to also be medicine free, but people throughout the world take meds for all sorts - blood pressure, heart, diabetes, and if they're going to make you better it's a good thing.

You'll be fine x

• Posted

Hmm, can you take these tablets with say milk or anything like that? Maybe that's more a question for a doctor really but I find milk helps when I take antihayfever tablets. So maybe I might use milk for these. I'm sure it couldn't make that much of a difference.

Daint x

• Posted

Yes I'm sure drinking milk with the meds is fine.  My son does.  Either milk or water (usually a huge pint glass). :-)

I just read you're getting a puppy!!  How exciting!  My daughter recently got a Pug (2 years old) and it's the funniest thing ever.  So cute, very loving and likes to sit on people's feet.

Im sure you'll have lots of fun, and it'll be so,good for you.

Let us know all about him/her 😄🐶

• Posted

I should be okay then, and yea it's a Japanese Akita crossed with a Germany shepherd. I think it's 8 weeks old, black and tan, not back yet so I can't tell if he's well behaved or not but either way. I love animals regardless. Got a rabbit too, not sure if the puppy will get along with it but the puppy is good with cats so who knows. smile

• Posted

That sounds a nice cross! My friend had a Japanese Akita - pretty dog.  I'm sure thr puppy will be great friends with the rabbit :-)  Yes my daughters dog loves her cats - she seems to be collecting a zoo!
    • Posted

So.. I've just taken my first half a pill. Nerves are ramped up but only cuz of initially taking it. Gonna hope only good happens.

The puppy is lovely, very friendly and very playful hah ☺

Daint x

• Posted

Well done - hope all is well and the puppy is keeping you occupied.

What have you called him?

K x

• Posted

Had a headache most of the day. Felt tired all day but nothing too bad, had the feeling of a lump or pill stuck at the back of my throat which is annoying. fingers crossed for the rest of the treatment it all stays light.

We named him Max hah such a simple name but I like it either way smile

D x

• Posted

Yes the meds can make you feel heady.  You might feel nauseous sometime, and may feel a bit anxious.  Don't worry, it won't last ...... just thought I'd say in case you get worried by it.  Glad the first tablet was easy.

Max is a great name.  Enjoy every moment with him - he sounds adorable.

K x

• Posted

I had a pretty bad nights sleep. Must have had only 2 and a half hours. Feel super tired. Did you have that at first too? Does it wear off after a fee days? Hearts been pounding for the last hour while I've been trying to get back to sleep. Which isn't helping cuz I'm thinking about it, trying to calm it down.

D x

• Posted

Ah yes, forgot that.  Sorry.  You may well get insomnia which is another side effect.  Yes it does wear off but you might have it for more than one night.  Many suffer from it to start with, and it's annoying.  Try not sleep during the day as you need to be sleepy at night.  Try a hot drink before bed, no computer screens before bed either as they keep you awake sad and if it becomes a real problem see your doctor as he might prescribe something temporarily to help aid sleep.

Symptoms all are normal.  Even a pounding heart.  It'll calm.  Try and have a relaxing day.

Remember this is the path to helping you recover.  You'll be fine xx

Hope Max had a good sleep and is settling into his new home :-)

• Posted

Is having a stiff jaw and teeth chattering a side effect? I hate this already. 2 days in and I'm already agitated.

D x

• Posted

Yes it is, though I never had those.  I did get an inner shake for a while though.  Remember it gets worse before it gets better - that's what's happening now.  Nothing will happen to you.  Count each day off and remind yourself you're beginning the healing process.  Just hang on in there, get through this initial stage and it will lead to you're being well again.

Keep in touch and keep posting.

Say hi to Max for me xx

• Posted

I feel Dizzy all day, keep telling myself to be positive but it's difficult. I haven't spent much time with Max cuz of how I've been feeling. Feel bad for rabbit too rolleyes lol love animals but I don't feel like fussing them cuz of this. Brain fog and dizziness is killing my mobility. I spent the last 2 days mostly lying down on my bed just staring at the ceiling not even bothered to watch TV or play Xbox. My pupils in my eyes are massive too. Not had anyone say anything about having that experience so I'm trying not to look in mirrors. I'm praying this is gonna all blow off and not come back by the end of this week... It sucks. I haven't even tried to go outside anywhere yet either.

D x

• Posted

Treat yourself kindly as if you had a large dose of flu.  You're going to feel out of sorts for a bit.  These meds are slow to work - real slow.  But they will help so much.  Everyone on this site has been through this and they're fine.  It's unpleasant, but it'll be fine.  Can you talk to your parents?  My son suffered on his meds and I helped him through it all.  He didn't play Xbox or anything either for a while.  He hit some low times a few times, but he eventually levelled out and is back to full health now.  

It gets easier.  Promise x

• Posted

I can't do it rolleyes I'm having a horrible time right now. I'm stopping. I hope you understand and I'm sorry I've wasted your time. I just can't do it. Read too much. I think I'm just better off dealing with my panic attacks. I don't want to mess my brain up. These drugs are doing just that. I can't push myself to poison myself. I'm going to try more herbal remedies, pure exercise and healthy eating. If not of that works, I will just have to deal with it. If I could be promised a couple of months of pills and ill be off and sorted, I'd do it. But I was told this would be a lifetime thing. I'm hoping I shouldn't have too many withdrawals since I only took 20mg in 2 days. But I never want to be dependant and that's what these are. They bump you up in dosage when your body begins to tolerate it then you do it again. There's no ending. I'm glad it's working for you and your son and anyone else out there. I'll just have to find my own way rolleyes

D x

• Posted

Can you cut your dose in half and just take 10 mg? There are lots and lots of people who take a minimum dose for years and years and never need to increase. As a matter of fact, many times people can come back down to a maintenance dose and do quite well. 

I am not sure what herbal remedies you plan to take, but be careful. Those can often be worse than a prescription drug that has gone through rigorous trails and testing. 

Everyone here wants you happy and healthy! You of course need to decide how you will accomplish it.

• Posted

I did cut my dose in half. I was given 20mg tablets. I cut it in half and took first 10mg on Tuesday, just felt uneasy all day, had a really bad night sleep Tuesday night, took my second half Wednesday morning. Felt horrid all day. Noticed my sex drive was gone entirely. Felt Dizzy off balance. Miserable day and now I'm lying trying to sleep. It's nearly 3am here. I'm tired. My body is exhausted and I just can't sleep. My thoughts are blocked by these drugs I can't even think about positive things, can't get any good image in my head that's how I usually get to sleep. All day I've just had the same few songs going on and on in my head. I haven't even listened to any music and I haven't been able to stop it. So its the drugs. They're messing me up. No good for me, sorry.

D x

• Posted

Also my heart is pounding in my chest. I've got dry mouth to the point 3 seconds after ive swallowed water. I need another sip. I'm just not used to this. I don't plan on dealing with it for another few weeks. I'm not mentally strong enough to go thorough it
    • Posted

You don't need to apologize! I am sorry you are having such a rough time. I wish I could help you through it. Can you speak with your doctor tomorrow about this? Your side effects seem pretty severe. 

I understand and what you are going through. I tried Paxil and had to stop after 5 days. 

• Posted

Hi,

I am on day 21 today and I have had bad side effects like you they are not as bad now, I have nearly had all the side effects possible, I was going to stop taking the citalopram but I got some propranolol to take the edge off, I take it three times a day, it does make you little tired but does really help, maybe it's worth asking your doctor for some. I was like you I tried doing it by myself thought I was getting better then about four week ago wham it hit me again the anxiety and the panic worse than before, the citalopram is helping us even though we don't think it is, it's trying to leave out the chemicals in our brain, so in one respect your right it is messing with us but only to get us well again. For the sex drive my doctor told me about this and he said in most case it comes back and it can be lot better than before. I am finding it hard and my husband had to have off work and stay home with me at first, it does get easier, speak with your doctor before you stop taking. Am back in with my doctor today just to have chat nothing else no up dose just a chat it does help I see him at least once a week if not once every two weeks depending how I feel.

Like you too I do not sleep while on citalopram but I did not before I started taking because the anxiety was too much, last two days been pretty good for me today rather tired and I think that contributes to us feeling more anxious too. You will do what you think is best for you, I hope it all works out for you. :-)

• Posted

Hey Daintonlee

Sorry for the late reply, only just got up.  I'm so sorry you're having a tough time - and you are not wasting my time - I'm only too glad to help.

As the other said too, this is only temporary - the first couple of weeks are tough.  Of course it isn't for everyone.  Can you talk to your parents how you're feeling?  Could you maybe cut the tablet again and take 5mg - it might lessen the side effects.

You will never be dependant on these meds - they are not addictive.  You don't have to take more and more doses to make you feel well.  I've taken these for many many years and now only take 5mg as a maintenance dose.  I think you're reading it wrong - yes your body takes a while to tolerate them, and then that's when it's best to up the dose, but this it talking about getting to your desired dose.  You don't keep increasing as years go by.  They are not addictive.  If they were, then the 15 years I've taken these would mean I'd be sky high in them now 😳 lol ..... but I only take 5mg.

They're not necessarily a lifetime thing - hardly anyone takes them for life.  Usually at least a year of taking them will help the illness not to return.  Remember, some people take lifelong meds for all sorts of ailments - diabetes, blood pressure, epilepsy etc etc.

These meds will not poison you.  All meds are for a reason.  They will help you in the end.  Personally for me, I'd been ill for 15 years and taking the meds and having the side effects felt no different to what I'd been suffering anyway.

If though you do decide these really, really are not for you and you can't tolerate them, and you decide to go down the herbal route, may I strongly recommend a natural SSRI - 5-HTP.  These are brilliant, have absolutely no side effects and you can start/stop them without any adverse effects.  They work quickly.  You need to take l-tyrosine with them.  Both can be bought in Holland & Barrett if you're in the UK.  5-HTP and l-tyrosine.  I read a good book called 5-HTP The Natural Way to Overcome Depression, Obesity by Michael T Murray.

Do consider these herbal meds - they really do work and are considered to be as effective.  I've taken them before and had good results.  I only restarted Citalopram when my son became ill and it became too much for me.

Do go speak to your doctor though.

How are feeling now.

K x

• Posted

Morning katecogs

Each morning I wake it's so horrible feel so jittery anxiety intrusive thoughts after 12weeks sould this still be happening ?im so confused don't know how much longer I can take this a few weeks ago that feeling went now it's back are you sure this is normal after all this time ?

• Posted

I just don't feel mentally capable of going through it. I feel somewhat better cuz of the fact I'm not taking another pill. I did something stupid and watched a video last night that was taking about how SSRIs kill the brain. And that 90% of serotonin is created in the gut, not the brain. That's put me on edge and my heart was racing last night. Thought I Was generally gonna die. I calmed myself down. And decided to get all the info I could before I take something that even doctors don't know how it works, only theoretically. I just feel like i'm being experimented on, and the side effects suck. I don't know how I'm going to cope if I were to have these next week as I've got to go to the job centre and work program. So I just feel a need to stop rolleyes

I will look into the natural SSRI but if it's for depression it would be no good for me. I don't suffer depression, just anxiety and panic attacks.

D x

• Posted

I just don't have the mental strength to go through with it. Found a video that talked about how SSRIs kill the brain and 90 percent of serotonin is made in the gut. I feel like i'm being experimented on and it's horrible. I feel better about not taking another pill to be honest. Doctor will only prescribe me something else. So I'm stuck again. Really don't want to take pills. Just can't deal with the racing heart at night, insomnia and I don't want to be taking more pills just to sleep. I wish I could be like you and have family that understand and I could talk to and rely on but I don't. My parents just want me to get a job and get over it. I have no physical support rolleyes

I feel better about not taking another pill.. I know I will probably feel at least human for the day. Instead of just wanting to lie down and not talk to anyone.

D x

• Posted

Ah I didn't think that post went through and typed it out twice... my bad
    • Posted

You're a lot stronger than me. I can't deal with 21 days of side effects like these, at least with anxiety I would be able to clean up around my house and hoover the stairs. I just feel useless on these pills I don't have the energy to do anything. Yet I can't sleep. There's no winning. I'd love to know how people still go to work while starting these. I panic for them. rolleyes

D x

• Posted

Hi daintonlee,

My anxiety was getting to the point I did not want to leave the house, I also have four year and two year old, I had been recommended citalopram by a friend that took it for few years, she suffered with anxiety and panic attacks to the point it was making her depressed. She as not been taking citalopram for years now and to this day she as not had anymore anxiety or panic attacks. So I thought I would request them from the doctor because I was finding it so hard,, well it is amazing how I have had just about every side effect and still continue to have some after 21 days. {My doctor think I am sensitive to medication} my friend never had a single side effect and after two week of taking them she felt great. I guess everybody reacts differently.

I have had good chat with my doctor today about half hour we just spent chatting about the citalopram amongst other things. {nothing of interest really}. But just to be able to speak to your doctor about how your feeling and what your going through really helps. Today we have decided that 21 days is still really early and we are just going to leave my medication as it is for the time been, which I am really pleased about because I was worried about having my meds up and getting all the bad side effects again. I have had a really good morning, at the moment I don't feel too good, really tired, anxious but the tiredness could becausing the anxious feeling. Well I think I have gone on enough now. Hope your feeling ok. 😀

• Posted

Hi Don

Yes it is normal.  People get better at different rates, and some suffer worse than others.  It was the hardest battle I ever had to undergo.  It seems like the torture is never ending - every day you have that sudden gush of anxiety in the morning upon waking, those anxious thoughts that plague your mind constantly, that constant trying to remind yourself you will get better and then that negative voice that always tells you that you won't get better, causing yet more anxiety.  The times I cried in frustration .....

There is no definitive time ..... but most people find around 3-4 months they start seeing improvement, and some people take a lot longer.  From there on recovery improves over time.  My son took 9 months and it was very emotional and painful to watch.

You are not going to wake and suddenly find it all gone.  It happens very gradually.  Today might be bad but tomorrow you may start to notice a difference ... or it could be next week.  These meds are weird in how they work.

Some people find that just as its getting too much to bear, they turn the corner.  You have come such a long way - are so nearly there.  A few weeks ago you said you felt slightly better and now it's gone.  Yes that's exactly how these meds work.  You may only glimpse that feeling of recovery starting, only to have it snatched away again - but it will come back.  You'll find you may have weeks feeling low then suddenly start feeling ok again.  This will keep happening, and each time you go backwards it'll feel like you'll never get better.

As hard as it may seem, try and accept you're going to feel bad for a while, the thoughts are going to bother you for a while longer, but remember they are the product of anxiety.  As the meds start levelling out and the anxiety starts lifting, so will the thoughts.  You're in a cycle of anxiety, thoughts, anxiety, thoughts ......... Every time you have a bad thought, try and say this is temporary and it will go.  Try not to check if your anxiety has gone, don't rush from pillar to post hoping to get rid of the anxiety and thoughts ...... they'll follow you.  Try and keep calm, go about your daily business as calm as you can - drive slower, don't rush and get het up, walk slower, take your time, try and get some exercise, walk in the fresh air ....... all of this whilst you wait.  

It's hard, so very, very hard.  It really does take months ........ I remember breaking down every time I visited my doctor, phoning him, desperately wanting it all to stop.  I even phoned the Samaritans once.  It did stop in time.  I didn't even know I was recovering as I had nobody to compare with who was taking these meds.  I just remember after months and months of taking them I suddenly realised I hadn't been thinking of my thoughts for a whole hour.  I felt lighter, lifted ...... and even felt scared of feeling happy!!

You may wake feeling bad for quite a while yet ..... but that doesn't mean the rest of day will be like that.  It wasn't for me.  I'd wake and feel dreadful, full of anxiety, but started to notice that as the day wore on I'd feel a bit better.  This increased more as time went by until one day I woke with no anxiety.  Nothing.  It had gone.  I did have times when it came back, but it always disappeared.  Now I don't get anxiety or bad thoughts at all - even if I think of what I used to, they don't bother me anymore because I don't have anxiety at all now to keep them there or give them impact.

So many people give up on these meds, so many before they've reached their full potential.  It's such a dreadful illness to endure and the meds can be hard to endure to.  My thoughts were always 'what have I got to lose .... what do I want to go back to'.

Hang on in there like your doctor suggests.  Hang on in there, however tough it gets.  Give it more time.  Yes maybe a slight dose increase may be the push you need, but your doctor seems to be a good one and knows what's best.

I feel for you.

Sorry for the long post ......

• Posted

Hi Daintonlee

I'm so sorry you've had an unpleasant experience on the meds. Yes watching videos, reading negative articles on SSRI's doesn't do your anxiety any good.  Remember, there are equally, or not more, positive and more scientific posts about these meds. 

Low levels of Serotonin cause anxiety, depression, insomnia, panic disorders, carb cravings, and a whole host of other conditions.

It doesn't matter where serotonin is made, is what's done with it in the brain that's important.  Serotonin is a neurotransmitter and is absolutely essential for the brain.  It's a chemical that carries vital signals from one cell to another.  SSRI meds don't increase Serotonin, but they hang onto it before it's reabsorbed into the brain, and this abundance of Serotonin ta hangs around a bit longer makes us feel good, lifts our anxiety and / or depression.

You're not being experimented on.  Thousands of people have taken, or still take this med for anxiety, depression and other problems.  These are a common medication for this condition, and one that works for many people.  Having anxiety, as I've had, gives you an over anxious mind too so you seek out info which often makes you more anxious.  I've been there too.

Thr natural SSRI is for anxiety and depression, so yes it will help you.  

Citalopram isn't for everyone xx.  Do go back and see your doctor though.  And please do try 5-HTP and l-tyrosine - I promise there'll be no side effects like Cit. 

My best wishes

K xx

• Posted

I'm really happy that you're happy. I just can't put myself through it. It's too much. Which is a pathetic excuse since you've got children and you're still doing well. I wish I was like your friend but I'm not. I'm just not capable of dealing with all the side effects. Also had bouts of derealisation and depersonalisation on this medication. I felt emotionless. Couldn't even smile at the puppy we got. Just felt nothing. I feel better today abs I haven't had a tablet. Only thing I got is a headache and I'm tired cuz I had insomnia last night again.

D x

• Posted

Thank you so much for your help. I'm gonna look into the natural SSRI I might feel better on something like that.

D x

• Posted

Thanks again for your great advice sorry I keep posting to u it's just hard at the moment I'm going to do my best to stick at it 😀
    • Posted

Hey, no worries at all.  Glad I can help.  When I was suffering the same as you I also needed answers, encouragement etc.  Keep posting xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.