New to citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

only taken 1tablet. Feel very sick. is this normal?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Yvonne,

Well, it is possible to feel some affect with just one tablet.  Everyone is different, and reacts differently, and our tolerance levels are different, so I would not be surprised if you felt it.  I do know in the beginning, first 5-8 weeks it is completely normal for people to have some side effects.  Not everyone will have them as bad as others, if at all.  It just depends on the person.  What time of day did you take your first tablet?  Sometime that can make a difference.  My doctor did tell me to take it 30 minutes before bed with a small amount of food.  I had a awful time sleeping, I was lucky to get 2-3 hours a night, so this helped me sleep, Thankfully!!  Also, I did not get the foggy head, upset tummy, heightened anxiety, and depression, a lot of the other people got, what I did get was very mild.  A friend of mine was put on Cital at about the same time, and her doctor told her to take it at night, 30 minutes before bed with a small amount of food as well, and she did well too.  You might want to give it a try...see how you do.  I know others on this site take it before bed as well, and it has helped them too.  

You might start to feel better after a couple of weeks, then you might feel like you have taken a few steps backward, and this is normal.  Don’t get discouraged, as this means the Cital is working.  In the beginning, you might feel a heightened anxiety and depression, this too is normal.  All I can tell you is to hang in there as best you can.  

This forum is here for you, to help you through this difficult time.  There are a lot of wonderful people here, with a lot of great advice, and understanding!  There is no judgment here, as we all have either been through, or are going through something similar to what each of us are, or have gone through, so we do understand!  I just wish I had found this forum sooner than I did!  But it has helped me a great deal!!! 

I know the beginning can be rough, and you might want to give up, but keep posting, and asking questions, you are not alone, we are here for you!  If you can, keep talking to your family and friends, your doctors, as they need to know how things are going for you.  If it gets really difficult, there are things they can do to get you through the really rough spots.  Do not adjust your own doses, as Cital is a very powerful medication, and must be done with your doctor’s knowledge, and the same goes with coming off of the meds.  Also, drinking alcohol is a big no-no especially in the beginning!!  Alcohol is a depressant...and as you can imagine, the two will work against each other, and just make the meds useless.  Same with recreational drugs.  I am not saying you are going to do any of those things...just information for you.  If you have started Cital, it is for a reason, so you are ready for a commitment to help yourself to get well, like the rest of us.  I hope I didn’t scare you!!  But, you do need to know.  I wish you luck!!  Remember...we are here for you!!  Feel free to keep posting any questions, or just to talk!!  You take care!!  Here is a BIG {{{{HUG}}}} for you!! 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I will try taking my tablet tonight with food just before I go to bed. I also have shaking but have had that most mornings. I think it's anxiety. I have been in a horrible place and just want to get better. Thank you for the hug 

• Posted

Like others I really wish I had found this site sooner and I would

have been a bit more knowledgeable about citalopram. It's right

this drug is for some people but believe me from personal

experience it's NOT for everyone- I'm sure all posters will agree

that much.

I won't go on but what I will say is get friends and family to monitor

your mood very closely over the coming weeks.My advice (and it's

not medical) if this drug is dragging you down get to the doctors

right away as your body, mind and citalopram don't agree with

each other.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I became very ill yesterday and am now being cared for by a mental health team who will come to my house every day. I wish you all well on the forum. I have been put on lorazepam and  venlafaxine. Great forum. So good to have support. 
  • Posted

im 6 weeks in and just started with constant nausea. my doc said thats ok an i shoud learn to live with it. hoping it goes nothing worse than feelking sick. hope yours passes soon x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.