New to citalopram

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi , I’m sorry as know this would of been asked several times but, have people suffered weight loss with ciatolpram ? As I’ve mainly had fluoxetine and been fine . 

Any help would be great thank you 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi when you first start on it you are likely to as your appetite goes for a few weeks x but once the meds start to kick in your apetite starts to come back
    • Posted

Thank you . Have noticed this also . I’m not hungry until dinner time x
  • Posted

I have been on citalopram for over 10 years I feel my appetite naturally fluctuates. Weight gain never been massive issue personally. +/- 1 stone
  • Posted

HI I am on escitalopram, similar to Citalopram, week 4, I have no appertight till 5pm, can have tea and biscuits, 5mg what are you on, also started sweating, anxiety not much better to be honest, I have lost 6 pounds, was 9 stone 10, now 9 stone 2, , feel flat in mind,
    • Posted

Hi I’m on 10mg but , only been on it fully for a week . I’ve noticed my anxiety increase and I feel flat also . 

I thought I would feel some increase in my moods etc due to coming off fluoxetine and onto citalopram x

• Posted

It will prob take 2-4 weeks til u notice improvement in mood and manageable anxiety. I know this from personal and professional perspective as I am a mental health nurse.
  • Posted

I was on citalopram for several years. All my doctor did was tell me you need to lose weight. I kept gaining and was at an all time high for weight. I started my own research and found out a side effect from that drug was weight gain. I gradually stopped took my time and got off nice and slow, the first 2 weeks I lost 10 lbs. which is huge in that amount of time. I got the flu and dropped another 8 so now I am at about 20 lbs and got into smaller clothes, I feel so much healthier and alive than I have in too many years to count. I am so grateful to have researched an found out how bad this was for me. Being 69 years old and gaining I knew I had to do something as I didn't want to become obese and unable to move, on the road to a slow horrible death. Well my fibro is loud and clear but I am losing weight and feel more clear headed. For me it was a clear choice to stop taking this drug. I hope everyone who has issues will do a little research and if you do decide to stop you have to do it very gradually. Good luck and best wishes to all of you!

• Posted

I too have gain on celexa..but found out that all ssris make you crave carbohydrates...so I stop eating anything that's white and lost 30pounds of the 40 I have gain from celexa..and iam still on celexa...so it does matter what you eat...while your on antidepressants...I also thought it was the medication ..but is not ...you are what you eat...take care..

• Posted

Hi Joanimal I am 67 and took citalopram for two years and gained weight too I am now completely off it and lost weight now weigh 66kg

only problem is high blood pressure now and started on BP meds and not happy about this so will look for natural ways of reducing BP and then with doctors approval come off these too

• Posted

My bp spiked as well but it went down so I will pay closer attention to that as well. Always something. Hang in there good job.😊

• Posted

Yes Emma  have lost 14 lbs in the 12 weeks I have been on them
  • Posted

I have hypothyroidism, Fibromyalgia and Graves disease which I think gave me more problems. I tried everything no energy, but since I stopped more energy and I feel more alive than I have for many years. I walk every day and feel good about myself again. Guess we are all different. I am happy you are able to lose I couldn't even giving up carbs and hardly eating much at all. Still gained like crazy. I am wearing pamts I wore befor taking Citalopram. Thanks for sharing.

• Posted

Thank you all for your comments 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.