New to Citalopram & experiencing horrible side effects - pls help!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

After a period of health anxiety my doctor prescribed me 20 mg of Citalopram. I have been taking it for just over a week but every day feel awful - intense burning throughout my body, can't sleep, pins and needles in feet and tight legs,, burning stomach. It feels like this drug is really damaging me. My doctor says I should give it a few more weeks to work, but should I feel this terrible? Am terrified I will get awful withdrawal symptoms if I quit but don't know if I can cope with this pain for much longer.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately citalopram like many other SSRIs do tend to make you feel very uncomfortable due to the side effects at the beginning, you feel worse before you get better, which is horrible because all you want is some relief.

It usually takes between 4-6 weeks for the side effects to subside and between 3-6 months for you to feel the benefits of citalopram. Most of us on here have been in your position and know exactly how horrendous the first few weeks are on this medication. But just to reassure you, they do work and you will feel better.

You have the option to possibly start at a smaller mg to lessen your side effects and the severity of them and gradually increase if you think that might help.

You will fight with yourself over the next few weeks and you will ask yourself whether it's worth sticking it out. But you have to push past it if you do want to at least give them a chance to work. Keep us posted and come on here for reassurance whenever you need, because these first few weeks are very tough, but you can do it.

• Posted

Thanks for your post. I understood I'd probably have some side effects but didn't think they would be so crippling. Just worry the burning stomach and burning/ numb feet aren't common side effects? Am taking Lansoprazole for the burning stomach but it doesn't seem to do anything. I had an instant reaction the first time I took a tablet. Looking at the website a lot of people get put on 10mg as an initial dose but my doctor said 20mg was the lowest dose. This is the first time I have experienced an antidepressant in my whole life (I'm 64) and my symptoms seem so extreme. Thanks for listening.

• Posted

Have you gotten a second opinion from a different doctor in regards to the burning side effect. I know someone else on here did have that and ended up coming off and switching meds (I think). You can get 10mg so your doctor is wrong to tell you 20mg is the lowest dose.

The side effects are brutal. I had a full 2 weeks where I could barely function, increased anxiety, nausea, sweating, headaches, insomnia, fatigue and loss of appetite and during this time I considered whether I could carry on like that because it literally feels like you'll never feel better again, but you do.

I'd suggest getting a second opinion on your side effects and whether 10mg is best for you to start on to ease the severity of these side effects.

• Posted

Also, I had a terrible start to this medication and when I came off them before I had absolutely no withdrawal side effects so don't worry about that. Everyone is different.

• Edited

Try to push through. I have just got to 9 weeks (10mg for 3 weeks then 20mg for 6 weeks) and am starting to feel the benefits. My side effects were crippling! Anxiety was through the roof, i could nt eat or think straight, insomnia, upset stomach, sweating! I now feel like i m getting somewhere, the anxiety is still at the back of my mind but i am able to do all the things i need to do and function much better! I think if we were nt in another lockdown i would be feeling even better but current times and lack of distractions does nt help!

Keep with it if you can........ you will get there!

Only thing to bear in mind is everytime you go up a dose the side effects come back, so i had to go through them teice was was nt great!

• Posted

@red1234 i was exactly the same, i still have my anxiety trying to play its silly game but I'm much better than i was before. I'm currently having a hard week so I'm more low than i would be, so anxiety is more sensitive too. I'm hoping next week (be 9 wks on 20mg) will be better.

• Posted

Hi LG,

i am 27yrs old and 8wks on 20mg, it was my first dose and is my first time on Citalopram, and the side effects are extremely horrible! My anxiety was through the roof, couldn't eat, just wanted to sleep, and the sweating was crazy, i also got cold, stinging like flushes which was due to my anxiety being at its highest. It almost felt like a cold pins and needles all over my body.

But 8 weeks in and the loss of appetite has worn off, the sweating has calmed down, and the flushes are a lot less, i have had a few tough days (yesterday and today) so i am a bit worn out but other than that i feel fine. I do have to mention that my anxiety does still play its game but its much more controllable now than it was 3weeks ago.

The point to my post is, it will get better, you will feel worse before you get better, the side effects are hard to deal with, but please push through, i promise it will get better soon. But i would consult a different doctor about the burning stomach, i never experienced it myself but i can imagine how horrible it feels.

please take care and stay safe

• Edited

@LG53 i was prescribed citalopram about 8 weeks ago. I was prescribed 20 mg as well & the side effects for me were awful, as they are with most people it seems. My doc told me to actually cut my pill in half and start at 10 mg, which i did for 2-3 days. My side effects were still terrible, so i actually cut my pill in half again to start extremely slow at 5 mg. I have now been taking just 5 mg for about seven weeks now. Once i started on 5 mg, the side effects were much less severe and seemed to only last a week or two. I would suggest trying a smaller dose at first to help your body get used to it if your side effects seem unbearable. It is true that it does get worse before it gets better, but starting slower may help your side effects not be as severe. Best of luck! always remember there are lots of people on a journey very similar to yours, myself included!

• Posted

hello. i've been on 10mg for 10 days and feel awful as has been described but i'm also getting palpitations and adrenaline rushes. Has anyone had this? probably my anxiety?

• Posted

hi susan, yes it is normal, you'll find your anxiety will peak for a few days, but please fight through it, it gets worse before u get better, im now 12wks in and i still have blips but its so much easier. the first 6weeks are the hardest but it does get alot easier, i promise.

Stay strong 💜 x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.