New to ckd stage 3

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been fiagnosed since December 2016 but have had ckd for 6 yrs apparently. I saw a nephrologist who was kind and informative , bit I still feel a bit lost .

He started me in 2 x bp tablets that have worked . I have no related illness other than high bp.

I get terrible back ache , dehydrate quite quickly ( not so bad than need treatment) low levels of blood and protein in wee quote often . Recently I was suffering with nausea for about 3 months I do get swelling round ankle and fingers when I exert myself which is annoying . Ivette tired so quickly some time s and a general fatigue is always with me . My muscles hurt in legs and feet a lot

The nephrologist said he wasn't overly worried when I last saw him , I do feel there's been all the changes above since I saw him but I'm not sure what's related to ckd. Opinions seem to differ . I would love smh info , similarities etc if anyone can help .

Many thanks

Debbie

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Yep they can all be symptoms of CKD not all will get them at stage 3 and some have some far worse, this is due to us all being different.  I would make sure your iron and HB levels are ok as they seem to take a bit of a dive at stage 3 in some not all people.  This could be why you are feeling tired so its worth asking.

• Posted

Hi , thanks for responding . I find it really bewildering . I've had insomnia for about 3 monrhs too . Itchy skin , weight gain & wee loads . That might be diuretic but makes keeping hydrated a problem . HB level was spot on , not sure about iron though . I'm back at hospital August , I wish it was clearer and more information on symptoms and expectations .

I will ask about iron when I go . I eat veg and fruit daily so that must be a bonus , but then I read that some veg and fruit should be avoided . Minefield 😳

Many thanks

Debbie

• Posted

Hi,

Itching is one of the signs of high phosphate, ask what your levels are they can give you binders to eat with your food if it is high which will stop that.  No amount of cream or itching will get rid of the phosphate itch lol.  Fruit and veg is good but its common for our levels to drop no matter what we eat.  Avoiding stuff is a big no unless you are specifically told to do so by your dr.  You sound like you are referring to high potassium veg, thing is its not only in veg but you dont need to worry about this, if your potassium was high you would have been told and also told what to do about it.  If you lower your potassium and its in range you will put yourself in hospital that is why you should never change anything unless you are told to its dangerous.  Just avoid salt, low salt and ibuprofen, keep your BP in the limits even if that means controlling with meds and that is all you can do for now.  Ask if you can have access to patient view its brilliant.  It gives you your blood results, but also says what  the levels should be as a guide and gives info on what it means if they are higher or lower than what they should be.  If you are in the UK ask your dr and its free.  I love looking at mine! very interesting and useful.

• Posted

Thanks Helen . I'm in Worcestershire so I'll request that.

Your right when the itch itches nothing helps it short of ice cubes to freeze it , it usually my shins . I will reduce salt , I haven't used brufen and a few others since gp said no about two yrs ago . I manage on co codomol and very rarely tramadol . My bp is good now , two meds and regular exercise and it's a healthy 130/60. At most . I'll carry on eating as I do then . I have cut out a lot of salt and fat and very rarely have processed foods . I like the sound of being able yo keep track of blood results etc . My blood sugars went up to 7.9 but HB was 30 so def not diabetic thankfully . Thanks so much for all the suggestions and info . Anything is help full as there doesn't seem to be a pack of info given .

Best wishes

Debbie

• Posted

what stage are you
    • Posted

Hi , thanks for responding , I'm stage 3 . It's so bewildering . I do all the right things health wise . So consultant says he's not worried . But he was wandering why I had it as it's not a result of anything like diabetes or lupus . He has suggested a biopsy in future maybe . I was hoping for an info package of something after being diagnosed , wasn't prepared for diagnosis so don't ask many questions . Saw him again after to Chang bp tablets and going back in August. I think a lot had changed in last 3 months . Nausea , back pain , insomnia , fatigue Muscle pains , muscle twitches . I'm going I learn to manage it better . In time

Debbie 😊

• Posted

Hello Debbie,

I'm sorry about your diagnosis. My father is in stage 4 and I am scrambling to figure out a plan and to prepare myself to help him through.

Since I am a total newbie to this topic, I found this website for "the average Joe" helpful.

I hope this link works. Let me know if it does not and I will try again. This website explained the symptoms, stages, and process in laymen's terms so I could easily understand. From what I have read this far, try to do anything you can do to prevent you're being in stage 4. Try to prolong stage 3.

Best of luck to you,

Charlie

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi Charlie , could you send link via private message , that would be useful to me I think. It's good your there to offer support and are learning about it yourself . He's a lucky dad 😊

. It was removed off here and suggested it be sent by personal message .thanks again

Debbie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.