new to copd

Posted , 2 users are following.

hiya  ive  been  reading  some  of  your discussions,  and  i do  feel  better  reading  them.     im  seeing  my  GP  today  to discuss  about  my  early stages of  copd   and   he  will be  hopefully  getting  me  on some  medications.    ive  been  gradually  getting worse  with my  breathing  and  chest  pain  prob  since  january.   ive  been  treated  for  angina   has  i  had  my  heart  attack in  2015  and  have   had  probs  since  then  really.    im  am  feeling  upset  about it all   and  i have  cried  about  it.   i  feel  its  all my  fault.    im  59   i  started  smoking  when  i  was 39 smoked  for  18  yrs   and  gave up  in  2014.  average  15  to  20  a  day.   i  think  i  want  someone  to say  its  not  your  smoking  thats  done  this.    i   feel  guilty   remorse   i  feel  i dont  deserve   the nhs  to help  me  cos  its  all my  fault.    i  didnt  feel so  guilty  about  my  heart  attack  as  my  mum  and  my  uncle  both died  of  HA.     i  know  im  been  a  silly.   but  i  had  a  real good  cry  yesterday  to  my  husband,  so  hopefully   today  we  we  see our GP i  will hold  it  together.   it  just  seems  crazy  that   after i  gave  up smoking   ive never  been so  poorly  what  with the  heart  attack.   and  now the  chest  pain   and   breathless.   im  struggling  round  the  house  at  the  moment,   my  husband  helps  like  he  strip  the  bed  and  does  all that  cos  im  just  so knackered  and  out  of  breath.  i  would  be  grateful   if  you could  maybe   say  what  questions  i  should  be  asking  today.     ive  requested some  leaflets  from the  british lung  foundation  people.        i  think  im looking  for  answers   and  hoping  its  nothing to  do with smoking     im  kidding  my  self   dont  you  think.  thanks  for  listening.   well  you all will  be  in bed  cos  it  3.30 in  the morning.     i  seem  to   wake  up  a  few  times  through  the  night.  prob  cos  this  is   on my mind.     trying  some  hot  milk  just  now  lol   love julie  xxx

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie

I hope that you managed to get some sleep! I use warm milk sometimes, with some cinnamon & honey.

You quit smoking! That is phenomenal! Give yourself some credit, please. There are folks with COPD who still smoke who wish they had quit or could quit. As to deserving health care, do you think that alcoholics & junkies don't deserve care? What about over-eaters? Self-harmers, also known as cutters? Anorectics? What about Type A workaholics who have strokes and heart attacks before they're 50?

You deserve health care, and you have to believe that because you're going to have to be pro-active. What you need to know from the doctor now:

1. Are they certain that there's no heart or fluid problem adding to your breathing issues?

2. What are the results from your spirometry tests?

3. Which kind of COPD do you have, as it's an umbrella term for several lung diseases.

4. What medication can you try? Make sure you understand how to use each medicine. If there are inhalers, ask if a spacer would be helpful.

5. How long before you should notice improvement from the meds? This is important

• Posted

Sorry!

It's important to know how quickly youshould notice improvement because there are many different lung meds and some will work better than others.

6. Can you have a referral to pulmonary rehab, and are you strong enough to exercise, even if that means 3 minute walks indoors several times daily.

Someone else might add more questions. I'm in the States & we don'tget pulmonary rehab here unless we're at death's door, or very wealthy. But the good thing is that you're young, you quit smoking already, you've got a kind, considerate & helpful mate, and you're going to start taking care of your lungs. Exercise is key in maintaining what you've got. Eat properly. When you know which kind of COPD it is, go online & look for breathing exercises for that particular issue.

All of this is a lot, especially coming on top of the heart attack. Your life has changed, and that's definitely tear-worthy. But: you're still alive! You will learn to live WITH this!

You're in my prayers.

Aitarg

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.